How far on pavement for 4 wheel drive?

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Back in the ol days of 4 wheeling and even now it seems that the old mind tells me that for vehicles, specifically, 4 wheel drive trucks that driving even a short distance on pavement will cause damage to the drive train. What I wonder is if when in 4 wheel on the RTV and one has to cross a paved road is it necessary to stop and take it out of 4 wheel drive and into 2? We are talking here about once every trip that I make a run down to the pasture. Perhaps I do this 2 or 3 times per day. Yes, I have been stopping and switching to 2 wheel. Yes, I need 4 wheel to navigate over a couple of log check dams on the "road". Any thoughts would be a help.........Dennis</p>

Driving in a straight line over pavement for a short distance will have minimal effect on wear and tear. The problem with 4X4 on pavement comes when making turns. Drivetrain lock up (binding) can occur due to the front wheels and back wheels turning at the same rpm through a different radius. Don't worry about short disance straightline pavement crossings.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i think the damage comes to the tires not the drive train. the reason some might say there will be damage to a trucks drive train is most 4x4's when engaged it drops them down a few ratio's on their gears and trying to drive down a road at 60 mph in a lower gear ration will end up doing some damage. but as for as running a rtv or utv down a paved road in 4x4 forget it you ain't gonna do no harm to it..</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="D&D Farm"]</p>

What I wonder is if when in 4 wheel on the RTV and one has to cross a paved road </p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

</p>

Just going across a paved road, with the wheels running straight, don't think it will hurt anything. But I do also believe if one has the front end engaged, and start turning the front end, left bank / right bank, andbegin twisting torque on the front on hard blacktop , yes, then I think it's NOT good for the front end to be engaged. But just straight ahead crossing, No, shouldn't hurt a thing. That's my opinion >>>></p>

</p>

........... two guns >>>></p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
ain't to good on the tar's it wears them out really fast. with a limited slip front end you should be fine just keep the rear end unlocked too . </p>