RUST PREVENTION on RTV900

Just looking at the RTV 900's on the dealer's lots I saw little touches of rust here and there (same with my tractor when I bought it) aside from keeping the unit out of the weather, does anyone have any suggestions to prevent or address it? I like the rust converter by Rustoleum and then applying paint but this is after it appears. Would love to do what I can to prevent it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Biggest things for me are:
Don't let mud sit on it. It holds the water in and promotes rust.
Fluid Film!!! Get some spray cans and spray it on once or twice a year.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I've never used Fluid Flim but it sounds great. What consistency does it have/keep after spraying ? bordercollie

Heatwave

While you're spraying Liquid Film, spray it on your battery terminals. Best protection you can get.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I buy it in spray cans by the case and keep a gallon or 2 for brush on applications.

Since I started using it a few years back, I no longer use WD40 or PB Blaster as it blows both of them away. I use Kroil when I need a penetrating oil.

As for the consistency, when it comes out of the aerosol can, it doesn't seem any different then PB blaster or similar. Main difference is it doesn't really dry (so don't spray it on your seat or steering wheel). In the gallon bucket size, it's a bit thicker then paint.

I use it everywhere. Spray on small areas, paint it on from the gallon for large areas.
Garage door wheels, hinges and chain.
Under mower deck.
Anything steel sitting outside.
Door hinges
Electrical connections.

Car manufacturers are starting to use it as OEM undercoating instead of the old tar stuff.

There's tons of uses as shown on their site.

I believe I do get it from Kellsportproducts (the link in Doc's post).

DIXIEDOG

The other thing about it's consistency is if you drive down many dirt roads/trails it will create a nice layer of "gunk" it's great stuff. When I bought my last new Super Duty I sprayed it with Fluid Film right away...not a speck of rust under it yet....I drove on a lot of heavily salted/calcium chlorided roads last year and never washed the truck until spring. 5+ months of salt/CC sitting on the frame, differentials, springs, underside of body,.....no rust at all.:clap:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So the salt from the roads doesn't dissolve into it and make things worse. If that s the case, I will have to get some because I dread carrying minerals in the RTV - no matter how hard I try to prevent it, some always spills. I went to the web site Doc linked to , (thanks Zoom for those descriptions ) and I hope to get some soon.I could think of a lot of uses on the farm for this stuff. Thanks for the info everyone. bordercollie

I too had never heard of this stuff much less that I could get some less than 2 miles from my house. I've tried things like Zero Rust and all kinds of dry film lubricants but they all had their shortcomings. If this stuff does half of what you all and the manufacturer says it will I'll be pleased. :thankyou2:

My RTV arrives tomorrow at 1pm EST so this is just another item that I'll be applying over the weekend ... that is after I toss in the half gallon of slime in each tire! LOL!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks

So the salt from the roads doesn't dissolve into it and make things worse. If that s the case, I will have to get some because I dread carrying minerals in the RTV - no matter how hard I try to prevent it, some always spills. I went to the web site Doc linked to , (thanks Zoom for those descriptions ) and I hope to get some soon.I could think of a lot of uses on the farm for this stuff. Thanks for the info everyone. bordercollie

I see it appears more economical to buy by the gallon with the spray applicator included. I want to put it all under the RTV where the minerals might drift to and where manure gets during the wet season on the farm. I am thinking about putting it on the feed wagon where the minerals blow as the feed is mixed too. That is a dusty mess even after it is just washed. Then there are the tractors...Thanks for any thoughts. bordercollie

Bordercollie, I'm going to try this on my RTV as well but I'd love to know after winter is over what you think of the product since between minerals and manure it sounds like you are using it for pretty corrosive applications.

DIXIEDOG

So the salt from the roads doesn't dissolve into it and make things worse.

Doesn't cause any problems at all, I'll try to take a few pictures of my truck's frame this weekend and load them up so you can see what it's like over the long haul....it's been on there over a year without being touched.

