Hired Hands

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Dont know about you but finding someone that is dependable and willing to sweat/work is near impossible to find. Yes, they are often dumber than the rocks that I hit with my old Horse tiller but they show up...……..The latest go round with this one that I have had for 2 years now is that she cant read nor do math.

Friday I was out sweating the pasture below my wife's goat barn....yes a real barn....anyway, we are losing trees left and right due to the drought and who knows what else. Talking about old growth hickory and oak. Several were gonna fall on a fence line and another on the barn so had the tree guy come and help me who of course.....dropped a hickory on the fence line. Anyway, went down Friday to cut up an oak for splitting and to get it out of across the middle of the pasture......24" and 100' of good usable …...cut a bit then had to move a rotten branch with the tractor so shut down the saw. WOULDNT START.....PROBABLY 50 PULLS......I remember the saw doing this a while back and then it worked just fine again.....It's a 550 Husky and is usually a fantastic cutter and runner...So, about 2 AM, you know how it is, it dawned on me that the last time this happened the hired hand had mixed the gas and I had to dump that gallon and start over with all working fine...….The other day when I filled my tank in the saw it was a new gallon in the can...…………...F......ckn hired hand!!! Once again 8th grade drop out math and reading skills strike again....She cant read the can chart as to how much to mix and then cant figure the ratio as to how much...……..

S0.....just ordered on of course Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Opti-2-Gallo...ie=UTF8&qid=1532350649&sr=8-8&keywords=opti+2

Have used this stuff for years but then the outfit I got it from in town went out of business so had to switch to bottles that you figure and mix..…….Yes, I know you can get the little bottles of pre mix but I like brands that I like...……...ANYWAY, the stuff works good and always started and ran just fine.....Witness a Stihl saw '87 vintage that is still running fine with 1000's of hours on it that is just great using the stuff for years...…..

So, now I can be happy with the hired hand, NOT be cussing HER as the machinery wont start, and get some work done,,,,,,,,which I am gonna go do....See you then...,God bless...….Dennis

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
OH yes,...….The way to make this an RTV associated.....Do you think it would be OK to dump the lousy mix gallon in the RTV tank? Common sense tells me no but hate to waste that fuel... It is 94 octane no lead that I drive 20 miles to get just for the 2 cycle mix.....Thoughts???

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
OH yes,...….The way to make this an RTV associated.....Do you think it would be OK to dump the lousy mix gallon in the RTV tank? Common sense tells me no but hate to waste that fuel... It is 94 octane no lead that I drive 20 miles to get just for the 2 cycle mix.....Thoughts???

is your RTV gasoline????? don't put Gas in your diesel tank!!! in this heat bad things will happen.:wow:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Dont know what it is up to now but when I got 5 gallons 3 weeks ago it was $3.70...Now that she wasted a gallon it is probably close to $5.00. I dumped what was in the saw and put in from a can of Husky pre-mix at $1.79 per quart. The saw started every time with one pull 5 or 6 times......I cut 5 or 6 rounds, take a break and go again.....NO NO STARTS.....

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
something i learned a long time ago is to remove the muffler on my two stroke engines and then remove the spark arestor screen from between the muffler and the engine or sometimes it is internal to the muffler. then reinstall the muffler. when you run a rich mixture or to much oil the carbon clogs the screen and the engine can't breath.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
YOU are RIGHT THERE BUD...……...Problem is, is that this saw we are talking about has no more than 20 or 30 hours on it …..Not even broke in and I hate it that this is happening to it if running lean with her mixture...….

YES, even our RTVs need this treatment for sure...…...really worth mentioning. Thanks.....God bless.....Dennis

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
kinda funny how this conversation is happening now after i spent several hours yesterday messing with a string trimmer that wouldn't run correctly. it would run on either momentarily but i just couldn't get it to start and run on it's own. every time i would think about adjusting the carb i would see those STUPID little needle valves with no screw slot in them, so out comes the dremmel tool and "WALAH" they now have slots. adjusted the high and low and now it runs and starts better than new. funny how it probably only has about 15 hours on it. maybe your saw is same same???

hondajoe

Gas

Dennis I meant if you put the gas in the KUBOTA.I did install a fuel pump as you did no problem with the way it ran.But I didn't like the way it started had to crank it and it ran rough after it started.Now crack the key and its running not rough and it does run better overall.Cheap fix.JOE

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
No matter what it is you will find something wrong???…...What does it matter to YOU?? "This hired hand" is an honorable, honest, hard working, and just as I described. I dont make any remarks about her that are left open for criticism by folks who find nothing good about anything that is better than what they have...……...Why dont YOU describe YOUR Hired hand....."THAT ONE"...……….God bless...…….Dennis

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Joe.....my being here is to help and ask the help of others. Folks like you are appreciated and actually the norm...…….Sometimes though, folks try to ruin anything that is good, honest, open, real, and God blessed with HIS GRACE...….You Bud, are one of the REAL ONES......Dennis

ovrszd

Dennis, calm down. I simply asked to clarify the professionalism of the employee based on money paid. That's how Capitalism works. No negativism pointed at anybody. You started the conversation.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
The other day when I filled my tank in the saw it was a new gallon in the can...…………...F......ckn hired hand!!! Once again 8th grade drop out math and reading skills strike again....She cant read the can chart as to how much to mix and then cant figure the ratio as to how much...

Does she do your posting too? I had to read it three times and I am not completely sure what’s going on. :confused2:

Last edited by a moderator:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This is a very simple situation......I have a person that works for me and is paid on the high side of the pay scale for: folks who have pretty poor intelligence, drop outs, felons, illegal paper work, or are just having a hard time in life.

They must be honest, hard working, and show up to be there when they are supposed to be. They must be dependable enough to take care of livestock. We travel in our Airstream RV trailer for weeks at a time so they need to be able to understand that the place is theirs and to take care of it as such...……….

This one, after let's say 22 years of hiring these folks has been with us for 3 years. She as stated above is a 9th grade or so drop out, has a hard time reading and her ability to comprehend fractions is minimal...…………

NOW, THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION:

My hired hand had mixed a new gallon of 2 cycle fuel. It's easy to read the hows and why's of my saw running poorly and when I USED A CAN OF HUSKY PRE-MIX it began to start and run properly. SO......THE QUESTION IS......What to do with the gallon of HIGH DOLLAR 2 CYCLE MIX THAT SHE MIXED UP???? Yes, thanks to a couple of you, putting it in the RTV would not be the thing to do...…...So, what to do with the stuff, use it to burn brush, burn of grass, or what was my question????

In walks Oversized...…...and I hope he has had his question answered...……..God bless this place...…….Dennis

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yea just use it as a concentrate and dilute it until the mixture is right. record the findings and use the results until gas is gone or to old to continue to use. a rule of thumb for me has been to mix oil until the engine smokes a little and you will be fine. when i first started using 2 cycle engines there wasn't any special oil so we used 30wt engine oil and got by just fine. we did have to change plugs more often though but never hurt an engine. that is how the mfg at the time said to do it so we did.