Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Owners & Operators Forums > Mechanical issues and Paint & Restorations Forum

Mechanical issues and Paint & Restorations Forum Show us how you make em pretty.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 PM

2old2shovel is on a distinguished road
Default Repowered walk behind

I dragged a 48”Giant Vac walk behind mower home from the junkyard a couple of months ago because except for the partially disassembled engine, it was in remarkable shape. The engine was an 11 HP B&S single. I got it running and everything was fine until a couple of days ago when the rod went through the case. I had an 18 HP B&S Twin sitting around doing nothing so I mounted it on the walk behind.
It runs great and the mower cuts just fine. The only problem I had was the exhaust. I had none. I had the original exhaust flanges and a few bits of exhaust pipe so I bought two $5 mufflers and made a dual exhaust system for it.
It sounds and cuts great, except for the popping from one cylinder, but before too long I am going to change it so that it all goes into one good muffler.
For now I am using the manual PTO lever that came with the walk behind. I cannot see any reason why the electric PTO that came with the engine won’t work. The electric PTO is about a 5” pulley and the pulley that is on there now is about a 6” pulley.

Anyone see a problem with the pulley size change? I'm assuming a belt change is going to be in order.
Will running the machine on that exhaust cause any damage?
Is there anything else I should be looking at to make this thing last a while?
This is my first walk behind and I am amazed at how maneuverable it is. I cut about 4 ˝ acres and I don't even mind the walk...for the time being.