I wish I had put Fluid Film on my RTV when I first bought it....I spent over an hour fixing the rust problem on my 500's bed today. It sucks, I really think the rust is bad enough that I won't purchase another Kubota RTV....my next buggy will most likely have a plastic bed

Doesn't cause any problems at all, I'll try to take a few pictures of my truck's frame this weekend and load them up so you can see what it's like over the long haul....it's been on there over a year without being touched.

I wish I had put Fluid Film on my RTV when I first bought it....I spent over an hour fixing the rust problem on my 500's bed today. It sucks, I really think the rust is bad enough that I won't purchase another Kubota RTV....my next buggy will most likely have a plastic bed

Damn Rust NEVER Sleeps! The plastic ones have their issues as well. I know a repair guy at a local JD dealer and he's had some of the new HPX's crack and even heard of a few that shattered when used in cold and took a hard hit from a piece of firewood etc... I just wish no matter whether it's a lawn mower, RTV, Tractor, Car, or pickup that it was rust free when you buy it or even look at it on the lot. My truck, tractor, and RTV all have spots where surface rust or something more sinister seems to be getting a start fresh from the dealer. For what these things cost you would expect it to have no rust and be treated to protect it from rust and paints from oxidizing/fading. How hard is it to put some UV protection in the paint? (That is definitely a KUBOTA problem too!)

DIXIEDOG

Here's a few pics of my truck's frame to show how Fluid Film looks after a winter of salt and calcium chloride from the roads...I go to Northern Maine alot and there's no shortage of road chemicals to keep the icing down...no rust yet

DSCF0529.jpg

DSCF0530.jpg

DSCF0531.jpg

My truck is a Ford Superduty and they seem to rust badly so FF gets an A+ from me so far. I liked it so much I bought 4 more gallons in case it ends up being hard to get ahold of later on.:thumb:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Here's a few pics of my truck's frame to show how Fluid Film looks after a winter of salt and calcium chloride from the roads...I go to Northern Maine alot and there's no shortage of road chemicals to keep the icing down...no rust yet

My truck is a Ford Superduty and they seem to rust badly so FF gets an A+ from me so far. I liked it so much I bought 4 more gallons in case it ends up being hard to get ahold of later on.:thumb:

Many thanks Dixiedog! That is good to know. I plan to order some with my next paycheck. Now I am thinking the skid steer needs it because the minerals get on the quick disconnect and on the bucket attachment all the time. Then there's the tiller.... I also appreciate the pictures. bordercollie

DIXIEDOG

Many thanks Dixiedog! That is good to know. I plan to order some with my next paycheck. Now I am thinking the skid steer needs it because the minerals get on the quick disconnect and on the bucket attachment all the time. Then there's the tiller.... I also appreciate the pictures. bordercollie

No problem, Fluid Film is available at most if not all John Deere dealers if that makes it easier than ordering. I purchased it in gallon containers for slightly over $30 and I spray it out with a cheap undercoating gun. If you don't have an undercoating gun or compressor they sell it in smaller size aerosol cans also for less than $9.

The RTV has arrived

Well the RTV arrived yesterday at 1pm and to my amazement the wife loves it ... she still hates my tractor though. I just finished adding 64oz of slime to all 4 tires and used 3 cans of aerosol Fluid Film to give it some rust protection.(I still have a can in reserve in case I see something I missed or needs a little more) Kinda smells like A&D Ointment but if it prevents rust that will become my favorite fragrance!) Now I'm off to do a little :17875:

DIXIEDOG

I think I'll spray mine down pretty soon here myself, I sandblasted the rust off my bed and sprayed bed liner material into the bed...hopefully it will hold up a bit longer than the Kubota finish did.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump.

We've been talking about Fluid Film in other threads so I thought bringing this one forward may help.

I went through 3 spray bottles and about a quart out of the gallon jug in the past couple weeks. I hit all my equipment. ;)