Don't Know How This Happened

Bindian

While changing transmission fluid today, for the first time. I notice a bolt missing on the right tractor subframe for my backhoe.
frown.gif
I had the backhoe already off to mount the 3PH arms and the brushog. When I got a mirror to look up in the hole, I saw that the bolt was sheared.
eek.gif
It looked like it had enough meat left to remove it with vise grips
wink.gif
after getting the subframe loose and moved over. I loosened and removed all bolts, but the two forward bolts. I lowered the subframe (one inch thick and HEAVY) with a bottle jack in back while the two loose forward bolts kept it from falling off the jack. I had to heat the bolt (all threads were saturated in locktite paste on installation 2 & 1/2 years ago) to break the locktite bond.
eek.gif
After a little heat, I tightened a pipe wrench on it and slowly removed it.
biggrin.gif
This all after I had the tire off and the tractor blocked up in 3 places. I put it all back together while measuring the spacing for the left and right subframe halves to get them spaced right. Each time in the past, I had to pry one subframe half to get it to pop in the clevis when mounting the backhoe. Now it should drop right in place.
rolleyes.gif

hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 10-17-09 Sheared Bolt on Tractor Subframe.jpg
    10-17-09 Sheared Bolt on Tractor Subframe.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 10-17-09 Tire Off For Subframe Bolt Removal.jpg
    10-17-09 Tire Off For Subframe Bolt Removal.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 138
  • 10-17-09 Sheared Bolt with Serviceable Bolt.jpg
    10-17-09 Sheared Bolt with Serviceable Bolt.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 137

Bindian

If all the rest were tight, it's hard to imagine just one shearing off.
Ohio TC18,
It was sheared as the threads top is flat, which was :cool: if I had to drill it. I am thinking it could have been stressed upon installation or removal. I think the kid shop helper that helped Travis with the grunt installation work. The kid might have put it in in a bind. The bolt that sheared has to be started and tightened first as it goes beside the 65 or 70 degree mt. flange for the telescopic link. The left side's bolt is half way out and jammed into the mt. flange.
eek.gif
I will have to buy a 15/16th crows foot to tighten it up as my crows feet at the hangar only go up to 7/8.
rolleyes.gif
The right one I reinstalled last night has enough room to get a 1/2 inch drive socket on it, but not a 3/4 drive, because of the side to side slot for adjustment. So I took a chance with my 1/2 inch breaker bar and the 4 foot cheater pipe on breaking it, but it only flexed real good.
biggrin.gif

hugs, Brandi

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good catch Brandi.
I have a rattle on my tractor that is driving me bonkers. Something is loose but I have yet to find it. When I drive on a bumpy road I hear it rattle but when I stop and look I have not found it. I'm changing oil next week. I hope fo find a sign of it when I'm crawling under the tractor.

Bindian

Good catch Brandi.
I have a rattle on my tractor that is driving me bonkers. Something is loose but I have yet to find it. When I drive on a bumpy road I hear it rattle but when I stop and look I have not found it. I'm changing oil next week. I hope fo find a sign of it when I'm crawling under the tractor.
Doc,
Hehehe.......I have a high rpm tick that I finally tuned out when on the backhoe.:pat: I have had Luke drive the tractor so I could ride in the BH seat to find a rattle.:cool: Come to find out it was the ROPS mounting bolts.:rolleyes:
hugs, Brandi

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
BH subframes and how coincidental. I'm starting a 500' gas line job tomorrow and thought I probably should check all the bolts on my subframe, glad I did. Found a few loose but 3 of them where the forward bolts on the mid-mount bracket and of course I had to take the bolts off the tractor brackets to get an impact on them. Heck I ain't got anything broken and I feel your pain Bindian. Good Luck ........... !

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I will have to buy a 15/16th crows foot to tighten it up as my crows feet at the hangar only go up to 7/8.

Same thing here, over and over. I have odds and ends of crows feet in both metric and sae sizes, a 2 1/8" 3/4 drive socket, a couple of large metric 3/4 drive sockets and a lot of other stuff only used once. Some of its been in my tool box since the 1960's. But if I ever get rid of something with a foot of dust on it I need it the next day :pat:
rolleyes.gif

Bindian

BH subframes and how coincidental. I'm starting a 500' gas line job tomorrow and thought I probably should check all the bolts on my subframe, glad I did. Found a few loose but 3 of them where the forward bolts on the mid-mount bracket and of course I had to take the bolts off the tractor brackets to get an impact on them. Heck I ain't got anything broken and I feel your pain Bindian. Good Luck ........... !
Big Dog,
There wasn't any pain, just time I could have been brush hogging.:rolleyes: Since I am a Aircraft Mechanic by trade,:cool: I don't mind turning a wrench or two at home.:thumb: My right forward bolts were not as tight as I would have like, but checking the left side found them tight as Dick's hatband.:yum:
Funny thing, Mahindra puts way larger bolts up front for the front FEL mounting bolts than the ones for the rear axle housing bolts for the backhoe!:pat:
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

Same thing here, over and over. I have odds and ends of crows feet in both metric and sae sizes, a 2 1/8" 3/4 drive socket, a couple of large metric 3/4 drive sockets and a lot of other stuff only used once. Some of its been in my tool box since the 1960's. But if I ever get rid of something with a foot of dust on it I need it the next day :pat:
rolleyes.gif
Jim,
All my bent, grinded down, cut or modified in some said way to fit something wrenches are all at work, but they are all smaller wrenches. :pat: I am adding highly modified wrenches for the tractors as I go. Thank God I have a Grainger warehouse close by.:cool: I had to buy some 8 point sockets, for tranny drain plugs, from them because someone at Mahindra put them in too tight.:eek: I "stole" a complete 3/4 inch drive socket set with ratchet, T bar, and two extensions from TSC a while back for $68! :eek::hide::cool:
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

I installed 8 new bolts today with Locktite 242 Threadlocker.............the blue stuff. I had to lower both subframes with the rear tires off. I am so glad that is over. I had to take a 15/16th wrench to my welding shop to have it heated and bent to fit the hard to reach bolt. I also put Theadlocker on the front bolt threads. I throughly coated all the bolt threads.
hugs, Brandi