RTV900 Does not move in M or H when trying to go up a slope

klystron

Hi guys. I am a new member and I recently purchased a 2004 RVT900 with 1400 hrs on it. I test drove it while on a level lot and everything seemed to work okay. But when I got it home, my property has several sloping grades . By grades I don't mean hills but gentle sloping pasture land. When I try to go up a slope, L works fine but when in M or H, it will not budge. I can go in reverse up the slope. All this has been tried with just me in the seat, no heavy loads in the bed. Any ideas where I should start looking?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i would suggest that you follow the adjustment procedure to correct any maladjustment in the foot peddle throttle and HST speed lever before you do anything else. next i would change the drive oil to Kubota brand Super UTB and replace the filters with genuine Kubota filters. i would also suggest you get a filter cutter and examine the filters for yellow metal of magnetic particles.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting a RTV.

Agreed with previous poster about making sure it has OEM filters and Kubota's UDT or Super UDT fluids. The RTV doesn't like aftermarket in this area.

The old RTV's take a bit of getting used to in terms of driving. The first thing that comes to mind with your issue is how far down you're pushing the go-pedal (gas pedal). Are you mashing the pedal all the way down? When going up hills/slopes, you want to back off the pedal to somewhere around 1/2 way. This will activate an aux pump that will give you more power but will decrease your speed.

Try this: Approach the slope in M range. You'll feel the RTV starting to bog down when going up the hill. When that happens, start backing off the pedal. You'll notice when the aux pump kicks in as the engine will start gaining power but you won't be going as fast.

Lee1935

Hi guys. I am a new member and I recently purchased a 2004 RVT900 with 1400 hrs on it. I test drove it while on a level lot and everything seemed to work okay. But when I got it home, my property has several sloping grades . By grades I don't mean hills but gentle sloping pasture land. When I try to go up a slope, L works fine but when in M or H, it will not budge. I can go in reverse up the slope. All this has been tried with just me in the seat, no heavy loads in the bed. Any ideas where I should start looking?

If you live near a dealer ask around if they have a good wrench turner. Kubota has changed the pressure settings for the transmission more than once.

With a little luck you might find the previous owner didn't like to pay the price for Kubota oil and filters or he might have been one that liked playing with all the adjustments you find with the bed raised

when you get your problems fixed, many owners will opt for the hand throttle kit, it does make life a little easier on steeper hills ☺

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It looks like it was serviced recently and all the filters are Kubota brand.
Can you check with the previous owner to find out which dealer he used? Then they could give you the low down on when the last service was done etc.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
might put machine in neutral on flat concrete and see if you can push it easy. wouldn't be the first time someone had sticky brakes

klystron

Aurthuritis, your comment about the brakes got me to thinking. This is the first time I have owned one of these, I noticed that when I moving and I let off the accelerator it will almost throw me through the windshield. Is this normal?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Aurthuritis, your comment about the brakes got me to thinking. This is the first time I have owned one of these, I noticed that when I moving and I let off the accelerator it will almost throw me through the windshield. Is this normal?
Yes, that is normal. It takes a bit to get used to the sudden stop and to learn to let off the accelerator slowly.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes that is normal. the only way to test the brakes is in neutral. it should roll easy when not in gear.

Kanook

I concur with the previous suggestions.....mashing the pedal to the floor does not give the desired results, particularly in M and especially H range. My 2004 model has a hand throttle that I installed and I usually leave it set at about 1800rpm. (just a guess as I do not have a tach). I can't understand why Kubota designed the RTV this way. All (as far as I know) hydro tractors use a separate throttle and hydro pedal... ???????

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Everything folks have suggested above is EXCELLENT.........follow their advice about the foot throttle back off...........CHANGE to SuperUDT2 NOW.....Yes, I know it is high dollar but, my neighbor, and others, couldn't get up my hill in his unit, saw that I could, made the change, and easily does it. Who knows?????
Take the screen out of your muffler. Yes, it's called the SPARK ARRESTOR. it gets plugged up and blocks flow of exhaust gases from your engine and thus no power when you need it......Do you need instructions on how to remove it???........I tossed mine years ago on my 05..........DO THIS PLEASE............God bless.......Dennis

aurthuritis

Site Supporter

if you get this sorted out and want to soften the abrupt stop you can install a coast valve. takes about 15 min.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
these machines are finiky about the transmission oil. there are other brands of oil that meet the spec on super UDT and my dealer uses New Holland premium oil. even though the New Holland oil isn't cheaper they just have it in bulk. the new holland oil will not allow the Kubota to perform as well as the Super UDT. always use either UDT or Super UDT in your Rtv. also there has been some filter failures with non oem filters so use only oem. if you aren't sure what oil is in there it would be my suggestion to change to known oil and proceed from there.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
the new holland oil will not allow the Kubota to perform as well as the Super UDT. always use either UDT or Super UDT in your Rtv. also there has been some filter failures with non oem filters so use only oem. if you aren't sure what oil is in there it would be my suggestion to change to known oil and proceed from there.

SUPERUDT2 is the perhaps correct way to say that my very learned and knowledgeable FRIEND..........Are UDT and SuperUDT even still available???.........Again, not to diminish what you have to say and ad to this outfit........

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
SUPERUDT2 is the perhaps correct way to say that my very learned and knowledgeable FRIEND..........Are UDT and SuperUDT even still available???.........Again, not to diminish what you have to say and ad to this outfit........

Thank You. my personal Choice would be Super UDT II. as for the old UDT it would be second choice but acceptable. yes the UDT is still available as old inventory or on personal shelves.

https://www.colemanequip.com/parts/...MI2I6NpYrs2gIVELXACh2y5w5sEAQYASABEgJbD_D_BwE