2014 x900 vs. 2016 1100

tfdr1

I bought a used 2014 x900 a few months ago and thought the whole throttle connected to the hydro drive arrangement odd from the beginning. My machine to me seems a bit sluggish. I put it in H and press the throttle and RPMs come up and then it seems like suddenly when they get to a certain point it begins to move. Now today I noticed an 1100 sitting at local JD dealer and decided to stop in and act like I was interested in buying it so I could take it for a spin to compare it to mine assuming they are similar beasts. I was extremely surprised that when I put the 1100 in H it was extremely peppy with no lag between pushing pedal and going. Is this normal for them or does my x900 have issues?

Dave

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can't say the 900 will have the pep of the 1100 but yours shouldn't be that sluggish.

When was the last time you changed the hydro fluid and filters. For the fluid, are you using Kubota's UDT or SUDT fluid? OEM filters? The RTV does not like other fluids in it's tranny.

tfdr1

Fluids and filters were done in July by the guy I bought it from and everything came from Kubota. It's got just under 300 hours and less than 1000 miles on it. I'm waiting on the dealer to come and do the wheel housing recall and I'm going to ask the tech if he'll give it a quick check. Maybe sluggish was the wrong word but it definitely didn't have the snappiness of the 1100 I tried earlier today. Like I said, with the 1100 as soon as I touched the throttle it went, there was no rpm rev then go like my x900.

Dave

No medium on a 2014 x900. Tfdr1, I have the same model and almost identical on the hours and miles. Mine does exactly as you described. Wait till you try and go up a steep hill. I try to get the speed up and then just feather it up to the top and that is in low.

tfdr1

Ok now I don't feel so bad, LOL. I did order a hand throttle for it and it should be here hopefully tomorrow. Any problems with lower ball joints? Mine are loose as a goose and new ones are coming with the hand throttle.

Dave

ovrszd

I use my old 900 in steep terrain almost daily. I need all three ranges. Hated to hear the newer models only had 2 ranges.... :(

dan900

tfdr1 wrote:

"My machine to me seems a bit sluggish. I put it in H and press the throttle and RPMs come up and then it seems like suddenly when they get to a certain point it begins to move. "

My 2014 x900 with about 500 hours did the same thing. When you push the accelerator 2 things happen: 1) the throttle is advanced and 2) the hydro is advanced. If one of these is out of adjustment, it can do as you have described. I adjusted the throttle cable under the bed (took most of the slack out of the linkage on the engine end) . It made a world of difference, I need to tweak it more though. When I adjusted it, it did make a difference in how it pulls hills now. Where I used to have to let off the accelerator on a hill, it now seems to pull it better. Also when I push the accelerator peddle, it starts moving sooner as the engine rpms increase rather than increasing rpms then starting to move.

Dan

tfdr1

I'll have to play with the adjustment at some point. Not much spare time now that foaling season is here.

Dave