Air Filters - OEM Yanmar is much better than NAPA's 'will-fit'

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
See for yourself!

P1170474rYM-AirFilters.jpg

Back row from left: Yanmar 124295-12560, Yanmar 124450-12510 (the number specified for YM240/YM2000 in YM240 Parts Manual), and NAPA 2297. Front row: AC A127C, a clone of Yanmar 124450-12510.

The Yanmar filters and the AC are 2 3/8 inches tall. The NAPA 2297 measures 2 17/32" to 2 9/16", more than 1/8 inch taller. I had seen this one recommended somewhere and decided to try it, but it doesn't fit and will go back.

An import dealer once posted that using a taller, incorrect filter may explain why he was seeing premature wear on some engines. His theory was that using a Yanmar filter, the top of the filter enclosure seals properly. In contrast a taller filter holds the lid up slightly, allowing dirtier air from behind the radiator to hit the element straight on. And this photo shows the NAPA filter has less surface area.

Other observations:
  • 124295-12560 on the left is 4 1/2" ID, 7 1/2" OD.
  • 124450-12510 is 4 1/2" ID, 7" OD. Yanmar has more recently labeled this model filter 'YA1282'.
  • AC A127 is also 4 1/2" ID, 7" OD.
  • NAPA 2297 is 5 1/2" ID, 7" OD.
The previous owner of this tractor ordered an element from Yanmar-USA in 2003 and received the 124295-12560, the larger filter. It fits fine.

Genuine Yanmar elements have Yanmar's trademark embossed in them, similar to JL (upside down).

YM240 Operation manual says to clean the air filter element every 100 hours and replace it after five cleanings, or annually.

LMTC, Little Miami Trading Company, says they have third party filters that are perfect fit. They also can provide the rubber gasket between the air cleaner housing and the manifold, and a replacement air cleaner cover with a fresh embedded o-ring that will seal perfectly to the filter.

I hope this research helps someone!

Last edited:

Mark777

Good stuff California!

I believe that the aftermarket, slightly ill fitting air cleaners have a direct connection to premature engine wear...rings specifically. Perfect fit OEM filters are a little pricey but cheap vs. a low hour rebuild for the top end of your engine.

I think Wayne at LMTC is a stand up guy and wouldn't boast an excellent substitute unless it were true. I've noticed his parts are often less expensive than other suppliers as well.

Eddie

When I was rebuilding my YM1700 due to premature ring wear, I read about the ill fitting air filters. I checked mine and sure enough it did not fit well enough to keep air and dust from getting around it and into the engine. This filter was in the tractor when I bought it.

I bought one from Fredricks and it fit great, was tall enough to seal and not let dust in.

I have used nothing but filters from Fredricks ever since.:pat:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Continuing, more than you ever wanted to know about Yanmar Air Filters. Unless you happen to own a Yanmar. Then you know you can't find this information anywhere else.

Here's what is on the original US-version air cleaner cannister.

My tractor is a YM240, the version of YM2000 that was sold here in the US during the period when Yanmar had their own dealers here.

How's this for low operating cost? The tag says you can wait to 1,000 hours before installing a new element! I don't think I'll wait that long.

P1170479rYM-AilFilterCleanT.jpg

Mark777

Hmmm, that’s interesting. I’m wondering if Yanmar in referencing the ‘permanent’ wire wool and fabric, washable elements that you only occasionally see on a very few models?

I can’t think of one supplier that still has, or can acquire those any longer.

runningbird

I have also tried the after market filters. Also 6mo later was lucky enough to do my first rebuild. I am in a very dry and dusty area of Arizona and dirt just wiped out my rings… Now I use only Yanmar filter. Mark is right they are a little more actually quite a bit more but I think well worth the cost.
Mark

Mark777

Nice to see another familiar name, Mark. Welcome to NTT and there's always room for another Yanmar tractor Enthusiast

Hope you hang out, enjoy and post some pictures.

runningbird

Thanks Mark
Always looking for others interested in the Yanmars.
I have completly redone and repainted a few that I am proud of.
last one was a FX20 that really came out nice.
I'll try and post some pictures when I am at home and have the help of my daughter.....never can figure this picture deal out.
Mark

runningbird

I'll try a couple pictures and see if I can do it....if not it will have to wait till I am at home. if this works there are a few of a ym2000bd that I had fun with.

Attachments

• tractor pictures 019.jpg
    tractor pictures 019.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 41
  • tractor pictures 020.jpg
    tractor pictures 020.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 34
  • tractor pictures 022.jpg
    tractor pictures 022.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 37
  • tractor pictures 023.jpg
    tractor pictures 023.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 36

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wow! Gorgeous pictures, and that's a gorgeous tractor. I want one like that!

runningbird

right now I have some of each....I like most of the fx tractors more, but I love the lines on the newer ym B series tractors...next project is a 1300, smallest I've had but should be fun!

Mark777

You'll have a blast with the little 1300.

I did one nearly four years ago...was a broken down tractor with some serious problems, but most were cosmetic.

Here's a picture - and I still have the tractor even though I've had some handsome offers.....I just keep it around for the little jobs :D!

Attachments

• 1300D-4.jpg
    1300D-4.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 39

runningbird

well Mark I've seen your photo's on another site. that is one fine tractor. Seeing that tractor actually inspired me to do better work!
My 1300 is only 2wd but will not go up for sale as my wife as claimed it as hers. GREAT WORK

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
[re the yellow decal stating 1,000 hour replacement] I’m wondering if Yanmar is referencing the ‘permanent’ wire wool and fabric, washable elements that you only occasionally see on a very few models?

I can’t think of one supplier that still has, or can acquire those any longer.
Mark, I've been thinking about your reply for a week. I went out and took a better picture.

I think that might be what I have here, a NOS 'permanent' filter. Is this lower filter what they look like? The filter paper has a strange texture, like it was sprayed with concrete.

I wonder how old that box is, since it is from before their red trademark color.

I bought two of these NOS filters. The other one is in the tractor. Maybe I'm set for life.

P1170819rYM-AirFilterElements.jpg

Mark777

We had a model equipped with a permanet filter in our shop. I thought it was very dirty and packed with dust as the filter felt too heavy. After washing (as an experiment) we found it to weigh about twice that of the replacement filter ...and decided to install the original.

I can't tell by looking...but if yours are the permanent type, you just gotta love that :D.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh.

The NOS filter feels about the same weight as the modern used, washed, filter shown behind it. So it's apparently just old stock, nothing special then.

Oh well.