Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I upgraded my generator today and realized that I will have to invest in a wider set of ramps and probably a hernia operation if I am going to wheel this thing up onto a 2500HD like I did the Generac.

Does anyone have experience with the "Viking Rack Jack"? Looks like it is pretty well made and has a stand option which would help dress out a deer if you had a gambrel.

Appreciate any input.

I use one of these in those situations, works with any cordless drill.

https://www.warn.com/utility/acwinches/drillWinch.jsp

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Picked up another 7 pounds of buckeyes. Found some paw-paws too. Took a couple pics of lots of young buckeye trees and the view straight up from where we gathered the nuts.

Attachments

• BuckeyeTrees1.jpg
    BuckeyeTrees1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 132
  • buckeyeTrees2.jpg
    buckeyeTrees2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 129

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I have never seen such a concentration of Buckeyes. And the pawpaws are still coming down. I believe we will harvest what we have left Saturday.

If you save the pawpaw seeds and keep them cool (less then 40 degrees) and moist, you can plant them next spring. That is, if you needed any more trees...haha

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
All the sudden my beans are ready! Finished combine tonight and made a pass through a field, 11.2%. Will be going at it like I'm killing snakes till it's all in the bin or at the elevator!

Kanook

OK!. I realize that there is a border that separates the USA and Canada, but a lot of the northern tree species are the same....BUT...what the heck are pawpaws and Buckeys???I grew up on a farm that had about 60acres of forest (primarily sugar maple) and currently reside in a wooded area and I have never heard of PAWPAWS or BUCKEYS in my 7 decades on this marvelous planet.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Get them gathered and in the bank- :) Our neighbor is combining now- a bumper crop this year- I hope the same with you. collie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK!. I realize that there is a border that separates the USA and Canada, but a lot of the northern tree species are the same....BUT...what the heck are pawpaws and Buckeys???I grew up on a farm that had about 60acres of forest (primarily sugar maple) and currently reside in a wooded area and I have never heard of PAWPAWS or BUCKEYS in my 7 decades on this marvelous planet.
Well, buckeyes are called a worthless nut since they are poisonous to humans. My daughters make wreaths and necklaces out of them. They are also said to be good luck charms. you can carry one in your pocket and rub it with your thumb as a pacifier of sorts.

Here are a couple picks of some buckeyes. I know nothing about the paw paws. My wife recognized them, not me. Hoping Ohio paw paw grower will tell us about them.

Attachments

• buckeyes2.jpg
    buckeyes2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 115
  • buckeyes1.jpg
    buckeyes1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 118
  • buckeye_wreath.jpg
    buckeye_wreath.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 120

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Thanks Judy, today was rough no air-conditioning I was waiting on a friend all day to dhook me up with some R12. It was either too hot with the door and window shut or way too dusty with the door and window open... anyways after a couple hours me and the dog look like a couple of flocked Christmas trees I'll definitely be sleeping with my mouth open tonight! tomorrow's another day in AC is blowing cold now!

Heatwave

Doc: About those buckeyes ... Amazon Prime sells them, $4.80 for 25 "quarter size buckeyes," plus $3.99 for shipping. Your woods are a small goldmine.

My mother's childhood home was in Kansas. Pawpaws were fairly common there, as I vaguely recall. 'Course ... most of the things I remember are vague.
Thanks for the pix.

Lee1935

Well, buckeyes are called a worthless nut since they are poisonous to humans. My daughters make wreaths and necklaces out of them. They are also said to be good luck charms. you can carry one in your pocket and rub it with your thumb as a pacifier of sorts.

Here are a couple picks of some buckeyes. I know nothing about the paw paws. My wife recognized them, not me. Hoping Ohio paw paw grower will tell us about them.

As a kid old Indian lore said that the buckeye when mashed flat and dried was used for fishing. The fish are supposed to float to the top after eating some of the buckeye. Never did try it☺

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Unlike apples, pears and peaches that were brought here, pawpaws have been in North America since glacial times. They fed the Indians who in addition to eating the fruit's sweet flesh, chewed the skin of the fruit to cure constipation. The skin and seeds are a natural diuretic (if you chew it) and an emetic (if you swallow it.) Suggestion - don't eat the skin.

