Clatter clatter rattle rattle

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Friends, I guess I'm due for a drive shaft replacement. I have a good bit of slack at the joints {mine and the RTV's}and a good bit of rattle too. 1414 hrs. I had the improved version installed at 600 hrs under warranty. If I hold the shaft still and wiggle the joint, It will pinch my finger if I put it onthe "cup".I will price one tomorrow. It looks like a job I can do. Maybe a matter of removing the pin and going from there. I would guess that the cast iron in the yolk has worn down as well .Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Bordercollie

BovsRTV

HI,</P>

I would think they are sold as a U-joint assembly. If this is the case however they attach to the shaft and to the front end should almost be like on a car. I really haven't looked at mine, plan to when the sun comes up! Good luck! Keep us posted how you make out as well as the cost ofthe partfor us in the future! </P>

Brad</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bordercollie

As Brad mentioned, I believe you probably just need to replace the joints. I don't believe it's a complicated process. Now.... If I could just find the directions. Let me see what I can find.

Brian

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, found the info.

To replace the front U-joint assembly, you need Kit K7561-91700

Information & instructions can be found in PSB-2005-047. It's listed as being a 1/2 hour job.

I have a copy of the PSB but don't seem to have your e-mail address. PM me with your e-mail address if you want a copy.

You may want to check with your dealer. This change was being offered
as a warrantee and since you have the old style, they may still cover
it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input. I look forward to not clattering.Haha. Thanks again, Bordercollie.[&]

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the infomation. I checked here at lunch and my dealer is getting me one for ballpark $65. I look forward to working on it with the good information ya'll have provided.[:D]Thanks, Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Folks, It's been so busy here on the farm that I haven't been on the computer much. I need to replace my front drive shaft assembly instead of the rear.It is the front that rattles so.I have the correct parts {$130}and was wondering if someone could share info on installation. It appears that I pretty much can use the same info as the rear.I have the shaft where it will almost come off .I evidently just need to take the skid pan off to access the main shaft and bearing seal without tearing it up so that I can have a little more slack. Is this right ? Thanks again! Bordercollie[&].

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Twoguns , I'm from central Miss aboout 25 miles from Jackson. I hope to get this shaft on next week as I will be leaving for Ark until Sunday. 1500 hrs and counting. Thanks, Bordercollie[&]</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bordercollie,

I just e-mailed you a copy of the PSB that provides direction for replacement.

Brian

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Must going to bring the RTV to Ark. to test fire it in that state? Just kidding. We are not to far from you, I'm close to Natchez, Ms., approx.~25 miles into Louisiana .</P>

It so good to have a site such as this, where RTV owners help others in thier time of need . Wish the rest of the world worked this way .........</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Brian !! You are a lifesaver!! I will let you know how things go next week.. Bordercollie[:D]

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
[&]That was the quickest job!! Everything went smoothly except for the dirt in my eyes and ears Haha. . I just needed to clean the shaft splines and add alittlegrease and every thing just slipped into place. All seems perfect... I will get out on the road when the much needed rain lets up and make sure. Thanks again Brian . I agree with my Louisiana neighborTwo guns about what a great site this is. Thanks to members like our sponsorMessick and you.[&]Bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear all is well again.

BTW, if you took it to a dealer, the mechanics would wash the area before doing the work. You too are allowed to take that step. [:p]

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The truth be told.. I just didn't quirt it off very well. I believe the dirt came out of the pan. oh well, Next time I will wear safety glasses. Bordercollie.[*-)][&]

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I changed the shaft and noticed that there was some slack in the bearing between the two shafts. My parts guy said some is normal but I still have some rattle coming from this area and was wondering what ya'll thought .When I move the shaft, I do have some movement..rubber seals are still good around it. My guy didn't have the bearing or I would have replaced it anyway.Do you have one Messick Equipment?Thanks , Bordercollie[&]

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="bordercollie"]I still have some rattle coming from this area and was wondering what ya'll thought[/quote]
Turn up the stereo or use headphones [;)]

You're sure it's in the bearing, and not where the splines attach to the rear U-joing, correct?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi BCZOOM, Yes the motion is coming from where the front u joint connects to the rearAT the bearing. My rear ujoint was replaced under warranty at about 600 hrs. It is the new design with the washer and doesn't rattle. I replaced the front u joint with your instructions because it definitely had wear{wiggle} as I could pinch my finger when placed at the joint's edge. I didn't want it to come apart when I was going full speed down the road. If a little motion is normal here at the bearing I just won't worry about it. I just wondered what you thought. I have a pair of AMFM headphones I use on the Cat 240B when I load the feed wagon and would enjoy using them more. By the way , I ran out of diesel on an incline, recranked and was able to get to the fuel tank which was only 200 ft away. I had just returned from the back 40 and was very lucky to be soooo close to the tank. I filled up from across the fence because I knew I couldn't make it around. I will check my gauge more often and not wait until the last minute anymore.!Thanks, Bordercollie[&]

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="bordercollie"]If a little motion is normal here at the bearing I just won't worry about it. I just wondered what you thought.[/quote]
When I get a chance (hopefully later today), I'll go check to see if I have play in mine at the bearing and let you know. I don't have any noticable noise in that area.