148 loader

snowman

bought a john deere 148 loader it came off a 4020 i am putting it on a 3020, i can just cut off the front part of the mounts and make shorter by 9" and weld end back on and make it work ??? anyone have any input on that??

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's a tough one to answer. Safety is always an issue. It's been too many years but how does the hydraulics of the 3020 stand up to the 4020?

jd110

Actually from what I remember, you want to cut off the rear part of mounting frames. If you cut off the front, the loader will be too far in front of front axle. If you cut off rear of frame and make a notch to go around the step, it should fit. Try measuring from the front bracket to the rear and see if the holes line up in the frame.
The hydraulics are virtually identical for 3020 and 4020.

snowman

ok if i cut the back off i think the brace on the bottom will hit the oil pan???
will post pic of mount on tractor not cut off, think its to far forward???

Attachments

• m148.jpg
    m148.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 148m.jpg
    148m.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 36

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My B-I-L has a 4020 with this loader. We're working bulls at 4 am to beat the heat and then I'm going on a day trip to Ark but will look at it Wed. Make sure you can access the internal oil filter (if the same as ours) if you get near the front side of step area. Bordercollie

jd110

I do think that the load in the bucket is going to be too far forward if you cut off the front of the frame. It will put excess stress on front axle and will require a lot of ballast on rear to counteract. If you cut a notch in frame to clear the step, it should all fit. Be sure to flip the cross brace to the lower position. You may need to cut a hole in the cross brace to access the oil drain pan.

Attachments

• m148.jpg
    m148.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 31

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We have a 158 mounted on a 4020 instead of a 148. But thought these pictures might interest you. You can see in one of them how the mounting frame is notched so the internal oil filter can be changed.Good Luck, Bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF2628.JPG
    DSCF2628.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF2633.JPG
    DSCF2633.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 26