Broken winch

kas1263

</p>

I have a Warn 2500 winch that won't pull anymore. Last week I was stuck in the mud and was pulling myself out when it felt as if the winch slipped and stopped pulling. Now when I hold the hook and start to winch I can hold the wire and it won't go in. The switch on the side that releases the spool is now hard to turn. Any suggestions on how to fix it?</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Warranty ?</p>

Have you ever pulled against the winch line ?And by saying that, as you know,winches are made to do the pulling.Sounds like it has been pulled>>>> EXAMPLE ..... , some people will tie the winch line onto something like a log, and instead of letting the winch pull it, they will throw it in reverse andpull against it ... That's what I mean .... There has been a many of winches damaged by this .... Always let the winch do the pulling.... Not saying you did this, but that what it sounds like..... And you might can go online and find a schematic on the winch that you have and go from there >>></p>

As you know, it is NOT much to a winch. If you fell like you can take it apart and put back together, take a look... for if the "starter motor" is running, it's got to be in the spacers, catches, pins, or gears. If you feel uncomfortable with going into it, send it back to Warn or bring it to a starter / alternator shop and let them take a look at it. Most shops of this nature works / repairs winches....</p>

............ jamie</p>

TWO GUNS....</p>

I wasn't aware of the the pulling against the winch line as you describe, but it makes perfect sense when I think about it. You saved me a winch at some point down the road...THANKS</p>

BigBen

</p>

Two Guns is correct!!</p>

A friend of mine used his winchto tie his Kubota down on his trailer,when he got stuck his winch would not work. Sent it back to Warn they said the winch had been "pulled". The bouncing while being trailered broke the gears. No warranty repair!! If it's running and not pulling sounds like the gears are broke.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
how old is the winch?can you pull the cableout by hand meaning is it free spooling out? if it is then the winch might be stuck in free wheel. if the winch has a few years on it then it might be a mud clog thing happening.i just recently took my warn 2500 apart and cleaned it out and put it back together. this is a exploded view plus the parts if you need them the most you will need is item#1 it has a gear tooth all the way around it plus it has the free wheel engager on it . all the rest of the gears are basicly made out of stainless steel or a very hard steel.it's simple to take down and fix i done repaired a few winchs that people think are no more good and they give me and just go buy new ones .</p>

</p>

http://www.montanajacks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPRODGROUP&ID=6</p>

kas1263

When I got stuck in the mud I attached the winch wire to a bull dozer and when he was pulling me out that's when the winch broke. I'm going to have to take it apart and see what damage is done. Hope I can get it back together again with out any extra parts. Thanks all for the input.</p>

Kas1263</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
if you can't just box it up and ship it to me i'll put her back together for ya just remember you don't have to take the motorside off just the gear side all the parts slide into one another like a puzzle it's pretty easy the hardest part is cleaning all the old grease and mud out of the gears .but like the others said never pull off the winch alsawys just use it under it's own power if the winch won't pull you out then unhook it and get a truck or someone else to pull you out but never jerk the cable.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="kas1263"]</p>

When I got stuck in the mud I attached the winch wire to a bull dozer and when he was pulling me out that's when the winch broke.</p>

Kas1263</p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

YEP, kas1263, that will get them everytime !!!</p>

That is considered as " pulling " against the winch >>>>>>></p>

Had a farm hand stuck a truck last winter, he decided to use the winch line instead of reaching in the back of the tool box and retreaving a chain. Tied on to tractor, lost a BRAND NEW WINCH !!! Yep, he knew better .... Yep, we couldhave fix it, BUT No, There was a brand new winch purchased, and it WAS NOT myself that purchased it either. Someone not knowing I can understand, but he knew better !!!! That was a very touchy subject around the barns for a few weeks !!! Funny how ones education sinks in when it comes out of their pocket !!!! He's a good man, but didn't have his thinking hat on that day !!!!</p>

................two guns >>>>>>>>>></p>

</p>

zenchal26

<span style="font-family: Arial; color: black; font-size: 10pt;">May I make a suggestion? When you get a new winch get a 4000lbs one. The Kubota almost weighs 2000 and being stuck in the mud really strains the 2500lbs winches. I have a warn 4000lbs and it pulls great. Just my 2cents<o:p></o:p></span></p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
And may I add a note on the subject, when your using your new winch, use a snatch block, makes things so much easier and much less strain on the equipment .....</p>

.........just trying to help !!!!
</p>

>>>>>>>>>> two guns >>>>></p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
yea dat bota shouldn't have anything smaller than a 4000lb winch on it and like twoguns said make good use of the snatch block.</p>