Kubota RTV 900 transmission problem - hardley moves in gear!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i want to see that huge grin on your face when this all works out ok. congratulations and Thank You for taking us along the journey. much was learned.

Dvaepat4

Sorry for the delay...i need to investigate why i am not getting alerts from your messages! Been caught up with various things limiting progress...however machine still jacked up. Was working on it tonight trying to sort out creep. I used the neutral screw on the piston to stop creep on drive and all appears well. A few blips on the accelerator and getting instant response and speedo going above 25mph. Waiting for fluid from dealer to top up tipper reservoir and hst. Also replacing a seal on the front drive shaft, then put tipper back on and test drive :)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes that screw on the servo piston is to adjust the piston back and forth in order to center the swash plate into a neutral position. then adjust the speed lever to max travel. to adjust correctly you need to have a set of gauges to set the neutral and speed levers correctly.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry for the delay...i need to investigate why i am not getting alerts from your messages! Been caught up with various things limiting progress...however machine still jacked up. Was working on it tonight trying to sort out creep. I used the neutral screw on the piston to stop creep on drive and all appears well. A few blips on the accelerator and getting instant response and speedo going above 25mph. Waiting for fluid from dealer to top up tipper reservoir and hst. Also replacing a seal on the front drive shaft, then put tipper back on and test drive :)
Email from this server is being blocked by gmail and since gmail blocks it I've found many other sites follow their lead. So if not getting notices it is most likely not your fault. Wish I could say there is a solution on the horizon but unfortunately that is not the case. My apologies.

Dvaepat4

Thanks very much for all of your help...it has been a steep learning curve, cost me alot of time....but saved me alot of money!!....if doing it again I could probably half my time...but I guess thats how it goes!! A few finishing touches to go but pleased with results so far. Hopefully my trail/experience will help others problem solve/fix their RTV 900s, especially those looking to replace the inner swash plate with guide!! I am a hotmail user and was getting notifications previously but not anymore for some reason. Thanks again for all of your time and contributions :) :tiphat:

dmatlock2

How common is this problem? I've got a rtv 900 with similar issues, but not as bad. Above maybe 25% throttle doesn't make it go any faster than 12mph in any gear. I've read several other posts on several other sites with no solution.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
How common is this problem? I've got a rtv 900 with similar issues, but not as bad. Above maybe 25% throttle doesn't make it go any faster than 12mph in any gear. I've read several other posts on several other sites with no solution.

not that common. but before you tear into the transmission make sure your spark arrestor is clean or removed and also make sure the engine it turning 3600 rpm at full throttle. then kake sure your peddle is traveling far enough to get full stroke on the servo lever and throttle speed control lever at full peddle.:harley:

dmatlock2

Done the checks and adjustments on half a dozen other forum posts. Including removing spark arrestor. Brake check. Engine runs as any other of the rtvs I've driven. Without a frame of reference servo lever I can only show pictures. I attached or tried to attach 2 pictures, one is servo arm at idle and the other is 100% throttle.

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_092413.jpg
    IMG_20200318_092413.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20200318_092155.jpg
    IMG_20200318_092155.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 50

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
when you push the peddle all the way against the stop does the throttle lever come against the stop screw? when was the trans oil last changed? filters and oil are original Kubota? have you checked the fill level in the tank? what did you find?

dmatlock2

Fluid and filters are less than 100 hrs old and is almost to the top mark. Throttle stop is touching attached are pics of it one of those is from the pedel and the other is bypassing everything. I've driven more than a few of these things in the past 15 years and know how they drive basically brand-new. There's no outside adjustments that I have checked and have had any improvement on speed. This has been an issue for 4-5 years since I bought it. I'm not kidding about the outside adjustments. I have checked every damn one, even the servo adjustment screw was adjusted. I will build a pressure tester if you think it's going to help. I've tried to borrow one from the local Kubota, but it must have been gold plated and diamond encrusted. I will not do business with them ever, only thing I got was "change out the hst" from them. They didn't want to try anything else to fix it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_154935.jpg
    IMG_20200318_154935.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20200318_154910.jpg
    IMG_20200318_154910.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 43

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
not doubting your competence just base lining. if you feel confident that the engine is running 3600 rpm and the exhaust is clear and everything is adjusted, the only other problems could be a collapsing suction hose or warped scratched valve plates and then valve body. have you checked the charge pressure ?

dmatlock2

Tell me where to hook up the tester. I've got a pressure gauge in the mail heading to me. What ever adapter(s) I need I will aquire to check every pressure.

Attachments

• s-l400(2).jpg
    s-l400(2).jpg
    20 KB · Views: 26

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
for the charge pressure you will need another gauge much smaller values. i strongly suggest that you get on ebay and get an original factory service manual and not a copy. or just order one from Messiks.

dmatlock2

Lower value pressure gauge can be gotten locally. How's my wsm look? It's 31 pages I included 1 random page. Didn't want to upload the whole thing. I've had that wsm since 2016.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200319-145642~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20200319-145642~2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20200319-150047.jpg
    Screenshot_20200319-150047.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 34

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
that looks like a wsm. but i can't opinion on if it is complete enough. the pressures are listed in the wsm. i don't have a copy for your model.