Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
The herd around here is having a bit more difficulty but that will end next week.

c4V6r7n.jpg

zU1UYyc.jpg

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Advantiguy, that's sure slim pickin's . and looks cold. Our fields are so muddy that the cows and heifers are eager for any grass they can find so the yard is very appealing- at least it isn't cold here at this time though. We have had more rain than I ever remember for this time of year. Farmers have yet to prepare for corn planting and that window is closing fast. collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Haha ! They sure do a really quite job of it .. just munching and crunching .. a nice sound I love to hear- as long as it's not on the wrong side of our fence and the neighbor's crops. :) . collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I got a nice pm for Dennis a couple of weeks ago. All seemed ok. He may be on a road trip or busy with his farm.
I haven't heard form Richard but I am guessing the snow up there has kept him busy.
collie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Am here and THANKS FOR THE THOUGHTS...……..Nothing going on. Judy has it right, just gone on as many days and nights as I can using my sail/kayak, Airstream, mules, and yes around here on the place. Doing lots of days and nights at the VA docs in Murfreesboro and Nashville. Nothing really wrong just stuff. On here, lots of new mechanical stuff that I dont know anything about and I hate coming on here and running up my post count just to hear myself on the keyboard.
THANKS...…….GOD BLESS...…..Dennis

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's been very quiet in here for the last couple days. How's everyone doing?

Very busy here. My FIL has dementia but lives 300 miles away so it's been difficult for my wife to take care of him. We bought the house next door to us and are going to move him in there this weekend. We bought it last summer but gutted it down to the drywall. The only thing kept in the house was the doors. Everything else has been replaced. Have been working 90+ hours/week between regular job and this house. I'm burned out.

Oh, and my RTV hasn't been driven in months. :(

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I zipped over to Columbus last night and went to the Blue Jackets Game. They won. 4 to 0. First time they've won when I was in attendance. 3 of the 4 goals scored at the goal near me. My friend has 2nd row seats behind the goal. Fun place to watch the game from.
I'm not a big hockey fan but when I can go to the game and get seats like that I'll go as often as possible. :D

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you !!! I'm here , Just using the tractor and spraying I'm about worn out.. Have an impossible Number of acres to go before the neighbors crops start sprouting, Then it chop thistle time then its feed time still.. Everyones gone for a few days so it's all up to me. Dixie and Willile say I'm a party pooper because The Roxor loaded with thistles will only carry one puppy unless one of them drives. :) :)
I had big plans this week for some do it yourself fun on the Roxor but instead its just be work work work.. ahhh . the farmlife.. Light winds mean spray spray spray. Thinking about making a top maybe .....
I can't wait though !! So we have a Roxor forum now? collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, a Roxor forum section has been created and we're hoping you can get it rolling.
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=147

That's great Zoom ! I just came in for a bite of lunch( cold sandwich) and then back to it so will be in hopefully before dark and check it out. The fence has another short so going to load up the kubota with 2 pups and go find it , then do some feeding of cows and bulls. maybe a load of spray this evening if not too windy. Thank you and Doc for all efforts !!!! collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
thistle pictures

These are some pictures of the thistles I was talking about in another thread. My machete is dwarfed by one of the large ones I cut down today. Also is a picture of the hoe with a hook on it. It virtually eliminates having to bend over and pick up the sticker bushes. Just hook 'em and toss into the back of your machine. bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0324.jpg
    KIMG0324.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 42
  • KIMG0323.jpg
    KIMG0323.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 42
  • KIMG0322.jpg
    KIMG0322.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 40

