Steep Grades?

symphony

I’ve made my decision and plan to acquire a new RTV X1100C. I had high hopes for the RTV-XG850 Sidekick but it’s lacking in many areas and is the same as other UTV offerings with no real advantage over the competition.

I have one serious concern about the X1100C’s ability to climb steep grades? I’ll be using it on my vacation property where there are some very steep inclines. I’ve never measured the grade, but if I were to hazard a guess, one part of my gravel road is approaching a 30-35%.

I’m looking for some experiences or anecdotes on using the X1100C on steep grades. I don’t really care about the speed getting up the incline but want to make sure I can make it up without stalling. I know there are accessories like a hand throttle that can help with keeping the vehicle in the power band but there would be serious consequences if it stalled out and slid over the side of the road. For the winter months, I plan on installing chains or tracks.

The nearest Kubota dealer is 150 miles away so I don’t have an opportunity to try one on the property before I buy.

Appreciate any feedback.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have what I consider very steep hills and rough terrain. I had an 06 RTV 900 with aggressive mud tires (can't remember the name) and it climbed my hills just fine in L. Once I put in the hand throttle it climbed the same hills in M with the hand throttle set. Guessing my hills are 25 to 27 degrees. in most places. Short parts are steeper, but so short it does not impact me.

My current RTV is an 09 RTV1140 with standard knobby tires, it will not climb all my hills. The longer wheelbase, poor tires and weight all factor in I'm sure. I believe with better tires it would do just fine but I have not proved that yet.

hondajoe

Steep hills

Well you must think of this as a tractor no hook no book.Tires are your best friend.Mine climbs very well with hand throttle and good tires in the right range no rpm to get you out of trouble in a pinch.Wheel speed real low.JOE PS very heavy.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
IMHO if steep grades and trails were a major concern and I was going to drop 20K on a machine (any machine - even a Jeep), I would be test driving it on a similar terrain. Perhaps you dealer could provide a test site for you at their location.

While the RTV is a versatile vehicle, it does have some limitations. As do all side by sides. I agree with others that proper tires for your application and terrain are a key factor in 'go no go' situations.

Good luck with your decision.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Bought a Northstar ranger last week. Haven’t had it long enough to give good review but it is a huge improvement over my 2015 ranger xp900. We like to trail ride but got used to rtv’s ac. Won’t be getting rid of the rtv, it is part of the family.

Attachments

• 47F6D886-70BE-479B-830D-77DF5C628210.jpg
    47F6D886-70BE-479B-830D-77DF5C628210.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 185
I have an X900. We live with steep terrain in the PNW where I live. IMO, the machine will climb any hill, but you need a hand throttle and high traction tires. Now what I did not say is that it will clmb hills fast. This machine has a major flaw in my opinion which is the Hydrostatic Transmission. It is not well implemented in this machine and you will find going up hill slow and sometimes frustrating. You will get up, no doubt about that, but you might find yourself walking because it is faster. Also the machine is heavy and will do some damage to both trails and lawns with nobby tires. But one thing to add is that I love this machine for my wife. It is slow, and I don't mind it as she can get herself in trouble. It goes everywhere, and is comfortable and safe. Its build like a tank. But if I were to buy for myself I would not buy this nor any Kubota X series, but instead look at the Honda.

symphony

Thank you all for your feedback so far. I mentioned in a previous thread a while back that I seriously considered other UTVs. High on my list was the Honda Pioneer 1000 since it is one of the few without a CVT belt but its cab is just not on par with the X1100C. Given my intended use, a proper well sealed cab with HVAC is essential. The Honda, Can-Am and Polaris that I looked at with cabs installed all had plastic doors that did not seal properly. Their cabs are very costly options bringing the final price in the range of a well appointed RTV X1100C.

I wish that Kubota would have put some effort into fixing some of the RTV’s shortcomings but at the moment it is the best UTV on the market for my intended use.

As long as the RTV has enough grunt to make it up the hills without stalling out, I’ll be satisfied. I’ll be swapping out the factory tires for a better performing set.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I too am on very hilly ground. My 900 crawls up the hills slowly but surely. The hand throttle definitely helps.

For the tires, many dealers will give you the option of swapping to a different set of OEM tires (e.g. Worksite to ATV) at no extra cost.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought the Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe last Dec. It runs great but the plastic body is a weak spot for sure. Cab options leave a lot to be desired, as you found out.

I do think the RTV1100 will be able to climb your hills just fine. One thing to note, when climbing the hill and the RTV engine bogs down, do not give it more gas. Instead you let off the gas pedal a tad and the engine will gain power and chug right up the hill. Counter intuitive but it works.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I too am on very hilly ground. My 900 crawls up the hills slowly but surely. The hand throttle definitely helps.

For the tires, many dealers will give you the option of swapping to a different set of OEM tires (e.g. Worksite to ATV) at no extra cost.

Hand throttle? Is that an addon or something Kubota incorporates?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's a Kubota accessory you can add which allows you to set the RPM's by hand instead of using the gas pedal.

The Hydrostatic Transmission is very counter intuitive. My Power Trac tractor is HS and it took me a year to master it. The most torque your machine will have is when you have the engine running at max Torque (High RPM) and you BARELY depress the go pedal. The more you push on the pedal the less torque you send to the wheels. Many of us put in a hand throttle control, just set the engine on fast and use the the pedal to control speed. As you go up a hill, you have to let off the go pedal to maximize torque to maximize hill climb. Adding the hand throttle does not disengage the throttle control of the go pedal. (the go pedal controls both the throttle and the hydrostatic transmission). It just "bypasses" the throttle. You can drive the machine without using the hand throttle, that part is not disengaged. I have seen but have never been in a X with a cab. It looks super nice but we don't need it where we live.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I like to think of our X1120 as a tank. It does not go fast but it will go just about anywhere even pulling or carrying a big load. It never hesitates, bogs down or stalls.

And sometimes we would like to ride some public trails and the Kubota can't do that. It is not titled and therefore cannot get a state permit for public trails. So we are probably going in the direction Doc took - RTV for most work and Honda 1000-5 for most play. There is of course so overlap.

If you need something to help you work on your land and climb steep grades (mine are closer to 15 degrees) you can't go wrong with the machine you're looking at.

Hope that helps.

CKing

Are you sure about getting it titled? I got necessary paperwork from my dealer to file for state title in florida

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I should have qualified that, sorry.

If you buy it for your farm as sales tax free, the dealer, at least in Ohio, will not provide you with the certificate necessary to register it with the state.

If you paid sales tax, I would expect them to provide that to you.