Return on accelerator sticking and drive to rear wheels appears intermittent

Dvaepat4

Should I open up opposite side drive? Not showing any signs of binding/roughness etc but concerned the metal may be from it. It may be from a previous failure though that has since been fixed!! If the other bearing had failed would the drive be loose/rough/noisy?? Thanks

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i see in the photo what you are talking about. the debris you found does look like a bearing cage. a question though did the debris come from the tank under the seat? or out of the gear box?

Dvaepat4

It came from the HST tank, drain plug between rear wheels on underside of machine. I've laid the broken piece in the bearing removed to replace the broken CV shaft and it is an identical fit....not sure how it could get past the splines though and into the tank....unless there are similar bearings inside the tank or unless previous person pushed them through when replacing broken bearing??

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
correct me if i am wrong but i don't think the gear case and the hydro share oil reservoirs. i think the case you drained would be the gear transmission and yes i agree that looks like a bearing cage to me. you should remove the other side outboard bearing and holder then look and see if the pieces you found match up. compare the pieces to the bearing and account for all missing pieces. could also be from another bearing internal to the gear transmission. i think with both sides removed you can fish around with a magnet and find all of the pieces.

Dvaepat4

The bearing removed was complete but the parts look identical to those in the bearing cage (same radius profile etc). I can pull open the other side easy enough but if the bearing is ok, are there any other identicle ones inside or can I be confident it has come from a previous failure subsequently fixed? I can pull open the case (same as I did previously to replace swash plate) and get a good look around inside. Just need to make sure I clean and seal them all up again!!

Dvaepat4

Bearing location and overlay of debris on bearing concluding match.

Attachments

• IMG_20180819_201755.jpg
    IMG_20180819_201755.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20180819_202103.jpg
    IMG_20180819_202103.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 46

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the only way to know would be to get the number off of that bearing and compare to the parts book. it would be a good idea to take the other side off and have a look. also you might pay special attention to the gaskets and seals for evidence there was a previous failure.

Dvaepat4

The shaft in question has been off before. I could tell because different coloured gasket paste inside triangular section (previously not cleaned off very well!). Haven't looked at the other side in much detail although CV joint on other side seems sound (this side has been clattering about and evidence of weldingto keep spiders in).

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i hope you either find a knackered bearing or a brand new one on the other side. if you find it knackered remember to compare the found bits to the bearing to account for all of the pieces. last thing you need is a broken gear tooth. i doubt that anything that big would hurt the HST. while you are in there you could roll the gears and feel for rough spots.

Dvaepat4

Given the side I am working on has a wrecked CV joint showing historic patch repairs and significant wear I suspect this has given trouble in the past...maybe a wrecked bearing too. The other side is rolling smothely but guess I would regret sealing up without checking!! Will keep you posted. Going to price bearings and will change as a proactive measure if not tomorrow expensive. Recommend replacing any other parts whilst at it?!

shinnery

The bearing in the picture you posted seem to have something wrong as the balls are not equally spaced around it. Just from looking at the picture.

Dvaepat4

Hi Shimmery, I overlaid the largest piece i found in the oil on the compete bearing I removed and concluded it was a match. Given the bearings are quite cheap new I may aswell change them whilst it's open. I need to find out if this metal is from another bearing but remain hopefull it is remnants from a previous repair (this machine is new to me - I bought it as a non runner / project and have little history on it). I've been looking at parts diagrams and whilst there are bearings inside they do not share part codes...I am therefore assuming they will be a different size/radius and hopefully not associated with debris. I am torn what to do as it was running and driving on axle stands with no horrid noises...but I think I would regret not opening up whilst at this stage of strip down.. thanks

Dvaepat4

Some good news this evening....managed to remove steering pipes by using an extendable DIY plumbing wrench! Also removed drivers side rear axle. Bearing complete but has been removed previously - this became evident as the triangular flange was updside down with the drain at the top, orange gasket sealant and a bit of damage to the finished face. Had a look in from either side using a flexible torch/magnet and didn't find anything untoward or further debris. Dropped Flexi magnet in via filler neck and didn't find anything either. Should I open up one side and inspect further do you think??

Dvaepat4

Photos attached this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20180820_220627.jpg
    IMG_20180820_220627.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20180820_222001.jpg
    IMG_20180820_222001.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20180820_222032.jpg
    IMG_20180820_222032.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 39

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i wouldn't worry to much. if the bearing was still in the compartment you would see balls everywhere. probably a previous repair. can you roll the gears by hand and feel for bad teeth?

Dvaepat4

If I put shafts in I can turn by hand but I didnt do it too much as thought I should keep positions or does that not matter? Had a look at teeth through shaft openings with torch on end of Flexi rod and all looks complete. I think I will flush tank with some oil ( any suggestions on grade?) And see if any more debris comes out.

Dvaepat4

This is a 2007 but the hour clock is missing. I've put a new one in to monitor for future servicing but suspect this has done 3000-4000hrs. Like the other one I was working on I suspect it has been worked hard in the past and perhaps not maintained very well. I will flush tank and monitor for further debris. I've checked parts diagrams and there doesn't appear to be similar sized bearings within the HST so hoping this was remains following previous repair.

Dvaepat4

Passenger side opened up and all appears present and correct. No further signs of debris (looks quite clean). Should I open drivers side?? Although I suspect if I open it whilst passenger side is open the central diff will be unsupported and drop down?

Dvaepat4

Photographs attached this time

Attachments

• IMG_20180822_172850.jpg
    IMG_20180822_172850.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20180822_172903.jpg
    IMG_20180822_172903.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20180822_172912.jpg
    IMG_20180822_172912.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 23