hinomoto 1987 power problem

wells

Tractor runs fine until I hook up pto for shredding or plow (without using pto). Used to have great power and was able to shred or plow using high gear, now have to use medium gear and if I come up on a small hill almost lose all power and have to shift to 1st speed. Any ideas what's wrong?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds similar to an issue I had with my tractor last Spring. In my case, it was dirty fuel coupled with a somewhat clogged fuel filter. I pulled some fuel into a clear glass container between the tank and filter. Let it sit overnight. It had a significant amount of debris (primarily rust and dirt particles from inside the fuel tank). Changed out the fuel, filter and cleaned the tank and it's worked flawlessly since.

I'd check that first as it's an easy, cheap step and could fix your problem.

wells

Thank you very much for responding. I wanted to also add that my tractor runs fine in all gears and speeds if not pulling anything. Would that make any difference in your reply? Going to our place this weekend and will check the fuel items you stated above, just thought I should add that it runs good if nothing hooked up to it.

Thanks again!!!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mine ran fine at all RPM's as well but as soon as it was under load, it would sputter. When under load, it just couldn't pull the amount of fuel it needed.