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sprayed more pastures today and will have a break tomorrow !!! It may rain so I can maybe work on the roxor. a bit.. still need to find a mystery short on the fence though.. I think its bad insulators on the metal t posts because the voltage just trickles away on a short run of fence. I'll find that gremlin tomorrow...maybe haha.
Here are a few pictures of the little tractor and my water reservoir .
I've had that little gps for years and years but it keeps going and going...off sometimes ..haha but comes back on thank goodness.
I use the box on my hood with a towel under it so I can see the gps display in the sunshine- it works pretty good.
The tractor is a real trooper and it's 4wd got me out of 2 soft spots today while pulling an almost full 300 gallon tank. Blessed again !
Also notice our little friend on the barn roof above the tractor. She knows how to get down now though. ;) . bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0330.jpg
    KIMG0330.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 37
  • KIMG0327.jpg
    KIMG0327.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 35
  • KIMG0325.jpg
    KIMG0325.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 34
  • KIMG0331.jpg
    KIMG0331.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 36

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Border Collie...…….I hope that you are aware that there are umpteen million little girls that find what you are doing with thistles a totally terrible thing.....lol....and a hug to you.....
My grand daughter just did some special project for her engineering/science class about Monarch butterflies. It seems that farmers are cruelly and maliciously endangering the butterflies by depriving them of......hold your breath.....THISTLES!!!! …...I KNOW, that you of all people are doing this out of a malicious hatred of the orange and black little creatures that only want something to eat......ohhh the shame..She is selling thistle seeds to plant in flower beds and gardens. Of course, to help her I bought 3. I asked her what happened to Girl Scout Cookies and she advised that "nobody cool does that anymore Grandpa".........lolololol…..God bless YOU SWEEEEET LADY

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i used to have problems with those thistles also. i borrowed some beetles from a guy i know in Kansas and now the thistles aren't a problem anymore. i do leave some milkweed for the butterflies though. after a second look i am not sure those are the same thistle i have.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
OH yes, not to worry young people., I am only trying to contain the thistles. They multiply like ants so can never get rid of them all. I love those butterflies too and believe me, granddaughter of Dennis, there are plenty left. We just need to have grass for the cows to eat because they are not allowed to jump over the fence and eat at the neighbors like the butterflies do. The thistles can actually get so bad that they can take over a pasture and limit grass for the cows and calves to eat.
I did find the short on that fence. It was about 20 insulators that had been up since Katrina fence fixing . I'd ran almost out of black insulators back then and had found a package of gallegher green so used them.They were uv rotted today and just crumpled when I tried to take them off.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
We have a few of those thistles. Waist-high isn't unusual but I don't recall one as big as your machete photo. Jimson Weed (Datura) is what I'm trying to eradicate here. If I see one before the seeds pop, I pull it out by hand. After several years pulling them, they are finally rare. (The apples sell for much more as organic so we no longer spray the ground for weeds, just disc). The only spray allowed is lime-sulphur sprayed into the trees against Coddling Moth. (Photo - bin on my watering rig to take in the Jimson Weed).

My watering rig for new orchard trees is similar to your spray rig, 300 gallons in a tote. But using a smaller 4x4 tractor to pull it. ( Photo)

Is your GPS to spray in neat parallel rows?

A few years ago I got on a campaign to dig out the oak and blackberry volunteers that are so close to the apple tree trunks that discing can't reach them. Spraying in the past, and now pruning them down flush, wasn't killing them. But the backhoe pops them right out of the ground!

495707d1484785523-best-way-yank-out-shrubs-p1210154rdigweeds4-jpg

More 'brute force gardening': There are rows of old trees down in back that were impossible to harvest after they were abandoned to the blackberry jungle that had swallowed them. Note the grotesque shape of limbs that hadn't seen full daylight for decades. The backhoe did a good job yanking the blackberry runners out of the trees and stunting the blackberry growth on the ground. I still need to leave some ground cover down there to resist erosion.

120844d1233917125-dang-finally-broke-something-p1210561rclearbbbushes-jpg

The blackberries in the terrace rows are rooted so deep that there is little I can do on the surface to kill them completely.

45492d1128271350-blackberries-before-after-746540-img_5898rblackberryroot-jpg

I didn't realize the thistle you pictured is one that the Monarch butterflies need. I saw the first Monarch last weekend. Alone, and it seemed a little smaller than I remember but the coloring was right. What I haven't seen for a while is any frogs and grass snakes. Both used to be common, years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.