58 degrees here yesterday

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Not so high today however.

But life is good with 21.6 diesel horses, 4 wheel drive and 72" of heavy gauge cold rolled steel to attack the elements. Did I mention I had to turn down the heater 'cause it got too warm in the cab.

h1hQRoB.jpg

Not complaining as I enjoy this weather. I don't like high temps and humidity so anything over 10 deg F is good.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
65 here an hour ago. But temps are dropping fast. 10 mins ago it was 54, now the temp is 52. Snow and cold heading this way. Should arrive around 6pm. It's allowing most to come home from work before the fun starts, mighty nice of mother nature.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i sent this stuff your way. day before yesterday it was almost 60F here and yesterday was 11F with 40 mph wind. no snow though.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
And after it hits Doc, I guess I'm next (about 1-2 hours later).

Major flooding here right now. They let the kids out of school early so the buses could cross the creek that splits our town in half. Now they're starting to close down the bridges due to high water levels.

Just need my daughter to get across a bridge then we can settle in for the evening. She's already on her way home. Wife is stuck in Philadelphia for the night due to this storm.

Due to expected ice tonight, I pulled out and fired up the generator.

We're supposed to get 8-10" of snow tonight. Don't have a plow on the RTV so I'll be using the tractor.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
last time i needed my generator we had it running for 32 days due to ice storm. life on the prairie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Gee, I hope all fares well for ya'll . Zoom, I hope the wife and daughter get home safely also.
It is sure cold here - that is for us (right now its 24. at 10p) . I had to fix on the fence after dark tonight and the 'bota got me where I needed to be and searched fence lines . I made it great with the trusty K but for having really cold toes. (28 degrees then ) . I had to zip all over the place for 3 hours and got home at 8:30p but got it (the fence) fixed and will ask the Lord to keep the feuding bulls and cows in tonight. Tomorrow I will give it a once over ,but (with 2 pairs of socks and daylight). And also should mention that the homemade windshield was a life saver tonight. collie

Kanook

After a brief January thaw that lasted 2 days, we are back to winter. Currently 11 below 0. Other than throwing a few sticks on the fire in the wood stove out in the shop and doing a little preventive maintenance, I'll let the botas snuggle until the next snowstorm.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Gee, I hope all fares well for ya'll . Zoom, I hope the wife and daughter get home safely also.
It is sure cold here - that is for us (right now its 24. at 10p) . I had to fix on the fence after dark tonight and the 'bota got me where I needed to be and searched fence lines . I made it great with the trusty K but for having really cold toes. (28 degrees then ) . I had to zip all over the place for 3 hours and got home at 8:30p but got it (the fence) fixed and will ask the Lord to keep the feuding bulls and cows in tonight. Tomorrow I will give it a once over ,but (with 2 pairs of socks and daylight). And also should mention that the homemade windshield was a life saver tonight. collie

God Bless You Collie. you deserve an 1100!!! that watertight cab with central air and heat can be like a little cabin in the wilderness on nights like that. since i started using high tensile electric fence with a real expensive high impedance mains charger the bull stay where i put them. and i carry this little device that points me to any fault in the line. works great

foxalaska

My cold weather ran away again, 22 above all night. Should be 30 to 40 below. I'm sure it went to visit you lower 48'ers again.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
God Bless You Collie. you deserve an 1100!!! that watertight cab with central air and heat can be like a little cabin in the wilderness on nights like that. since i started using high tensile electric fence with a real expensive high impedance mains charger the bull stay where i put them. and i carry this little device that points me to any fault in the line. works great

Thank you Aurthuritis. :) I have one of those fault finder testers ( like yours it sounds like and couldn't make it without it. This one is red - Years ago, I lost one I had that was green in color found it a few years later ruined by weather -
Our last energizer was a 220 v and was struck by lightening . We switched back to a 110 but it is one of the strongest with 14 ground rods. I have 5 strand HT that covers the east side of the farm, then a solar energizer in the back pastures and lastly a tru test here at the house for this w side of the farm. So many deer and " coyote" I always am having broken insulators /hot wires twisted with ground wires. etc.. Last night I had all three + in multiple places. It's been so busy , I have been slack on fence tending. Well the bulls found out and went through a section but thanks to that tester I isolated each problem with a quick fix and will go and fix them properly today. I also found a bad jack that for some reason wouldn't carry the voltage, and add broken cut off switch to the list... just used a jumper wire for that until today. The Lord is good . bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My cold weather ran away again, 22 above all night. Should be 30 to 40 below. I'm sure it went to visit you lower 48'ers again.
Yes it did. :( Forecast said 3° low for last night. At 9AM, it was still -12°.
Warming up to about 15° today.