Another interesting fact is that pawpaw is a powerful cancer fighter. Parts of the tree are processed into capsules. You can read more about it on this youtube link. Very interesting stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8oqjAkv9E

As the Lewis and Clark expedition moved West, they wrote that the pawpaws they found along creek banks saved them from starvation at one point.

They grow as far North as Michigan, Florida to the South, Virginia to the East and Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana to the West. We also now have members of the North American Pawpaw Grower's association as far west as California, Colorado and in other countries.

They are Ohio's official state native fruit and are the only tropical fruit that grows wild in North America.

They taste like a very ripe banana and are from the custard apple family.

You can eat them right out of the skin or use the flesh in baking or cooking as a fat substitute. Use it where you might use eggs or shortening. Pawpaw is considered good fat like the avocado. They are low in calories and full of vitamins and minerals.

My family's favorites are pawpaw bread, just like banana bread, pawpaw mango salsa and pawpaw oatmeal raisin cookies.

At Ohio's Pawpaw Festival held each September (coinciding with harvest) there are vendors who make pawpaw beer, wine and everything you can think of.

The really cool thing about pawpaws is my parents and grandparents knew about them when they were younger and were pleased to see interest resurging. Oh the stories they told.

The downside is that like bananas, pawpaws have a limited shelf life. A good cold fridge can extend the life to around two weeks but any longer and you need to puree and freeze the flesh.

The seeds can and will produce new seedlings so long as they are never allowed to freeze or dry out. Storing them in moist medium like potting soil or sawdust in the bottom of the fridge at 40 degrees or lower (not allowing to freeze) will cause them to stratify and get them ready to plant in the spring.

There are five ways to produce supplemental income from pawpaws
1. Sell the seeds
2. Sell the trees
3. Sell the frozen pawpaw pulp
4. Sell scion wood (taken from trees with desirable characteristics, sweetness, disease resistance, predictable ripening month, etc)
5. Sell the fruit

We have chosen to concentrate on seedling production but do share our scion wood with the growers association. The mature trees are a beautiful pyramid shape and quite resilient after they are a few years old. Most of our trees were started in 7.5 to 8.8ph red clay soil which we have managed to bring down to about 6.5 to 7.0 through the application of organic material twice a year.

A pawpaw tree can produce fruit in 4-6 years for a native seedling. But grafting scion wood from a more vigorous or productive variety onto a seedling can accelerate that to as little as 3-4 years.

Here is a link to some other frequently asked questions. Hope this helps.

https://ohiopawpaw.com/pawpaw-faqs/

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Whitetail deer appear to be in rut in Southeastern Ohio. Multiple scrapes on our place and deer cams show the bucks are not running together any longer. Same at my Uncle's place in Harrisonville and in Mineral Ohio off route 50 not far from Albany.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Good report Paw Paw! early rut here south of cbus. some scrapes 3 different bucks on camera and almost hit a buck with my truck last night!
Good luck everybody!

mrblanche

I had heard of pawpaws, but didn't have any experience with them. We DID have some persimmon trees in our yard just south of Fort Worth when I was in college, and I liked them. Haven't seen any in years, and, of course, so far as I know you can't buy them much of anywhere. In looking it up just now, I see there is a Texas native persimmon. Persimmons

thcri RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten

Nice work Doc! Or should I say girls? I really like the wreaths.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
We DID have some persimmon trees in our yard just south of Fort Worth when I was in college, and I liked them. Haven't seen any in years, and, of course, so far as I know you can't buy them much of anywhere. In looking it up just now, I see there is a Texas native persimmon. Persimmons
Occasionally people here (Northern California) grow Persimmons, traditionally Hachiyas. More recently Fuyu have become popular. Dad or my grandfather planted two Hachiya trees here years ago and the production is more than I can use or give away. Some years I've taken trailer loads to the local Food Closet for the homeless. One year I sold a half ton to a fruit stand. My wife said she sees them for a dollar each in the supermarket and I see an ad on Craigslist presently @ 40 cents each.

Some photos that I've posted here in the past:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Persimmon tree near the house
attachment.php

And the one down in back
attachment.php

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Went for a ride on back roads with two of our grand kids (Olivia and Chase). Saw 4 deer and a whole lot of beautiful fall colors. Temps in the mid 70's. Perfect day for a ride.

Attachments

• RTVrideWithChaseAndOlivia.jpg
    RTVrideWithChaseAndOlivia.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.