New Kubota RTV1140 (fourseater)

lucas

Greetings everyone, </p>

New to this group and looking for input/recommendations on the Kubota RTV line, specifically the 1140 series similar to the 900 series but bigger and more power. Have you all been happy with the RTV's? I need something like it for utility ranch use and perhaps a little family- cruising around the backwoods and along misc. county roads. I'm a deisel man myself and prefer this feature over any of the gas brands out there too. What about links to attachment options such as snow plows, log splitters, spreaders, etc? Pricing? Looks like I'm getting the standard pkg for just over $13K plus tax.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Lucas,</p>

The RTV is a wonderful machine. PERIOD!!! </p>

We use them down here for all types of work. And yes, we have folks here that have them just for fun / play /quality family time ....Preacher here in town purchased the 1140 just to putt-putt his grandchildren around.</p>

Don't know how I made it without ours. And if something happened to the 900 we have under us now. I would purchase another instantly.Yes, I am spoiled rotten when it comes to the RTV. </p>

Kubota had work in mind whenthey produced the RTV's, they are workhorses.If speed is what you want, don't buy the Kubota RTV. But if you want a dependable, tuff, working , comfortable machine that is always there for you, grab you a Kubota RTV, any size or model, it will change your life and make you a very happy man ....</p>

If there is anything any of us on this forum can do to help, just drop an line, there is always somebody here willing to help you !!!!</p>

</p>

.............. two guns ( jamie )</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!</p>

As Two Guns noted, the RTV has been a wonderful machine and can't be stopped.</p>

There's lots of information on this forum about accessories. In the top right of every page, there's a search box. For preliminary thoughts and information on subjects (e.g. snow plow), just enter the phrase there and a list of topics will be presented. Feel free to post any thoughts or information on any subject.</p>

</p>

Welcome Lucas.....Can't beat a Kubota diesel ...Got a 900 myself with a BLIZZARD plow. There are several suppliers out there of plow attachments for the RTV...Do a GOOGLE search on Blizzard, KANLAN, CURTIS to name a few. The RTV is a brute when it comes to snow pushing. There is also snowblower attachments . One of the members (Onfoot) has one.</p>

lucas

Thanks for the quick reply everybody! I was surfing thru "compacttractorreview.com" and came across several pages of reviews on the RTV's and it seemed like there were a few too many complaints about the same issues such as CV joints, axles, climbing power, getting stuck, fuel tank/cap, etc. and the lack of Kubota's customer care/warranty backing, etc. Several said the drive train/suspension issues came along relatively soon for Kubota's reputation for durability/longevity and were surprised Kubota didn't think the like thru enough before releasing the design. Granted, most of the owners were reviewing year models 06, 07, or earlier, and I was wondering if kubota has yet addressed these issues w/ the 08 line or at least the 1140 version. </p>

Also, does anyone know how to adjust the governor to give more speed? Dealer says it can be done, but I didn't hear it from them. If the new ones don't come with a Turbo, can I get aftermarket? I realize kubota is focusing on the utility market rather than the sport (speed) market and I am more interested in the torque and power anyway vs. speed, but it would still be nice to squeeze another 5mph or so out of it if it's just a matter of an adjustment.</p>

Upon testdriving, I too noticed that the hydrostatic/dynamic braking system tends to jerk you to a slowdown rather than flowing/coasting to a final rest as soon as you let off the pedal. Any adjustments on this possible? Could transition flow a little better rather than "whiplashing?"</p>

So just how well or poorly DOES the RTV climb hills, taking into account that again it's not designed to be a sport hill climber?</p>

Thanks everybody! Getting very excited to make a purchase this month while Kubota has a good financing program offered.</p>

</p>

Lucas</p>

(BTW two guns, nice pic of the sniper---trying to remember which movie it might be from)</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i wouldn't try messing with the speed any just be happy with it and ride it like it is and it will last you for ever as soon as you atsrt to tinker with it to speed things up thats when you will start to break thing bota has it set to go that speed for a reasonwith the right tires you don't need speed speed is for the track racers not the bota . if this will help get one of them 12 volt fans and put it blowing in your face and put some ear phones on with a recorded sounds of a nascar race on while your riding and that should help out a bit.</p>

Onfoot

Welcome to the Forum, Lucas! You will find it has information on just about anything you might want to know vis-a-vis RTVs. For myself, I am a relatively newcomer to the RTV. I originally bought an Arctic Cat Prowler, thinking to keep my 'driveway' plowed (1.5 miles winding through the woods) and for chores on the property--gathering firewood, hunting, fishing, etc.</p>

Well, I learned that the Arctic Cat is a fine machine for tooling around in the woods--going just about anywhere and hitting speeds in excess of 55mph if you are crazy enough to drive it that fast. But it is a recreational machine, not a work machine. This is evident when you look at the frame members and etc., esp. when compared to the RTV. Also, the Prowler (like all the UTV's except the Kubota and Bobcat so far as I have been able to discover) is belt driven. Put it under consistent load, like pushing snow over a distance, and it will not be long before it is slipping. And in the first winter of plowing snow, the receiver hitch simply snapped its welds. I needed to reinforce the welds and the front frame members. </p>