Spent a few hours clearing snow yesterday. I wasn't being efficient as I just wanted some seat time on the tractor.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thank you Aurthuritis. :) I have one of those fault finder testers ( like yours it sounds like and couldn't make it without it. This one is red - Years ago, I lost one I had that was green in color found it a few years later ruined by weather -
Our last energizer was a 220 v and was struck by lightening . We switched back to a 110 but it is one of the strongest with 14 ground rods. I have 5 strand HT that covers the east side of the farm, then a solar energizer in the back pastures and lastly a tru test here at the house for this w side of the farm. So many deer and " coyote" I always am having broken insulators /hot wires twisted with ground wires. etc.. Last night I had all three + in multiple places. It's been so busy , I have been slack on fence tending. Well the bulls found out and went through a section but thanks to that tester I isolated each problem with a quick fix and will go and fix them properly today. I also found a bad jack that for some reason wouldn't carry the voltage, and add broken cut off switch to the list... just used a jumper wire for that until today. The Lord is good . bordercollie

on my mains chargers i use the stafix unigizers. i like the feature of being able to turn off the fence with the remote that doubles as a fault finder. no more insulators for me though as i have gone completely to a pasture pro composite or fiberglass posts. this alone has almost made my fence issues non existent. for portable fence i use the 3/8 inch fiberglass post with those little thingy that holds the wire to the post with a geared reel and the woven poly cord for conductor. and for a charger on those i use a Parmak 12 volt solar. all of this has taken most of the work from fence.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
on my mains chargers i use the stafix unigizers. i like the feature of being able to turn off the fence with the remote that doubles as a fault finder. no more insulators for me though as i have gone completely to a pasture pro composite or fiberglass posts. this alone has almost made my fence issues non existent. for portable fence i use the 3/8 inch fiberglass post with those little thingy that holds the wire to the post with a geared reel and the woven poly cord for conductor. and for a charger on those i use a Parmak 12 volt solar. all of this has taken most of the work from fence.
Aurthuritis, try out Kencove fence for the temp posts and wire clips- spring gates too. I like the yellow ones because they show up well.
That Speedrite energizer is what we have down the road and the remote/tester came with it. It has the multiple flashing lights and a digital readout on the face plate . I've yet to use the cut off feature of the tester though. The manual cut off switches are an enormous help with the tester and do good . One day, I'l have to try the feature of the dead switch. It would be nice, say if a tree fell on the fence and your cut off switch was a ways off, to use it right there on the job.

Weather wise, tomorrow is going to be decent but woe to many on Tuesday ! Snow flurries with a high near 32 and lows in the teens... 33 for the high Wednesday. Folks up North please take back this cold.. I don't mind the heat but this cold is a humid cold . Burrrr.. collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thanks Bordercollie. yea i have used Kencove for quite a few years now and i have used the speedright brand in the past too,they make good stuff. i get the sunguard 4 foot fiberglass posts exclusively now for temp and semi perm fences. i like not having to use insulators and makes for a trouble free fence mostly.

as for the weather --it is 6 degrees F right now and the wind is blowing about 25 mph and dry. the bota will start right up though with just about 10 seconds of glow and plenty of warm up time afterwards. i sure love that cab on days like today.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
my 1100 gelled up this morning. it was 4 degrees F with light winds and my son fueled the bota up with summer fuel. it started up initially with about a minute of glow but promptly died. i put some power service in the tank and used about a half quart of almost boiling water poured over the fuel filter and away we go. my next attempt if that didn't work was going to take a plastic bottle of bottled water and microwave it as hot as i could get it,and put it into the fuel tank to warm the tank. didn't need that though.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
my next attempt if that didn't work was going to take a plastic bottle of bottled water and microwave it as hot as i could get it,and put it into the fuel tank to warm the tank. didn't need that though.
Put boiling water in your tank???

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Snowing big flakes here and 26, forecast low of 13 tonight. :pat: shut the door! shut the door! Pups are happy to be inside . They stay inside anyways but when out with us but... pups will be pups and... as far as windowsills last summer,... thank the Lord for Bondo. says Dixie aka " the beaver". collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
when it is cold and windy like this and especially when it snows also, i think of some of my friends that were in bastogne or near there during WWII. those poor fellows had to live in this kind of cold without any kind of heat and very little food and supplies-ALL WHILE BEING SHELLED. "just so me and others like me could live in peace" God Bless them all.
when those fellows come to mind i stop complaining

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's so true of our foot soldiers and those in the Navy, after their ships sank were at the whelm of sharks, water conditions and the injuries they suffered.. So sad, I should never speak a work of my unimportant little , tiny and nothing comparable discomfort, to those heroes. God bless them all. collie