John Deere 5020 owners in this group?

getitdone1

As I mentioned in a recent post I bought an old John Deere 5020, May 24--my birthday !--and looking forward to getting it here in next few days. This was always my unreachable "dream tractor."

This one's not been souped-up with a blower or big engine. Engine runs really good. Very responsive, no smoke except white colored smoke when it first starts up. It's the Wheatland version with what I call "Orchard fenders." I do like that look!

Sold my dad's 4020 at auction last November and should not have. This 5020 will be it's replacement. The 4020 was gas and IT LIKED GAS ! Both of these tractors were made in 1967.

I'm guessing a guy could increase horsepower of this 5020 up to 160 hp and never have a problem from it over a long period of time. More than that and you might be inviting trouble.

Except for an old TD-24 bulldozer many years ago I'm new to diesel. Does diesel fuel "go bad" over time and are there good additives that will keep it good indefinitely?

Hope to hear from other 5020 owners.

Don

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Happy Birthday!!! :beer: Hope you had a good one. That is also my brother and sisters birhtday (twins), and Bob Dylan's bday! :D

If we don't have any JD 5020 dealers now your posts might help get some here. Google is amazing. It will find your posts and when others search on JD 5020 google will direct them here. So hopefully we'll have some 5020 owners here soon. :D

Yes, the fuel can gel up on you in cold weather. There are treatment that will add extra HP and prevent gel'ing, but dang if I can remember the name of it right now. :pat: I'm hoping someone else will jump in with the answer.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Yes, the fuel can gel up on you in cold weather. There are treatment that will add extra HP and prevent gel'ing, but dang if I can remember the name of it right now. :pat: I'm hoping someone else will jump in with the answer.

Power Service Products

They have an anti-bacterial additive, anti gel, and cetane boost. I've used all of them one time or the other.

My Uncle had a 5020, another Uncle a propane 4020 and we had a diesel 4020. I can't imagine a gas 4020, ours LOVED diesel. I liked the 5020 best, more power and it had a cab!:thumb:

I didn't like the one on propane. Always worried about something going wrong. Lots of high pressure plumbing and you started on vapor, switch to liquid so you were moving valves all the time. A guy could blow himself and the tractor up if there was a leak. :eek:

The thing is though all three ran thousands of hours with little problem.

Jim

Engine Emits Blue or White Smoke
1. Cranking speed too slow
2. Injection pump timing incorrect
3. Injection pump automatic advance faulty or not operating
4. Injection nozzles faulty or sticking
5. Excessive wear in liners and/or stuck piston rings

getitdone1

Paul,

Thanks for the smoke info.

This tractor emitted white smoke for about 2 minutes and then no smoke of any kind.

The engine had quick response when I'd give it more fuel.

I put a medium load on the engine with the brakes and the power and lugging really seemed to be there.

Don

DRBrower

Hey Don,

I'm a 5020 owner as well. Bought one awhile back I guess since I spent so many hours on my uncle's back in Iowa in the 70's. I've also worked at Cat and Cummins (I was a Chief Engineer at Cummins for over 10 years), so I've had some experience with diesels.

There are 3 things that you should know about diesel fuel; 1. It is sold in two grades, #2 for summer and #1 for winter (Similar to gasoline). #2 diesel will gel faster in cold temps, but it usually is fine down to around 10F. Anti-gel additives are sold at any auto parts store, especially in the northern climates. 2. Microbes can grow in diesel fuel, especially if it has some water in it. These little devils will turn the fuel black and can clog fuel filters, injector, etc. Again, auto parts stores sell microbe treatment. 3. The worst enemy of diesel fuel is water. This can be picked up from underground fuel storage tanks, condensation in fuel tanks, etc. A good fuel/water separator is a must and new diesel trucks all have them. Old 5020's don't.

Your white smoke is normal for a diesel engine that is cold. Using an engine block heater and/or cetane improver in your fuel can help reduce the white smoke. A little twist of the injection pump to advance the injection timing can also do wonders.

Hope this helps...

DRBrower