Driveshaft / u-joint question - 2005 RTV 900

doggman

I don't have a repair manual so maybe one of you can look this up for me - or even look at your RTV 900 and let me know. </p>

The front differential driveshaft assembly has a u-joint that slips over the splined output shaft that comes out of the transmission. My u-joint assembly has a pinch bolt on one yoke and the otheryoke has a hole bored through it where you can slip a drive pin through it. </p>

My question is does the yoke with pinch bolt go on the transmission or on the driveshaft?It is not "Murphy proof" so it can be put on either way. BTW - the pinch bolt yoke might be aKubota attempt to fix the rattle issue. My dealer did the fix but they never told me what they actually did. And what ever they did, it didn't work. </p>

Thanks,</p>

Craig</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Doggman, I have been thru this so I hope I can help you. I also have an '05. Try http://www.cornejo.net This site has great pictures.. This guy explains how to fix the rattle. If you decide to go the original way, this is how my original shaft looks On my front drive shaft, there is an oval shaped bearing attached to the frame {under the seat) where the rear shaft meets the front shaft. My plain ujoint slips cleanly on the splined shaft coming from the front. The ujoint with the hole fits over the shaft at the oval bearing and is pinned thru the holes in the two as they match up.My unit had the rear drive shaft "fixed " while under warranty a long time ago. The front has been the source of much noise and has been replaced by me several times.This is the old way of replacement. I will be working a very long day tomorrow, but it you desire, I will fax or email you the picture out of my shop manual. tomorrow evening. I have 2730 hrs on my unit and replaced that oval bearing at 1800 hr I think. If you are close, you may consider changing it out as well since it must be taken loose to lower the shafts and to get them hooked up together after replacement of one of them. The bearing is about $33. You can privately send your fax number or email me if you decide to by using the contact info on here and I think that I would get it .I believe that is the most secure way to keep numbers away from the spamm bots or whatever they are called.(By the way, I prefer the Cornejo method. Good Luck!! Bordercollie</p>

doggman

Hi Bordercollie - Well,it's the http://www.cornejo.net website that got me asking the question. </p>

His photos of the transmission end of the driveshaft show a different yoke on one half of the u-joint assembly. I have a yoke with a single 8MM bolt that is offset on one side to pinch or clamp the yoke on to the splines of the drive shaft. (He shows his yoke as a pinned type that he tappedfor set screws.)The other yoke of the u-joint is like the one that he shows sliding on the transmission stubshaft next to his hose spacer modification. </p>

When I removed mine I swear it was reversed from the way he shows his. I put mine back together like his after I did the modifications that he suggested. However, it sure seemed backwards from the stock way.</p>

In any event it certainly quieted the the rattle down to nothing. </p>

My carrier bearing is fine. It looks like it is a standard bearing that is used in all sorts of applications and can be bought in all different qualities. I used to see a lot of them in electric motors and small water pumps. </p>

My fax number 314 962 1869.</p>

Thanks for the reply and your continued loyalty to the RTV site.</p>

Craig</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Doggman, Sorry about the wait but I just ate supper. 10pm. And I am worn out. The high humidity and temps got to me on this 15 hr workday. I will fax you the info in the morning How about that?. My shaft looks just like the one on cornejo 's site-- with the only area with holes in the shaft/ujoint being those at the carrier bearing.The last replacement shaft that I ordered in November, was the same way...with no holes in the front joint..only at the carrier bearing area.Mine originally came with a simple pin that fit thru the ujoint/shaft intersection and was held in location with a cotter pin. I had to stick my little finger up in the joint to make sure that I had indeed matched the holes up...Low and behold there at the end of my finger,I could feel the pin!! I had missed the alignment!!! I was glad I had checked. This is why I like cornejo's method.... it eliminates that. I will get the info gathered up tonite and will send it out tomorrow. Thanks.This is just one big family here and I am glad to be part of it. Bordercollie</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Bordercollie, </p>

Your a great person, God will bless you !!!!!</p>

Be careful,it's to dern hotout there, drink plenty of fluids and don't over-do it. This humidity is killingus also. Wehave been praying for rain !!!!</p>

The older I get, the worst it gets >>>>> I cannot take this heat like I used to >>>> just drains me out!!!</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you. Two Guns. I agree about the heat and humidity. !! I bring the pups in to the ac when it gets in the 90's and they sack out. Doggman, I faxed you the page out of the parts manual. If you need more or if it didn't come thru, let me know ok? Bordercollie</p>

doggman

Thanks bordercollie, I got the fax! </p>

It looks like my dealer had the u-joint turned around on the transmission end of the front driveshaft. I don't think it really matters too much but it may have aggravated the situation. I had re-installed it correctly. Anyhow, I did the Cornejo modification and it's silent now. </p>

10-4 on giving the pooches a break in the heat! I have a new rescued 8 year old Shetland Sheepdog and he's stretched out inside today. When the hummingbirds drain all the feeders in a day you know it's hot. </p>

Thanks, again. </p>

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
</p>

Hey guys..........am trying to get onto:</p>

http://www.cornejo.net</p>

It comes up with a vault door and then asks for a password.....whats the trick....thanks.......Dennis</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know what's up with this. I just came in for lunch and will check this out this evening. I will try to email you thru this site so check your email later this evening. ... edit...Let me know if you don't get it .. It may have been stopped or that is what it says at the bottom of the page after I "send". Bordercollie</p>

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Guys.............Yes, now I can get in. After looking at the driveshaft fix, it seems pretty straight forward and doable by even a non-Kubota tech tech.........Anyway, it's now on my chore list, yes, down at the bottom after the wood is in, the road put in shape, and the electric gate fabricated and installed. Hmmm....August........</p>

This has been bothering me for a long time so IT WILL GET DONE...........God bless......Dennis</p>