Pine Trees

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've planted a few pines in our yard. One of them is growing rather weird. It is growing out instead of up. What I mean is it appears to be getting wider at a faster rate than it is getting taller. I planted it 4 years ago and have never trimmed it.
My question: do some pine trees need trimmed or shaped? If so what is the best time to do the trimming?

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I've never trimmed a pine tree except for lopping off or shooting off some dead branches before they fall on something. Mind you, I've never planted any either except for commercial production.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I sure did not think you had to trim or shape them like shurbs. The one in question was bought from a reputable nursery. Dang it. I wanted a nice big Norwegian pine.

Erik

if the top was damaged before (or after) planting, it may not be able to grow up from the main trunk. Sounds like you have a giant bonsai tree...
(Trees have growth zones just like kids have growth plates at the ends of their bones.)
Talk to the nursery and see if they'll cut you some slack on a replacement.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, I guess that is about all I can do.
Thanks!!!!!

jwstewar

Staff member
We planted a bunch of white pines several years ago and then more recently several Colorado Blue Spruces. I'm going to have to do some shaping on most of them. Not sure what the best way to it is. They are getting some funky shapes. I would like to get that "Christmas Tree" shape, just not quit sure how to get it. I figured I could you regular garden clippers, but with probably 200 trees that would take awhile. BTW, Originally it was 3,000 pines. But didn't get them all planted so only about 16 - 1,700 hundred were planted. Gave a few away. Some died. Wife and F-I-L introduced tons to the lawn mower. I got a few with the lawn mower. Deer did some in. I've got one now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Deer have killed the top of it. It now is going to be a white pine bush.:pat:

pappy19

Best time to prune evergreens is in the spring just before it starts to bud. If the top(terminal bud) isn't growing then it is either damaged or a tip moth got it. either way, if you want to start a new terminal take the best 2 branches closest to the terminal and tie them together so they are held in an upright position. Remove or cut off any other lesser branches on that whorl including the dead or damaged terminal end down to the whorl. After a year or two, usually one of the two tied branches will be tallest and growing nicely. Untie and cut the lesser one. After 2-3 years, you won't know the difference. When planting evergreens, it is most important that all of the roots are pointing DOWN when they are planted. If any are straight or "J" rooted, it will take many years for the roots to turn down and the tree will not grow very well until the roots are positioned in a downward position.

Pap (a forester in his former life)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info pappy. Thanks.
I have some white pines that were just a year or two old when I planted them. they've been in the ground two or three years and still are not even two foot tall. I bet the roots were messed up or the nursery mistakenly gave me midget pines. :bonk: