MF 35 Gas Tank

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
Today I noticed my MF 35 gas tank is leaking in a couple of places. It is on the bottom of the tank. I can't find a hole, but when I wipe the wet gas off, you can see the area slowly get wet with gas again. It's almost like the gas is seeping through the metal tank. A drop forms about every 10 minutes. I'm not loosing a log of gas, but I don't like running the tractor with gasoline dropping close to the engine.

A few years ago I pulled the tank and had it cleaned out and lined. I thought the lining would be good for a while, but apparently not.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Should I try to get it lined again, or just spring for another gas tank?

Thanks, Bob

Alcuy

I'm surprised no one has made a suggestion up to now. I have a TO 30 that had the same issue. I had that lined as you have and mine started leaking. I found they did not quite get the whole bottom of the tank covered in the deal. I went back and dug up my records and found it was 5 years prior. I went back and they relined the tank for the price of the material. That was two years ago so I have put off buying another tank for a while yet.

I guess it depends on what you prefer. And if the new tank is not so expensive maybe that would be better for the long haul.

Alcohol fuel is off my list. It is not good for my pocket no matter how good it is supposed to be for the environment. Tanks die quick with that stuff in there.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
Last week I took the tank back to the shop that lined it 5 years ago. He said his lining was guaranteed for life, so he agreed to re-line the tank. While we were looking at the tank, we discovered a crack. He said he could solder the crack, re-line it, and paint the exterior of the tank with some type paint that is gas resistant, all for $100. Since a new tank is around $300, plus shipping, I decided to go with the repair.

I should pick up the new tank Monday. Hopefully it will be as good as new.

Bob

bigred35

engine oil ??

we also have a MF 35, believe it is a 1960....what kind of oil do you use in it, engine oil that is......i just change mine and can't find where I wrote down what kind I used before....thanks

Alcuy

Last week I took the tank back to the shop that lined it 5 years ago. He said his lining was guaranteed for life, so he agreed to re-line the tank. While we were looking at the tank, we discovered a crack. He said he could solder the crack, re-line it, and paint the exterior of the tank with some type paint that is gas resistant, all for $100. Since a new tank is around $300, plus shipping, I decided to go with the repair.

I should pick up the new tank Monday. Hopefully it will be as good as new.

Bob

That sounds like a pretty good deal. I bet he covered the cost of the lining with the charge for the repair. But that is being cynical... But for the price, the tank should last as long as you'll ever need it now, and you saved some money;that is what counts.

Al

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
I have had the repaired tank on the tractor for a little over a month now, and have not found any leaks.

Yesterday while filling up the tank, I spilled a little gas on the tank. I wiped it off with a paper towel and noticed some of the paint came off onto the paper towel. Guess the "gas resistant paint" he used was not all he claimed it would be.

Bob

HCN

I can see you are all talking about tanks and tank sealer, can enyone tell me where I can find a new gas tank for my 1958 MF 35 Type SGM it is the model with the 2 push buttons to open the lid to get to the tank, not the twist ones. My tank is in pretty bad shape.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
HCN, welcome to the forum.

I can't specifically tell you where to pick up a new tank, but I would try a couple of things. One search for the tank using Google.
Second: take the tank off and take it to a welding or radiator shop. If they can't reline it they will probably know of a place that sells replacements. You'll probably get a better deal if you find one with Google.

Here are some results I found on Google:
http://www.tractorpart.com/ferguson_parts_bumper.html
https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/
Bob

HCN

Thank you "rlk' even though I did not find the tank there, it helped me in the right direction. Most the MF 35 in North America were built with the Z134 Continental engine and apparently the tank for that model does not fit mine with the Standard 23C engine. Lots to learn about this little tractor that I drove for years on my Dad's farm. It is an amazng tractor with 4000 some hrs. and next to no problems over the 54 years my Dad has had it!

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
HCN, you'll find this forum to be very valuable in discussing how to maintain & restore older tractors. My MF35 has over 4500 hours and is still going strong. Lots of my questions get answered here by other people who have had similar problems.

Hang around - I think you'll enjoy it.

Bob