2040 Starter Removal

Rancherswife

Just purchased a 2040 from the family and we are replacing the solenoid and starter. My husband has persevered and removed the bolts. The bottom one being a bugger with the loader on. Can anyone direct us on what to remove now to get the starter out? Very new to this, but hubby is an engineer so if some one can lay it out he can get it done. Thanks.

RW

jd110

This may be different depending on which loader you have since each model has different clearances. Usually I have found that you need to remove the dipstick tube(it screws in) and also the fuel transfer pump. That should give you enough clearance.

Rancherswife

He has removed the dip stick tube. Does he need to bleed the system when he removes the fuel transfer pump? He is concerned fuel will be flowing freely we remove that part. Thank you very much for the help.

RW

jd110

Depending on your serial number, you can either shut off fuel at valve on bottom of tank for older 2040's, or you can pinch off the fuel hose behind the right side screen where it connects to the fuel sending unit with a pair of hose pinching pliers or a pair of vice grips on the newer 2040's to prevent fuel flow from the tank. After reinstalling the pump, I would reopen fuel line and then open the bleed screw at the fuel filter, pump the transfer pump until any air in line comes out the same as you would when changing the filter. That will prevent air from being drawn into the injection pump.