RTV 900: Where does your temp guage run?

DocGP

It is warming up and I have been watching my temp guage. It has never gotten hot or smelled hot, but my guage runs over toward the red. Actually it consistantly runs about the same distance from the red as the red mark is wide. (Did that make any sense?). Anyhow, most of the way over.</p>

Just wondering if this is normal or something to check out? Starts, runs fine. No problems what-so-ever that I know of.</p>

Doc</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Take a look at this link : ( scroll all the way down to look at the drawing ) </p>

http://compacttractorreview.com/cs/forums/p/3110/14534.aspx#14534</p>

Think on this subject, I can speak for myself and other members, most have run into this. The needle gets really close to thered, but as long as it does not go into the red,yourO.K. ~~~~</p>

ALWAYS, keep your radiator clean, pull the " mesh" screen out and not onlyclean it, but raise the bed of the RTV and wash out the radiator from that back side also, get all from the top to the bottom ....</p>

Also,keep alistening ear out on the fan, it should becycling in and out, turning on and off by the temp of the engine. When the needle gets really close to the "RED" ,THE FAN SHOULD BE A KICKING IN , and coolingdown some. When the fan kicks in, you can actually see the temp falling . That is what it suppose to do !!!!!</p>

Remember, these machines suck air from the side, not the front like your truck , so it is not getting any " JAM"air to help cool, all is having to be brought in from the side. So expecially whenit's hot and just sitting still, it will get a little warmer and you should be hearing the fan kick in and out !!!!</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Doc, Have you heard the fan come on? Mine cuts on and the temperature drops down. M RTV usually runs about 1/4 at warm idle and up to 3/4 under load when the fan cuts on and it drops to about 1/2 My unit is an '05 and has about 2740 hrs though. A dirty air cleaner and/or radiator will cause elevated temps , what model/ year is yours? A member recently upgraded his gauge to a nicer aftermarket and got a more accurate reading. Use the search feature at the top right of this site and read his post. search for it by temperature gauge or something similiar and it should turn up. Other members have great info too. Good luck. Bordercollie</p>

Onfoot

Nothing to add to what has been said except that my '08 RTV900 (just hitting 50 hours) exhibits all the same behaviours bordercollie describes. But typically runs on the hot side of the guage, just a bit short of the red, but never hits the red and the fan cuts in and out as needed. Some have replaced the OEM guage with an aftermarket guage that provides actual temperature numbers. But if you are not hitting the red zone, and your fan is cutting in and out, and your rads are clean, you should have nothing to worry about.</p>

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My 06 seldom gets off of the cold side of the spectrum. Yes, the fan kicks in and out; but it takes me having a load of wood and running full throttle for a mile or so to get it to "warm" up. When it does finally start to register something it goes up to perhaps 1/4 the range of the guage and then immediately drops back to zero............Dennis</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Wentlooking and eyeballin', and found it !!! For I knew I seena guage somewherethat caught my attention, and that I have plans tomakingthe purchase and installing this same guage.</p>

Isspro R6758 Enhanced Visibility 100-280F Water Temp Gauge</p>

12 VOLT</p>

The article stated it was purchased off of ebay, but think that ISSPROtemp guage kit could be purchased on the internet anywhere >>>></p>

<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: x-small;"></span></p>