TO20 lower link shaft

dsnider

Hi gentlemen,
I have a 40's series Ferguson TO20 tractor. The lower link shaft broke flush with the rear end housing. What is the process for replacing piece?

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Hi dsnider, welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I can't help much with your question, but hopefully soon someone else will come along that can.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
Hi gentlemen,
I have a 40's series Ferguson TO20 tractor. The lower link shaft broke flush with the rear end housing. What is the process for replacing piece?

dsnider, can you post a photograph of what broke? I have a TO30 and can't picture exactly what broke on yours.

Bob

dsnider

Thanks Rik,
I will to send pic's, but have never done so, so bear with me please.

[URL="http://http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/register.php?a=act&u=2036&i=d045945d441c891fbad0f593d147c4993244cce9"[/URL]

Write me back if you can't open this picture. The top view is the broken piece, and the bottom is the replacement piece.
Thanks Rik

dsnider

Try this Rik.

Attachments

• ATT00022.jpg
    ATT00022.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 40

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk dsnider. Good job getting the pic posted. I'm not the one who can help you with this but wanted to say hi, and welcome you here.
Enjoy and post often. :thumb: :D

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Howdy & Welcome DS . I,m not Familiar with that model Either , But by looking at the replacement Piece I would say You,ll have to drill a small hole in the center where its broke off flush & use an easy out to get the rest of the broken piece & threads out .

But If its Where I think its Located it could leak fluid or gearoil out when You get the Broken piece out , So I,d have a drain pan handy . Once again its just a guess not knowing the tractor . Best of luck . Bob

After looking at it again , It Might be more helpfull if You can take a pic of Where it broke off of the Tractor . Are both sides Exposed where You can see them Or is it posable You have to get into the rear gear box to Remove the other piece & replace it . Sorry I,m not much help .

dsnider

But If its Where I think its Located it could leak fluid or gearoil out when You get the Broken piece out , So I,d have a drain pan handy . Once again its just a guess not knowing the tractor . Best of luck . Bob

You are so right Cowboy. From the info I can glean, the axle has to be pulled, and the side of the gear box opened to gain access to the old mounting apparatus. Needless to say, the new piece (see pic) has a lock washer and a nylon sleeved lock nut.

After looking at it again , It Might be more helpfull if You can take a pic of Where it broke off of the Tractor . Are both sides Exposed where You can see them Or is it posable You have to get into the rear gear box to Remove the other piece & replace it . Sorry I,m not much help .

Try to envision a rear end housing with a piece of cast material broken off flush with the outer edge of the rear end. That is what I have. The top pic I sent shows the old piece where it snapped off the rear end housing. The round ball shaped piece is the ball from the old lift arm, which also broke.

Last edited:

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
dsnider, I'm still having trouble picturing what broke. Like Cowboy stated, it will be helpful if you can take a picture of where it broke off of the tractor.

Sorry to not be able to help.

Bob

dsnider

dsnider, I'm still having trouble picturing what broke. Like Cowboy stated, it will be helpful if you can take a picture of where it broke off of the tractor.

Sorry to not be able to help.

Bob

Sorry Bob,
I'll take a picture of the rear end where the piece broke and forward it to the forum.
Thanks for yours and everyones' efforts.

Dave Snider

BTW: I noticed that you're also a North Carolina boy. I am in Advance, about 12 miles West of W-S.

Gray Beard

That broken part is all on the outside of the diff housing, if I remember right.
It is tapered to hold in the bore of casting.
Back off the nut ONLY two 2 turns and use a wedge or jack for pressure against it.
Like taking off a tie-rod end.
Use a little heat or good bump with a 5 lb. hammer at the thin spot of the casting.