dead battery now will not start

Dusty Rivers

RTV 900 2013. Replaced dead battery now nothing works horn, lights gauges, appears completely dead, except my work lights that are connected directly to the battery now work fine. i checked the 2 big fuses and they look ok. Any suggestions? Checked battery terminals and they are about 12.2 volts. Charged the new battery and it is 100%.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
check the negative cable where it connects to the frame. clean and polish. check for voltage from positive terminal on bat and frame.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Will the headlights come on or the horn blow if you wiggle the cables? I think it must also be the ground or as you stated earlier, the horn would blow. at least.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Did you get a reading across the clamps too or just the posts? Once, my clamps and posts needed a good polishing before they would work properly.

Dusty Rivers

checked at the battery cable clamps

I checked voltage at both clamps. They are getting juice. I will check out the cables themselves tomorrow. No horn or head lights, . Acts like there is no battery connected. no signs of electrical function anywhere except work lights which are connected directly at the battery connectors.

Dusty Rivers

All fixed and running great

Turns out there are 2 cables that connect to the + battery terminal. One (the heavy one) goes to the starter motor, the other smaller one goes to the 60 Amp fuse that powers everything else. I was not paying attention when I took the bad battery out. The smaller cable fell down below the frame and I didn't see it.

When I looked at the wiring diagram it was clear. I pulled the battery out and there was the smaller cable end. I connected it up and fired it up!:dancing:

PS original Kubota battery ran 6 years. Replacement Kubota battery $120.

Reactions: Doc

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad you got it fixed and it was relatively easy.

PS original Kubota battery ran 6 years. Replacement Kubota battery $120.
Ouch. Is there a reason you didn't go with an aftermarket? When my OEM battery quit, I put in a deep cycle marine battery. It has a much better reserve which is needed if you have accessories (lights, stereo, amp...), especially if you use the accessories with the RTV turned off. With the OEM battery, I couldn't run my stereo/amp for more than 30 minutes without it draining the battery. Now I can go for hours.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for letting us know Dusty Rivers- and glad you're here with us. I also love your avatar ! collie

Lee1935

Glad you got it fixed and it was relatively easy.

Ouch. Is there a reason you didn't go with an aftermarket? When my OEM battery quit, I put in a deep cycle marine battery. It has a much better reserve which is needed if you have accessories (lights, stereo, amp...), especially if you use the accessories with the RTV turned off. With the OEM battery, I couldn't run my stereo/amp for more than 30 minutes without it draining the battery. Now I can go for hours.

deep cycle batteries are not made to stand the vibration automotive batteries are. Chances are you will not have a problem☺

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
deep cycle batteries are not made to stand the vibration automotive batteries are. Chances are you will not have a problem☺
Interesting. I've never heard that. I'd have thought they can take a lot of abuse as they're made for boats which always take a beating. The way I drive the RTV (very slow), it doesn't take a pounding.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Interesting. I've never heard that. I'd have thought they can take a lot of abuse as they're made for boats which always take a beating. The way I drive the RTV (very slow), it doesn't take a pounding.

chances are the battery you have isn't a true "deep cycle" battery but more of an in between automotive and deep cycle. those are made to take the shock loads you require while still giving better performance when lowering the charge on a cyclical nature.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure our John Deere tractors all have deep cycle batteries on them. They are in the field clipping in the summer and chunking mud out of holes in the winter as we feed cows. The BIL will only buy the JD brand for the tractors as replacements are needed though so they may have stronger plates inside.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i could be wrong but i think you are talking about High CCA John Deere battery??? yes they have more plates giving them a deeper reserve. a deep cycle battery is designed to give its rated amperage for a long period of time without damage. an automotive type high CCA with high reserve is meant to give its rated delivery very fast and for short durations. neither are good at doing the others task.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yea. I just got back from the barn so looked at the batteries. They are called Strongbox and not deep cycle. I tried to get back and edit my post before the alloted time ended, but got tangled up with some work.

Attachments

• KIMG0099.jpg
    KIMG0099.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 28