Kioti LB1914 intermittent steering problem

Chaps

I am a new member and this is my first post although I have visited the site often, so please overlook my rookie mistakes. I have a 2004 LB1914 with power steering; shuttle shift; front loader; R4 tires; and 133 hrs. My problem is that sometimes when turning the tractor to the Right, when I turn the steering wheel to go Left, the tractor keeps going Right. Even if I turn the wheel 6 to 8 times, the tractor still goes Right.To stop the right turn, I quickly crack the wheel a fraction of a turn to the Right and then snap it to the Left and the tractor turns Left. On some days this problem does not happen so I am puzzled where to look for the cause. I suspected air in the steering hydraulics and wanted to bleed the steering system, but the dealer didn't think that was the cause--He thought there might be some trash in the power steering box. so I am looking for ideas as to where to look and any you all may have will be
appreciated. Otherwise it is a great little tractor and will do a lot of work. I made a toothbar for it, have a boxscrape, tiller, and plow. Thanks.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I can't help with your problem. But welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone will come along soon who can.

Only 133 hrs on a 2004? WOW that thing is like brand new.

lmbrsn

I am a new member and this is my first post although I have visited the site often, so please overlook my rookie mistakes. I have a 2004 LB1914 with power steering; shuttle shift; front loader; R4 tires; and 133 hrs. My problem is that sometimes when turning the tractor to the Right, when I turn the steering wheel to go Left, the tractor keeps going Right. Even if I turn the wheel 6 to 8 times, the tractor still goes Right.To stop the right turn, I quickly crack the wheel a fraction of a turn to the Right and then snap it to the Left and the tractor turns Left. On some days this problem does not happen so I am puzzled where to look for the cause. I suspected air in the steering hydraulics and wanted to bleed the steering system, but the dealer didn't think that was the cause--He thought there might be some trash in the power steering box. so I am looking for ideas as to where to look and any you all may have will be
appreciated. Otherwise it is a great little tractor and will do a lot of work. I made a toothbar for it, have a boxscrape, tiller, and plow. Thanks.

I have a 1995 lb1914 and it does the same thing. It doesn't happen all of the time, just sometimes. Don't know what the fix is either.
Jim

Chaps

Kioti LB 1914 intermittent steering problem

Thanks Imbrsn. The hydraulic schematic shows a relief valve in the circuit and it must be internal to the steering motor. I was wondering if that may be sticking. If I find out anything, I'll get back to you. It will take about 3-4 weeks because of other things I have to get out of the way first.

amadorj

I too have the same issue with my 1999 LB1914. I've just learned to live with it and try to anticipate so I don't run into anything. I believe it has to do with the hydraulics as it doesn't happen all the time.

Chaps

Kioti LB1914 Intermittent Steering Problem

Sorry to learn you are having the same problem. What I did that greatly improved my situation was to take the steering unit apart and clean everything in solvent and reassemble after coting the parts with hydraulic oil. Inside everything was like new but my local dealer thought the only cause would be a piece of trash, so I thought it was worth a try. If you do this, I recommend a large clean worktable covered with white paper or lint free cloth. The steering control unit (SCU) is a precision machined piece. When disassembling, have a helper as another set of eyes to keep track of parts and their original location in the unit. You will need help with the centering springs when assembling. You can download information on the steering unit which may not have the exact model number as yours but it is invaluable. Go to EATON Corp.--Char-Lynn--Power Steering Control Unit--5 Series. Good Luck

amadorj

Sorry to learn you are having the same problem. What I did that greatly improved my situation was to take the steering unit apart and clean everything in solvent and reassemble after coting the parts with hydraulic oil. Inside everything was like new but my local dealer thought the only cause would be a piece of trash, so I thought it was worth a try. If you do this, I recommend a large clean worktable covered with white paper or lint free cloth. The steering control unit (SCU) is a precision machined piece. When disassembling, have a helper as another set of eyes to keep track of parts and their original location in the unit. You will need help with the centering springs when assembling. You can download information on the steering unit which may not have the exact model number as yours but it is invaluable. Go to EATON Corp.--Char-Lynn--Power Steering Control Unit--5 Series. Good Luck

Thanks, appreciate the help - I'm not sure I'm that daring to break down the steering unit but if I do will follow your advice. Thanks! JJA

amadorj

Just FYI - I started the tractor the other day and went turned the wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right about three times. This seemed to remove all the air in the hydraulics and my steering improved by quite a bit. Worth a shot!
-J