2040 loses hyd pump flow

glenalan

I looking at a 2040 John Deere to buy. After running fro about 15 min it loses most of its hydraulics. The load or 3 point hitch will barely lift. It has a tandem gear pump on it. The guy selling it let me flowmeter the pump. It started out at 6.5 gpm at full throttle at 0 psi and about 6 gpm at 2200 psi. but it quickly dropped to 3 gpm at 0 psi and about 2.75 at 2200psi. From this I do not think the pump is bad. The seller said he has chaged the trans filter and clean the suction screen. I removed the low pressure relief and the trans filter relief and did not see anything wrong with them. Is there any way to flowmeter the transmission pump or any other test I can do to find the problem.

jd110

The only accurate way to check transmission pump flow is with a special adapter that fit in place of filter. Before you spend alot of time testing, has the transmission filter been changed? Sump screen cleaned? I dont like the esults you got from main pump. The flow should not have dropped to less than half in a few minutes of running. You might lose 10% flow with very hot oil, but not 50%. I fear you have worn main pump. Where did you check flow? I'm not sure of exact spec for main pump flow on open center system, but I suspect it should be in the 10-12 Gpm range.

cadetwillys

I looking at a 2040 John Deere to buy. After running fro about 15 min it loses most of its hydraulics. The load or 3 point hitch will barely lift. It has a tandem gear pump on it. The guy selling it let me flowmeter the pump. It started out at 6.5 gpm at full throttle at 0 psi and about 6 gpm at 2200 psi. but it quickly dropped to 3 gpm at 0 psi and about 2.75 at 2200psi. From this I do not think the pump is bad. The seller said he has chaged the trans filter and clean the suction screen. I removed the low pressure relief and the trans filter relief and did not see anything wrong with them. Is there any way to flowmeter the transmission pump or any other test I can do to find the problem.

I just did a flow check on my 2040...Per JD maint manual..remove the filter bypass vlv and remove the spring and vlv..hook flow meter to the hole and return the oil to the trans via the fill hole in back of the tractor...Barry