2005 JD 5303 Gears Grinding

BDAWSON

I have an 05 JD 5303 with 250 hrs. It just recently started grinding gears while shifting to any gear. The clutch is fully depressed and the tractor is stopped...RPM is at idle speed...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This tractor is used for light duty work....cutting grass and square bales....bought it new.. had it 2.5yrs

BDAWSON

I spoke to the dealer this morning. He thought due to the light use of the tractor the clutch plates had some surface rust built up on them. Suggested that I put the tractor in a high gear, hold the brake and let the clutch slightly engage for a short period....I did this several times and it seemed to fix the problem.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi BDAWSON and welcome to NTT.
I didn't know what it might be on such a new tractor. I'm glad to hear the dealer had a good suggestion and it worked. Grinding gears is scary. We can always see the dollar signs when you hear the noise. On such a new tractor, that is probably also just out of warranty I was worried for ya. Glad it turned out to be minor. :D :beer:
Cheers!

BDAWSON

Thanks Doc and Mith

Doc you're right about the warranty....ran out at 2 yrs...I think the trans is covered for 3...I was pretty concerned about the grind and the $$$$....Every time I turn around it's something else costing MORE $$$$$.

I have another problem with the paint on the rims of this tractor....each one is rusting around the valve stem....Even though the tractor is out of warranty John Deere backed up their product....going to sand blast and repaint the rims for me....more good news.

Thanks for the replies.....I like this site..