The straw that broke the camel's back was when the oil and coolant radiators clogged with snow and ice during an extended afternoon of plowing. This was not something that had ever occured to me as a possibility so I was not thinking about it and the temp guauge was covered with snow, so I could not see it. Anyway, the end result was that it overheated and burnt out all the bearings and seals. Needed a complete engine rebuild at $4400--and only 188 hours on it! (To their credit, the Arctic Cat people covered all the parts, which was about half of the bill. It was, after all, ultimately my responsibility for not monitoring the temperature.)</p>

Finally admitting that the Arctic Cat was not the answer to my needs, I happened to stop by the local Kubota dealer. I had not previously been familiar with the RTVs. When I did my research that led to the Prowler, my internet searching turned up Yamaha, Polaris, Kawasaki and Arctic Cat machines. Not sure why, but probably because I was using "UTV" as my main search term. The Kubota does not often turn up as a UTV. But I saw one in the Kubota dealer's lot and so went in to take a look. Long story short, a week later and lots of web research (I read virtually every posting on this site--no small thing!), I became the proud owner of that RTV900, having been offered a very good deal.</p>

Both vehicles are currently sitting in my driveway, the Arctic Cat up for sale (only got it back from the shop about 4 weeks ago). What I can say is that comparing the two is like comparing a VW Bug to an M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle. One is a fine means of getting around, the other is designed for serious work. Suffice to say that I do not worry about the welds or the belts slipping. And there is no comparing the power and torque of the Kubota diesel. </p>

It is true. I have to be satisfied with topping out at about 20mph. But I did not buy the RTV to race. I rarely need to go above 5 or 10mph. The plow mount is solid. And as Kubota Kanook noted, I also picked up a snowblower attachment (you can check out my set up at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J73BEgcHHzs). </p>

All I can say is that I am deeply impressed by the RTV900. I think most of the recurring issues noted on this forum (gas cap, etc.) have been sorted in the later models. And some of the folks on this forum have put on a great many hours. Like any machine, they need to be taken care of, and having OEM fluids is really important for the RTV.</p>

If you want to go fast, I have an Arctic Cat on which we might be able to cut a deal. If you want to do any amount of real work, especially plowing, you won't go wrong with the RTV. And then there are all the potential add-ons that are possible via the RTV hydraulic system. Not much you cannot do.</p>

Good luck! I am sure if you have questions this forum will be able to provide honest answers!</p>

Onfoot in the North.</p>

lucas

So for ranch/farm work what tires would work best for the RTV? the work sites or the aggressive ATV tread style? What kind of response and performance can I expect from each?</p>

Lucas</p>

Onfoot

I have the worksite and they are fine for getting around in the woods and generally dry ground, but slip in mud and snow, filling up quickly. I think the ATV tires would be better in snow and mud. (I have chains to add in the winter for snow.) But my experience is limited. There are others on the forum who have experience with a variety of tires and strong opinions. I am sure they will chip in!</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome Lucas. I live on a 1000 acre working farm { cattle } .I took my WS tires off after being stuck more than I care to remember right after I bought my 900 in Feb "05. (The WS tires will not climb over rows if wet conditions are present.) I have been using aggressive tires since and just absolutey must have them. The WS are in the "tire room" collecting dust and will only serve as emergency tires in case I have bad luck.The WS tires clog up and won't clean out in mud. The aggressives will climb out of almost anything in Low gear. I've come in to cool off but must get back out in the heat now. I will be glad to answer any questions will check back this evening. Bordercollie..</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Dern Tommy, </p>

Think he wants aggresive tires , not something that looks like the back of a dead gator >>>>></p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
dare you go funnin me again . juss wait til it rains againi'm gonna show up on your front lawn wit my outlaws not inlaws remember what happened to rusty when he didn't pay for his parts huh??? i showed up at his house right after a hard rain and tore up his lawn he's still replanting grass to this day.lmao.</p>

before</p>

imgthingvoo.jpg
</p>

</p>

after</p>

1007291.jpg
</p>

1007261.jpg
</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
you know the funny part about when the cop came and gave me that ticket ??he had to ask me what that thing was cause he couldn't make out what brand or model it was because i had like 3"of mud covering the whole entire rhino</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
O.K. Tommy, </p>

I'm waskinda hitting ya pretty hard, my coonass friend >>>> Sorry 'bout'dat ....Don't care what you do, just don't bring over your crawdad fishingbuddy again, I'm just now getting folks to come back over tothe shop and stuff.</p>

Man, shecould tell 'em crawdad stories where they hadus allshakin' inthe LaCrosse boots !!! Is it true she showed you how to hand grab them bullfrogs ? Did she show you how to skin 'em in the shower, with both of ya'll skinin in the shower ?</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
man you should see her in spandex. i tell you what man she slept o.v.e.r one night and we got muddy in the swamp whell anyway she triedputtin on a pair of my bvd boxers man she stretched them things out so bad that the tag in the back didn't say bvd no more it spelled blvd. she wanted to take up scuba divin one time and had to wear a rubber wet suit WOW!!! she looked like a mini flipper and i tell you what they didn't need no weight belt heck they had to try pumpin air into the suit just to get her to lift off the bottom of the diving tank. she dove in and sank right to the bottom the bad thing was there was a viewing glass at the bottom of the tank and a kinder garden class was out on a field trip and them poor kids thought free willy done died some of them kids are still in therapey to this day.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
DamnTommy,</p>

Keep herdownthere on your part of the State , she need not to come any further north, not even close toBaton Rouge at all, she ruin the future for the children of Louisiana ....</p>

</p>

...............two guns </p>