off-brand attachments

shinnlinger

DOugster,

You would win the coffee, but "there aaaaint no Starbuuuucks 'rounnnnd heeere" That said, I don't think this is a comparision as I have several 3pt implements but have not needed (Or wanted) a front QA.

But I will say I thought DK had me won over to getting it no matter what since it was only $500, but now I am back to my old thinking that it is a waste of money, and here is why.

What does the avarage 30 somthing 4x4 FEL CUT go for these days? 20 grand? Well my logic is that the extra $500 is a gateway to spend at least another $600 on pallet forks and I'm not even including anything beyond that in my equation here. ANything else just makes my point stronger (At least from my cheap hick way of thinking)

Back to my point, The QA is going to add at least another $1000 to your price and easily double or triple that if you get another digging bucket and snowblade, but lets stick to my conservative estimate. Is the QA worth at least 1/20th of the tractors value?

I dont think so and I get the sense I use my rig a bit more than most of you. DK said he uses a blade and a set of forks and the QA makes it handy to change. THat may be, but you still need to get off the machine right?

If you go in the homemade implements section you will find at least three examples of forks that will work just fine for what most of you use forks for for less than half of the $600 you spend on the QA forks. ANd that is if you buy them. If you can make your own stuff it goes for far less. I can install my forks in less than a minute very easily and the snowblade, which I got for free simply chainbinds in the bucket and might take 2 minutes to get set up. I have less than $50 into both of these combined and many many many hours of use with them. Hell every single timber in my house has kissed those forks at least three times from the forest, to the mill, to the house.

I am becoming increasingly concious of my overconsuming/overspending. When I moved up here I bought a slightly used F-350 diesel dually doublecab flatbed 6x6. In the 4 years I have been here I have put 12,000 miles on it and maybe loaded it to capacity 3 times and I drive it all of 10 miles round trip to work and back. Parralel parking the 22 footer aint a problem around here, but it is WAY overkill for what I am doing. I am thinking of selling it, butI dont know what to replace it with and I am spoiled by having it...

I am rambling, but I think I have said my mind on this. Food for thought.

Dougster

Old Member
You would win the coffee, but "there aaaaint no Starbuuuucks 'rounnnnd heeere" That said, I don't think this is a comparision as I have several 3pt implements but have not needed (Or wanted) a front QA.
That may be true... but I hope you will acknowledge the underlying logic in my question... namely: Why would a person demand an industry standard attachment system on the back of his or her tractor... but not on the front? :confused: What is so different about an FEL attachment system (vs. the 3-point attachment system) that suddenly makes a non-standard, non-interchangeable, proprietary attachment system an acceptable feature? :confused:

And remember... no one has to buy anything extra for that $500 investment... admittedly, not a small amount... in a skid steer universal quick attach system to be worthwhile. Resale value (i.e., tractor value to almost any potential buyer) will definitely be higher... and don't just think purchase of alternative attachments. Think rental for what you need but don't wish to buy. :thumb: To me, that's what the term "universal" is all about! ;)
I am becoming increasingly concious of my overconsuming/ overspending. When I moved up here I bought a slightly used F-350 diesel dually doublecab flatbed 6x6. In the 4 years I have been here I have put 12,000 miles on it and maybe loaded it to capacity 3 times and I drive it all of 10 miles round trip to work and back. Parralel parking the 22 footer aint a problem around here, but it is WAY overkill for what I am doing. I am thinking of selling it, but I dont know what to replace it with and I am spoiled by having it... I am rambling, but I think I have said my mind on this. Food for thought.
This is the new, politically-correct, Al Gore school of thought. I say better to have bought it and not have had to use it... than to have needed it and not have had it available. :) And if you are interested in selling it, please PM me and let me know what you want for it! :thumb:

Dougster

magicheater

I used up the whole box!!!!

This is a good thread, many valid pros and cons for QA vs. not, etc. Tractors started out built to pull things and probably why they all have 3PH's. International had the 2PH but now 3PH is standard. Loaders came later and then the whole skidsteer market and the FEL w/QA. Now you can practically put anything in front OR behind your tractor if money is no object. What do you actually need on your FEL? How often do you USE your FEL? A lot of people just use it to carry stuff along where they are going. I use my FEL to the max. The 3PH is nice for the tillers, back blades, mowers, etc. I built a set of forks for my 3PH and find other than the ability to lift high it works just fine.
Most 3PH's have a higher lift capacity than the loader that is on the tractor anyway. You can adjust the tilt also which is something you can't do on a FEL.
Getting back to the FEL, I view what ever you attach to it a TOOL. Is it worth the capital tied up to have many attachments that you use only a few times (at best) a year. I just got rid of a really nice 3PH post hole digger because it hung in the tree for (don't laugh) 10 years. Thought it would be nice to have. What I have now on my FEL is the original prototype for "Loader Buddy" I have a 6' HD Kubota bucket w/a $900 fancy cutting edge on it I bought because I thought I would use the Bucket then. Wrong answer! With what I have now I can tackle just about anything and not HAVE to change attachments! I traded in the Oliver 9 years ago when I got my L4350 but KEPT my Loader buddy ( wasn't called that then) Cut the old mounts off, welded on some new ones and continued the refinement and testing. Bottom line is that I would not be without Loader Buddy on my tractor. Oh, by the way, has anyone put down pressure on there 3PH??

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use the heck out of my front end loader. Sure I could do a lot of it with the 3PH but then it's behind me and I have to turn to see it / maneuver it as I need to.

I just have the bucket and some clamp on forks, clamp on trailer hitch and a Markum Tooth bar. All serve their purpose well. Agreed the 3PH can lift more weight, but the FEL can lift higher, for loading in a pickup or trailer. I have not yet had to lift anything that my loader could not handle. I'm sure that day will come though.

I don't have the hydraulics for top and tilt, so my 3PH can't do the tilt function. One of these days I hope to add that function mainly for use with my box blade. Sure would save a lot of getting in and out of the seat to make adjustments.

Sure would like to see a pic of the 'Loader Buddy'. Don't think I've ever seen one of them.

magicheater

pics of Loader Buddy

Here are the pics. This particular model is a 4' version mounted on a B7800.
A 5' quiktach version is in the works as well. Thanx for the interest.
Loader Buddy

Attachments

• DSCF0054.JPG
    DSCF0054.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0056.JPG
    DSCF0056.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF0058.JPG
    DSCF0058.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF0059.JPG
    DSCF0059.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0061.JPG
    DSCF0061.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 31

urednecku

That loader bucket looks like a real nice 'tool' to have!!

All this talk about to buy or is it worth it, you can get by with-out quick-attach, etc., reminds me of what my brother told an "older" volunteer fire-fighter years ago when the old fellow said "we've done it this way for years"......"well, we used to pull the fire engine to the fire with horses, too, but we found a better way!"

My Daddy grew up plowing with mules, then they bought a tractor. I grew up using tractors with out a 3ph, then things got a lot better when we up-graded to the MF165, which has the 3ph. Now I have a Kubota M7040, 4wd, with the FEL with the quick-attach, and wish I had known how handy and useful it is years ago....it would have saved my late Daddy and myself many hours and gallons of sweat. BUT, we DID get things done with-OUT it.
It comes down to----how much do you need it, and how much can you afford....something only the individual can determine. :starbucks: