RTV rear bearing help

Mark.Sibole

I never did get to the bearings
I installed new joints and packed what grease I could get into the outer bearing and put it all back together
Hopefully It will be ok If not its a job for a later date
Just need to take it for a test drive now and see what happens
Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions

Regards

Mark

Art454

I have yet to replace anything yet....but if you have a center point in the middle of the shaft you might try putting on the nut flush with the threads and use a air chisel with a center point in it and it should move out then....viberation make things come apart much easyer...work on takinging out u joints with different chisel end and support were the bearing comes out with a socket that will be bigger than the cup and use chisel on the joint it self not the other side if the bearing.....this keeps from bending york as trying to press them out and bending the yorks.

Art

Mark.Sibole

Well Its all back together and took it for a test run
No leaks .
I do have 1 small problem maybe one of you may know about
At low speeds it runs fine and at high speeds its fine but there is at mid speeds a vibration???more feels like what you would feel on a Pick up in soft ground wheel hop/
It has been a month since I had it at high speeds due to the bad U joint ans just noticed it today.
Any Ideas on what it may be?
Possible bad lower ball joint?
I cant tell where its coming from it just shakes the whole RTV.
I did read that in the manual it stated you had to line up splines and they could only go in one way but only 1 spline had the extra wide groove on each side and the outer splines there were no wider grooves so it could basically slip in any way.
Did I miss something?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know Mark, but do you hear any noise? If it was the carrier bearing (carries the drive shaft from front to rear) it feels rough (all speeds) but you can hear a noise too. Do the wheels have any wobble when jacked up and "wiggled on", rotate smoothly when in neutral? Good Luck to you. bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF2115.JPG
    DSCF2115.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 78

Mark.Sibole

Checked all wheels right off the bat
all roll smooth.
I never thought about the mid shaft bearing
Ill check that as soon as I get dressed and head out to feed the chickens
Thanks for the suggestion
After 7 years of farm work and snow plowing things are starting to wear out on me.

Art454

When I had my 900 it made more noise in 4 wheel drive.....my 1100 does the same thing so I only use 4 wheel drive only when I need it.
That way the front wheels are just going 4 the ride.

I really like the atv tires on my 1100 rather than the worksite tires i had on my 900....I think the atv tires on better in the snow imo.
The atv tires clean out better so you don't have to sweep the floor all the time.

Art

cov62431

Follow BC's lead, that's where I'd put my money. Also check the yokes on the splines of the pinion shaft (front differential) and by the carrier bearing that BC has the picture of. Try to wiggle them up and down, they can make the rtv vibrate and cause a clunking noise if there is too much play. Driveshaft acts as if it is out of balance due to the play.

Mark.Sibole

Well what a mess lol
Ok I gave up on trying to pull the splines after another try at it.
Put the axel back on for the 4th time in 3 days
Test drive vibrates reak bad between 25 and 15 MPH.
Double check drive shafts and mid shaft bearings.ALL GOOD.
I sit back and say a few words I cant or wont repeat here.
Jack it back up and put jack stands onder the rear.
Thinking to myself what can be wrong so I decided to tey to narrow it down
On jack stands vibrates bad.
So this tells me something in the rear end or transmission.
I make sure the u joints are synced.
All looks good.
I decide for some reason to pull rear tires start it up put it in high.
Low and behold no vibrations.
Pack up the tires and head to my friends garage
Put them on balance machine and 1 tire was real badly out of balance
We check it out and all of my vibrations came from a tire that the belt slipped in.
All this time figuring it out I could have just fixed it with a lousy tire!
Looks like a new set of tires in the future
I have the off road tires now and am debating on the turf tires as I use this on the pavement a lot.
Any one have any expierence with turf tires in the snow???

Mark

Kanook

Well what a mess lol
I have the off road tires now and am debating on the turf tires as I use this on the pavement a lot.
Any one have any expierence with turf tires in the snow???

Mark

It never would have crossed my mind that your tires were the cause. Car or pickup truck they would be the 1st thing to suspect...but a RTV...but then again you state a lot of pavement driving..I would suspect that most RTV out there seldom if ever touch the pavement...so there could be other tires out there with similiar failure and the owner doesn't even know..

Did you declare in previous posts what geographical area you reside in? What kind of "snow" conditions are you likely to encounter..Will you be driving on snow covered pavement or knee deep back woods conditions. My 900 has the original (knobby type..what ever they are called) and work very well in snow as they self clean as they go. Is the snow that hit the ground last December the last to disappear in April as is the case in my locale or do you get snow that is pretty much disappeared a week later as is the case with some more southern areas. Snow is like heat and cold....all relative....-40 in Florida is catastrophic....-40 here is plug in the RTV block heater and put on an extra pair of sox.

Thanks for the info...

Mark.Sibole

Kanook
I live in Northern Michigan
Our snow gets deep to say the least
A dusting up here is generally 8 to 10 inches
We average over 7 feet of snow in a season.
My driveway is 1/4 mile long and I use the RTV to plow it.
With the limited amount of ground clearance its hard to do much off road in the winter here
Right now about 12 inches is the most it can handle.
As for pavment driving id say 60 percent is on pavment
This is basically my wheel chair for the woods and I use it for everything including shuttling back and forth to my Observatory,feeding the birds running around where ever i end up and use it to drive to my hunting spots about 3 miles away.
The off road tires are good in the snow but the only downfall I do see with them is they dig fast if you get hung up in the deep snow and can be a bear to get out once burried.
So Im really wondering if the other turf tires will be at least decent in the snow

Regards

Mark

Kanook

Kanook
I live in Northern Michigan
Our snow gets deep to say the least
A dusting up here is generally 8 to 10 inches
The off road tires are good in the snow but the only downfall I do see with them is they dig fast if you get hung up in the deep snow and can be a bear to get out once burried.
So Im really wondering if the other turf tires will be at least decent in the snow

Regards

Mark

Northern Michigan rates as plug..er..in and put on the extra woolies in my book. Total snowfall 3 winters back was 14ft for the season here locally..Obviously some of it melted and/or compacted but it was the 2nd highest accumulation on record. The last 2 winters were wimps by comparision.Good luck on your tire acquisition and hopefully some one else has recommendations based on your requirements. There are many other forum members from "snow country"

Kanook

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I would go with turf tires and chains for your conditions. We have a member (Onfoot) up in the NW territory who uses this setup for all his winter running and plowing. I don't run mine for plowing as I have other equipment for that. Hopefully Onfoot will chime in with his advice.