Did you title your RTV?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought my 06 RTV900 used. I got a bill of sale and did not even ask about a title. I use the RTV only on my property so no license needed or wanted.

But ..now I'm selling this RTV since I bought an 09 RTV 1140 from a private seller. A guy wanted to trade me a honda 700 and he asked me about a title (since he has one for the honda). Now I'm wondering if I need to get one to sell properly.

(The seller of the 1140 gave me paper work from where he bought the RTV (same dealer I use) but there was no title included, and once again, I did not ask him about it as I did not care. A title just means I have to pay tax on the unit.)

So I'm wondering if most RTV's are titled or not. Understood that different states have different laws on this but just wondering if you have a title or not. Am is missing something if I do not get a title?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i don't think you need to get a title to sell it Doc. but the new owner may want to title it for his or her needs. a bill of sale should suffice.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
My dealer explained that if we are tax exempt and using this on the farm, we did not need a title and they retained the "certificate".

My insurance agent advised that an RTV is treated like a chainsaw or like our old Ford 9n and no title is required.

Having said that, I don't think you have to have a title to sell (my opinion) but a perspective buyer may not understand that. Perhaps the dealer that originally sold it can provide a copy of the certificate.

Hope this helps.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
i don't think you need to get a title to sell it Doc. but the new owner may want to title it for his or her needs. a bill of sale should suffice.
You probably don't need a title to sell it but... If the new owner wants a title but there is one already on it (under another person's name), they won't issue a title because it then puts ownership under two different people.

I bought an ATV awhile ago. Previous owner didn't transfer the title to me. I tried to title it and they wouldn't do it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You probably don't need a title to sell it but... If the new owner wants a title but there is one already on it (under another person's name), they won't issue a title because it then puts ownership under two different people.

I bought an ATV awhile ago. Previous owner didn't transfer the title to me. I tried to title it and they wouldn't do it.

So, how did you resolve the ATV issue?

Thanks all for your thoughts. I use the RTV on our property for work and pleasure. I'm not tax exempt and prefer not to pay taxes on it, so I'll wait till someone wants to buy and then figure out what is best to do. Thanks again.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
My dealer explained that if we are tax exempt and using this on the farm, we did not need a title and they retained the "certificate".

My insurance agent advised that an RTV is treated like a chainsaw or like our old Ford 9n and no title is required.

Having said that, I don't think you have to have a title to sell (my opinion) but a perspective buyer may not understand that. Perhaps the dealer that originally sold it can provide a copy of the certificate.

Hope this helps.

Same here.

This is interesting reading;

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-apv.aspx

Technically it should be titled and taxed, but apparently not for farm use.
Not sure how that applies to your sale doc. When I sold my atv everyone that asked about it made sure I had the title.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
When I bought my new 2011 RTV 900 from a dealer, I paid full sales tax even though it is used solely on a farm. The only way not to is if the equipment had a pto the state says.. I even called the state tax office and was hoping to get the 3 % farm rate... nope... 7 %. I got my title in the mail when my last payment was made last August. Buy it new -out of state and you may not pay tax then but they may catch you on the new models because of the "title" . Then it comes back and bites you in the pocket book. collie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, how did you resolve the ATV issue?
Haven't resolved it yet. It's the guy that lives across the street. I only speak with him once every few years but I'll get around to it.

Old Man 1944

Gold Site Supporter
In Alabama the RTV has to meet certain requirements besides turn signals, brake lights, emergency flashers, seat belts etc. The one thing it does not meet is to maintain 30 MPH.:drive2:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Same here.

This is interesting reading;

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-apv.aspx

Technically it should be titled and taxed, but apparently not for farm use.
Not sure how that applies to your sale doc. When I sold my atv everyone that asked about it made sure I had the title.
Thanks AA. I'm in Ohio and that link states all these vehicles sold after July of 99 must be titled. Crap.
I bought my Honda 450ES in June of 99. Still use it, and no title. From the article I am required to title it and pay tax on the purchase price. Uggg

The RTV I might sell was bought used from a guy in Alabama, so he was not required to have a title from what Old Man posted.

The 1140 RTV I bought used from a fellow buckeye last Aug who had purchased it new from the same dealer I use, so it should have been titled.

All good to know. It's going to cost me, but like Collie, I might as well bite the bullet and start the painful process of getting these titled. Thanks to all for the thoughts on this.

CKing

For Florida if it goes faster than 30mph it can't be Agriculture exempt. So Kubota with slow vehicle sign is legal on the highways like a tractor. You can still title it if you want, my dealer is sending me certificate of origin. To run around on state property for recreational use state wants it titled and decaled for proof of ownership. For UTV on highway they need lights mirrors signals and insurance titled and stay on roads 35mph or less. Can cross hwy of speeds greater than 35mph. So I guess you could drive it in town.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
According to an online search of the Texas Dept of Public Safety, ATVs/UTV's (RTVs) must be titled in this state regardless of useage. Agriculture/Timber exemption certificate will relieve one of sales tax however. They may NOT be operated on public roads except by farmers/ranchers. (Hunters, beware!)

1100C

I got a Certificate of Origin with my 1100c bought new. That’s all I need should I ever want to title it, but it stays on the property and is considered farm equipment.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
A vehicle Title proves ownership more durably than does a Bill of Sale, is my understanding. An owner is better protected if the vehicle is Titled.
Example: You might buy a chain saw and a vehicle from a guy who gives you a Bill of Sale for both.
The vehicle and chain saw are both later stolen.
The vehicle cannot be Titled by anyone without instigating an investigation of Title Transfer, but the chain saw can be sold to anyone/anywhere or pawned without much trouble.

As for taxes owed, that is highly regulated by each state as to whether a "sales tax" or a "use tax" is owed and/or whether certain exemptions might apply.
Agriculture/Timber exemptions usually specify what type vehicle/equipment can be exempted. A tractor can be exempted if the ag exemption is valid and claimed... but a pickup truck, even if only used on private property and never on a roadway cannot be exempted because it is not "inherently or by design" exclusively for ag use. Further, a tractor can be moved on public roads between farms/fields without licensing...but a truck MUST be licensed to be on public roads...even if it's only used to pull a hay wagon.
(I am not a lawyer. I am only restating what I've learned by reading my state's regulations. Yours may vary.)