71 Ford 3000 power steering connections

John McKinsey

Replaced the lines, hydraulic cylinders and struts for my steering/power steering systemon my 71 ford tractor. Once fired up and runnignit became apparant that I crossed at least one set of lines as the steering appeared to fight itself. If you let go of the steering wheel it could go into a back and forth rotation. Finally one of the hydrualic lines leading to the steering pump blew a leak.

So before fixing the leaking hose, I need to figure out how to connect the hydrualic cylinders. Each one has two lines so there are four lines coming off of the steering pump. How do you determine which line goes to what port on each cylinder?

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Your NewHolland dealer has parts diagrams and service manuals that can help you. Thes should be willing to print out copies of the pages you need. Good luck.

And welcome to Net Tractor Talk!

John McKinsey

Thanks, though my dealer has been helpful they really do not seem too informed on older Ford tractors. I purchased my power steering repair parts from them but the first set of parts were too small. They guys could not figure it out. We verified we had the right model etc. So finally, they simply ordered another, different set and, then it was the right size. I replaced the struts and the steering arms (those curved cam like connectors to each tire) as well as the hydraulic lines that go to each piston and the pistons. So the system is very tight now. I have some materials, but interestingly, there is nothing directly explaining how the supply and return system works and hooks up. I really do not know hydraulics like I know engines and propulsion systems. It seems intuitive that if you mismatch the line then one side would be pushing, so to speak, while the other is pulling. The oscilating steering wheel seems to confirm that. I was hoping someone who really understands the basics of hyrdraulics and power steering on tractors could point me a good primer on this subject. I realize in retrospect, I should have make a diagram, much like you would for electrical work. Except the ports on the new hydraulic rams are not labeled.