Kubota RTV 900 transmission problem - hardley moves in gear!

Dvaepat4

I will do, thanks. You should know by now I like taking and posting photos!! Thanks again. Will chase up part prices tomorrow.! Might take me a little while as i have a busy fortnight ahead but will chip away as time allows : )

Dvaepat4

Todays update; last prices were incorrect £4068 + VAT was for HST and gear box so wont be doing that!
Current options
A: £1,379 + VAT for complete new HST (bolt off bolt on) - altough I think it is beyond me to seperate from gearbox!!.
B: Swash plate and new guide is £80 + VAT
C: Swash plate, guide, piston and lever assy is £800.00 + VAT

Given the damage to the swash plate I suspect the piston and/or lever assy is at fault. Although on inspection and testing by hand, all appears well - a little confused on this one so not sure what to do. Option B is cheapest and most attractive but guess it could all happen again if piston and lever assy is at fault. Also I am basing my judgement on gaining side entry (the mechanic i spoke to today said brake assy drops 5mm when undertaking this way and you cant get them reinstated then have to open up to sort out.?!).

Option C should elimate issues however at that price I am then tempted to go for A: Full HST as better value for money (all new parts and components) and likleyhood for success!! But then I feel a little out of my depth for this scale of work!

I also have:
Option D: Dealer supply and install new swash: £900 + VAT
Option E: Dealer supply and install new HST: £2,200.00 + VAT

I am tempted and willing to run with B but I am aware that if the piston is faulty I will need to open up .... again.... and end up costing me £800 + time....!! And if that doesnt work....cry??!!

I think I will try and see if I can get in through side entry over next few nights. Chasis removal seems quite straight forward but will see how it goes!! I guess aslo need to value my own time and other "stuff" I need to be getting on with...which then makes me think...dealer route??!!

Open to thoughts / suggestions!! If anyone else has been successful in side entry please let me know!! :)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
although i haven't done it i think splitting the HST from the differential case is easy compared to what you have done already. if you split it at the rear next to the HST all you will expose is the ring gear and pinion and two cross shafts with splined couplers. you could replace the HST as a unit while keeping the gear case and differential you have.

even though it isn't any of my business,i vote option A

Dvaepat4

Looks like I am going for it alone...no way its leaving garage now until it is fixed!! Rear axle removal was easy enough although i suspect i will need help putting back on!! Brakes disconnected, HST oil drained and nuts/bolts removed from HST / Gearbox. Tried to open up but would not budge. Realised it's a very neat fit to pull out back of cage so ended up opening up drive shaft entries into HST box in order to get clearance. And the answer is yes you can get to circlip! Some photos attached. Inside hst box looks immaculate. Very tempted to go for cheapest option but best play safe and go for new HST complete. Need to get drivers side rear shaft entry off but will save that for tomorrow night!! Maybe even get HST off too!!

Attachments

• WP_20180502_21_37_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180502_21_37_04_Pro.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 93
  • WP_20180502_23_24_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180502_23_24_33_Pro.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 92
  • WP_20180502_23_24_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180502_23_24_15_Pro.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 93

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
looks like a bomb exploded Ha Ha HA. the two boxes are mounted together with bolts studs and on two dowel pins. the gasket most likely have it glued together so you will probably have to pry them apart, but be careful to not damage the mating surfaces or you will have a leak. all there is in there is the brakes and the ring gear and differential. the pinion gear will be part of the HST. don't take any of those bolts loose inside the case!! when you separate the splined couple-rs will allow it to come apart. you might need to reassemble the side covers with the brakes in order to keep the diff from falling out.

Dvaepat4

Haha, It does a bit!! Sawdust is there to absorb oil and blocks were supporting axle!! I need to keep side covers off in order to get clearance pulling hst out of the rear of the cage. When side covers are on the plates strike the mounting points stopping me from getting it out. Is there another way of getting it out? Thanks

Dvaepat4

Yes it does. I need to find a way of supporting frame and engine from ceiling then undo cage bolts at rear and swing down. I don't have an a frame or engine crane so will need to think about this one....!!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
is it possible to place a 2x4 or 4x4 across the top of the main frame above the gearbox or bell house. and then with a strap,small chain or wire go under the transmission and back and up around the 4x4 on both ends. if the 4x4 was a little longer and extended on either side the wire or strap could be exterior of the main frame. if you need more clearance you can make some small blocks and nail them to the 4x4 between the frame and 4x4 to raise things up a bit.

Dvaepat4

Thanks for the advice on diff potentially falling out. I have put brakes and shaft back into side. This proves the swash plate with guide can be changed by accessing from the side (still very tempting...hahaha!). Good idea re strap. I have axle stands just off the point of ballance in front of leaf springs (weight of cab is helping keep front heavy!). I may get away without using timber and just use chasis but will use timber if straps strike engine parts. Im thinking two straps; one at front of engine and one on gearbox. Remove rear mounting bolts (2) and front mounting bolts (8). Remove rear cage bolts and swing cage down. Will probably remove central prop shaft to avoid damage (easy enough). Im hoping this will create enough clearance to get hst out...will keep you all posted on progress. I just hope I remember how to put this thing back together!!! Should I be marking shafts or anything to ensure put back in exact positions?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
front prop shaft comes from the transmission gear case. the HST bolts to the rear of the gear case. should be able to separate HST from Gear case and leave the gear case attached to the engine. the rear diff and assembly will stay attached to the tractor

Dvaepat4

Thanks, was only going to remove shaft to avoid any unnecessary loading from movement from when I suspend the engine and gearbox from straps and drop cage away from it. Engine and gear box will be hanging/sitting on straps whilst cage is dropped down and hopefully hst pulled off the rear.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thanks, was only going to remove shaft to avoid any unnecessary loading from movement from when I suspend the engine and gearbox from straps and drop cage away from it. Engine and gear box will be hanging/sitting on straps whilst cage is dropped down and hopefully hst pulled off the rear.

OH OK. i see,i thought you were going to pull the gearbox too. kinda thought that because of the clearance issue with the side covers on the brakes. that is all part of the gearbox.

Dvaepat4

Looking to pull everything that is in this image out including casings - that's correct is it not? That casing on left of image isn't gear box is it?

Attachments

• WP_20180503_16_49_37_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180503_16_49_37_Pro.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 64

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Looking to pull everything that is in this image out including casings - that's correct is it not? That casing on left of image isn't gear box is it?

You are correct i was in error. the pinion will remain with the gear case but the differential will come out with the HST. SORRY

Dvaepat4

No problem, thanks for confirming. It is not included in new hst, I would need to add my own. Does this make things more difficult or is it a case of slipping off old and onto new? Is there potential for getting it wrong? If complicated maybe i should keep existing casing on and change all internal parts?