european serial numbers

benka

hi I am looking at a european model 4455 mfwd tractor. Can anyone tell me what the serial number prefixes would be on a Euro tractor??? Would anyone have any concerns or objections to buying a tractor from europe???
thanks

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think it's real important to ask your local dealer if he will support it. Deere has been real nasty toward gray-market Yanmars which are twins to what Yanmar builds for Deere.

If they have an attitude like that toward non-US Deeres then the tractor would be a total orphan. No service in a Deere shop and you need to order each part from Europe.

Ask around. Don't put down any money before your local Deere dealer at least agrees to source parts for you.

jd110

Ag sized tractors that were sold in other countries are not usually any problem with parts or service here. Deere builds these tractors here in their own factories. The gray market yanmars are not usually the same as the John Deere versions, so it is impossible for Deere to supply the parts for those units since they didn't build them in the first place. The ag sized tractors are usually near identical to sold in america models with exception to things like different lights, and sometimes they are equipped with parking brakes and park. And sometimes they have different hitches. The only problem is sometimes determining which comparable US model is the same.

In answer to Benka's question about serial number prefixes, I don't think there is any difference. All tractors built in waterloo, whether for US or another country, the serial number starts with RW.

RJC2

I agree with JD 110. I have a friend with a 4255 euro. Nice machine with very nice lights, as required in Europe. The rest was all the same. Parts were as easy to get a US model. Those headlight bulbs were $30 a piece, but then most Deere parts are a bit salty price wise.