Hardtop coming soon.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I had wanted to work on the top the past few days as I thought I'd have an easy week but the opposite was true. You must spray pastures when the wind is good.
My plan is to make a top similar to the homemade console I make for the RTV several years ago. For the price of a sheet of 3/4 plywood, fiberglass resin and black bedliner paint, I can have a roof that I can stand on . This will get me by till I can get something better lined up.
After that is accomplished. maybe I'll add a console with radio and small speakers. Will have to see about that though.... there is already quite a few blank knock outs on the dash for switches ...
Much to think about. collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
collie
does your Roxor have the chip that allows highway speeds? does it require DEF fluid?

No chip here, I've read that that can be done with a modification. I don't want to go over 45mph so won't pursue that .
Thank goodness no DEF !! Also, two of our JD tractors have that and it's a real pain in the axle. Late yesterday, when I was tired and almost through feeding, the tractor light indicating "burn off" ,came on so I had to let it run the course before I could cut it off. When loading the feed wagon with the mixer on, I throw a thin sheet over the tractor radiator / hood vents to keep some of the dust out. The tractor engine gets hot during the burn off so shouldn't have the hood vents covered during that process.Never sure when the cleaner function will happen on them. Needless to say I get really aggravated when that happens so am very glad it's not on the Roxor. collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Slowly very slowly starting to work on the Roxor's roof. I have the 3/4" plywood rough cut and am deciding on the front drip angle and also the rear.
I ordered the fiberglass resin and a fiberglass mat . Also, I have painted the underside of the plywood black. Even ordered some of the metal DJ clamps that BCZoom recommended back when I needed to put a homemade windshield on my RTV in what seems like an eternity ago. They are awesome clamps though and very pleased
with their construction. Here are some similar clamps but a tad big for the Roxor so I added a half piece of foam pipe insulation to the clamp . They snug up perfectly now I also put in a longer bolt so the plywood plus the resin would work together. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Stag...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Step 1. Starting on edges here in this picture. I plan to have a slight upper rise on the roof side edges so some of the rain will be sort of channeled to the front and rear instead of just coming straight down and into the seat area.Rain will still come down over the edge in a heavy rain but I think the slight edge will soften the runoff to more of the outside and not seat and floor area- yet not hang on limbs.
This is a roughout of the roof and will look much better when all finished ... I hope anyways. :) I'm hoping it will resemble the homemade RTV console I made 7 years ago.
I know steel would be better but not everyone has the tools to work with it. We have them but I love wood and its fairly cheap. bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0062 (1).jpg
    KIMG0062 (1).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 42
  • KIMG0041.jpg
    KIMG0041.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 43

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Another Step

Worked on the roof a bit more. I did flip the painted side over so I could see my markings as I worked on it. The strip of wood on the mineral tub will go along the side x2.
A long way to go so still looks rough... One day, I'll be ready for the resin.

Attachments

• KIMG0074.jpg
    KIMG0074.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 35
  • KIMG0075.jpg
    KIMG0075.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 35
  • KIMG0072.jpg
    KIMG0072.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Did a little more today, but it'll be next week before I can do the smoothing out, rounding corners and then the resin.

Attachments

• KIMG0077 (1).jpg
    KIMG0077 (1).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 33

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I've mostly finished the hardtop. I put on a coat of resin on the plywood which
I should have foregone and then a coating of Herculiner. It keeps me and Dixie the collie out of the sun.. but next is a windshield because the rain blows right in our eyes and the wind at driving speed makes it hard to see.
I used the DJ clamps to attach the roof to the roll bar and all is good so far. Including clamps and Herculiner the cost was less that $80 because I used scrap plywood- and I can stand on it to cut limbs. :) collie

Attachments

• KIMG0185.jpg
    KIMG0185.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 18