RTV 1120D lost four wheel drive

sraddigan

My very new but just out of warranty, RTV 1120D appears to have lost the four wheel drive capability. It will go into four wheel drive, the drive shaft to the front axle will spin, the left front axle will spin, but the tire will not. I was told by a friend that the wheel hub is broke. There is no visible damage at the wheel. I can turn the wheel and the drive shaft does not turn. Does this sound like a wheel hub problem? Is this difficult to repair?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
take the wheel off and check the nut in the center of the hub. repeat with wheel off and let us know what you find.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm wondering if the splines are sheared off as well. I've heard of this happening before though. What size tires are you running? Although I've done this, I think you can do it if you're handy with tools. collie

sraddigan

Tire size is 24.00X10. I do have snow chains on all four tires. I removed the tire and found nothing out of the ordinary.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I'm wondering if the splines are sheared off as well. I've heard of this happening before though. What size tires are you running? Although I've done this, I think you can do it if you're handy with tools. collie

this is exactly what i am thinking. most of the time the hub is softer than the splines and a new hub can be put back on the old splines. not sure though if the axle is tapered or not.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Tire size is 24.00X10. I do have snow chains on all four tires. I removed the tire and found nothing out of the ordinary.

With it jacked up and the tire off, can you spin the protruding splines/hub and see if anything else rotates behind it? also look closely at the boots too and see what moves there . I don't have this model so am shooting in the dark to see if there is a common solution. collie

sraddigan

When troubleshooting, I determined that everything rotates in four wheel drive except for the the drive shaft from transmission to front axle rotates and the left CV shaft rotates, but the wheel does not. This indicated to me that my problem is at the front wheel hub. Any other possibilities?

sraddigan

When troubleshooting, I determined that everything rotates in four wheel drive. The drive shaft from transmission to front axle rotates and the left CV shaft rotates, but the wheel does not. This indicated to me that my problem is at the front wheel hub. Any other possibilities?