Vertical vs Horizontal Exhaust

MF2615Fred

I've contacted AGCO questioning why the 2 are not offered as an option at the time of a new tractor purchase. I paid $278 for the H kit, is listed as an accessory, which is an upgrade and should be an option.

The H kit is a clean, out of the way setup, does not interfere with my loader or any implement, as far as I can see. You don't see exhausts sticking up through the hoods of cars; why are tractors this way?

A spark arrestor can be added if fire is a hay field is a concern.

Growing up my uncle had a white MF40 with an H kitted exhaust. My dad's was a red MF35 with the V kit. I always like Uncle Harold's tractor more than Dads'.

MF2615Fred

Researching different opinions on the subject, pro and con, I've compiled a list.

Pro for V; exhaust fumes are expelled more effectively, less harmful in agriculture applications, less chance of fire in dry conditions.
Con; more heat/exhaust noise for operator, increased chance of damaging exhaust manifold from striking low obstacles, less 'clean look' installation.

The pro and con for H install are opposite the V.

That's my list. My one and only concern on the V install is damage from a strike. The 2635 tractor has a protective manifold brace whereas the 15 does not. Strike the pipe and it will snap the manifold. Not with this tractor, but don't ask me how I know.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have both options on my tractor and I prefer the V.

When using the loader, whenever the loader arm went over the exhaust, it would change its direction and seem to route it right to the operator.

MF2615Fred

Of course, I now have both options but would go to the V only if the H would interfere with an implement.

I heat wrapped the new header pipe because it runs just inboard, touches (does not ride hard) the stationary arm of the loader mount and close to the hydraulic power steering lines, that I also heat wrapped. The kit also included a heat shield that mounts around the silencer (muffler).

The Tier ll diesel engine drowns out any exhaust sound, so the exhaust note makes no difference, whether in V or H mode on my 2615.