Utility Wagon/Trailer

pop58

Looking to get something to pull behind my RTV to assist in hauling more wood to my wood shed from the woods.

Thinking close to a 4X6 foot wagon or trailer two axle. What do you think.

Can't seem to find much on this doing a search.

Do any of you have or would suggest one that works good for this purpose?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pop - can you tell us a ballpark of where you live (e.g. State) or what kind of terrain you're driving in?

Do you have a budget in mind?

I have seven "woods" trailers. I'll see if I can give some good and bad of each. Just snapped a couple pics to give you an idea.

The first is a 4x6' heavy duty, tandem axle with manual tilt. Heavy duty and is my "go to" trailer for wood in the winter. Main reason is because of its wide tires and weight (not necessarily volume) capacity. The only bad part is its tare weight so it's not the lightest to pull in hilly terrain.

Attachments

• CIMG9867.jpg
    CIMG9867.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 166

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The next is a 4x8' that has a homemade bed and short sides sitting on double axle.

Great on volume. Tandem axle is great and is second mainly because the tires are thinner and under full load can put ruts into a soft yard.

Attachments

• CIMG9866.jpg
    CIMG9866.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 161

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A few more sitting off in the distance.

From left-to-right.
Left: Another 4x8' on single axle. Home made but sitting on single axle, it's no good for heavy loads or soft ground.

Center: A steel bed 5x6'. The steel bed is great. Heavier tires and suspension so it can hold a lot of weight. Again, its bad part is single axle on soft ground.

Right: A 5x6 Tractor Supply trailer. It has the steel mesh floor which doesn't like impacts of logs being tossed on it. Has been a great trailer once I put a wood floor over the mesh and some wood sides up to the height of the angle iron.

Attachments

• CIMG9868.jpg
    CIMG9868.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 167

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a couple of these. They're not bad if you line the inside floor and sides with wood so it can withstand the impacts. They're only good if you never have to back up. I have the single axle version as well with the same wood lining but don't use it for wood since I have all the others. Used sometimes for hauling yard tools or keeping all the garden tools in one spot during the planting season.

250457_400x400.jpg

Mark.Sibole

I use a 8x16 tandem axle and a single axle 4x6 I prefer the 4x6 single axle as its easier to move around.It has a standard 13 inch tire on it and have had no problems.For the big loads if im in an area that I can get around in the tandom axle is fine.It all depends on your terrain also.But i think a standard 4x6 will meet your needs single or dual axle.I dont think youlll over load the single axle with wood .Your not going down the highway with it so it should be plenty as i have found

pop58

Thank you for the reply's and the pics.

I live in the lower part of Michigan around the Jackson area. I will be driving over sandy stuff mostly.

zoom, your firs pic looks like one I saw from countrymfg.com and looks like about what im looking for. When filled with wood dose your machine have any trouble pulling it?

Mark, the 8X16 would be way to big for my RTV to pull around the woods. I use one that size when going to someone else place to get wood.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I live in the lower part of Michigan around the Jackson area. I will be driving over sandy stuff mostly.

zoom, your firs pic looks like one I saw from countrymfg.com and looks like about what im looking for. When filled with wood dose your machine have any trouble pulling it?
So you don't have any hills but lots of sand. I'd say floatation is going to be key for you.

My trailer does look A LOT like the countrymfg version and it may well be who made mine but mine is nearly 20 years old so there is some differences. Mine is smaller than the 7' they have listed, doesn't have wheel bearings nor the drop tongue. I don't like pin connects so I put a coupler on it. Outside of a paint job at 15 years and the dry-rot on the OEM tires, it's worked flawlessly.

Mark.Sibole

Ya the 8x16 can be a bit hard to get through trails.Im up here in the Traverse city area.The 4x6 with the 13 inch tires works fine in the woods and in the loose sand for me.A wider tire would be nice in the real loose stuff but i try to stay away from that.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you need to go on sand or wet ground, then dual axles and wide tires like Zooms are ideal.

We don't need to get out in the orchard after the rainy season arrives. My main trailer use is hauling tree props, and then ladders etc for harvest season. Plus watering new trees. So I'm getting by with a couple of inexpensive utility trailers.

First is a 4x8, 2100 lb GVW from Home Depot. It has an extendable tongue and the axle can be mounted centered or toward the rear. The front and rear panels attach with pins that slope toward the chassis at 45 degrees, so the panels can be inverted and mounted horizontal to extend the deck to about 12 ft. I've carried a 16 ft roll of carpet with minimal rear overhang.

It's light enough to position by hand on sloping ground (when empty) and just the right size to pull with the little 18 hp tractor.

Of course its also fine for highway use.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The second trailer is a little Harbor Freight 40 x 48. A 300 gallon IBC tote fits it perfectly. I set this up for watering new trees. 2600 lbs on a 900 lb rated chassis is a little hard on it, I bent the tongue while backing uphill on fluffy disced ground. After reinforcing the tongue it's held up two years with no further issues. I bought this trailer used for $30, assuming this abuse will trash it sooner or later - but the trees will be established by then.

I have a twin to this one that I bought new. I put 24 inch sides on that one for a camping 'jeep trailer'. It's light enough to turn around by hand, loaded, if I get down to a treacherous spot down by the river that's impossible to back out of.

attachment.php

PIC00516ClaimDriveway99.jpg

Last edited:

Mark.Sibole

As you can see their are many different kinds of trailers available.NOw its time to pick one.I went for the 2 that gave me the most year around use.Im a perfact world I would have built one and added ATV tires on it but didnt have the funds for the wheels or tires.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Out of all the trailers we have,
......... the most used trailer with the RTV is the single axle, five X ten with gate.
We use it for everything ........

.......... two guns

pop58

I do have a few hills but nothing major. I think your right zoom, floatation is going to be key.

Good looking trailer California, never seen that one at Home Depot.

Got three trailers now Mark just not one for hauling wood out of the woods that I can beat up on. Not yet that is.

What size tires you got on that 5 x 10 Two Guns?

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
I use a homemade single axle 5 x 10. It's downfall somewhat is the mobile home axle with the 14.5" rims. I normally just buy used tires and rims.

One piece of advice is to go six foot wide if it doesn't present issue due to the extended width. The beauty of a six foot wide trailer is that the RTV will fit on it, of course, it must have the capacity to hall the RTV. That 59.5" wide RTV is really hard to place inside a 60" wide trailer.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Out of all the trailers we have,
......... the most used trailer with the RTV is the single axle, five X ten with gate.
We use it for everything ........

MISTAKE * MISTAKE * MISTAKE ......

The trailer most used is a 6X10 ....
(didn't realize what I said until I read Pop's reply)
Tire size on this trailer is 15/205/75R -
Steel Bottom

Fold-Up Steel Gate/Ramp

*** Never put the RTV on this trailer. But if so, think I would have to
remove the back gate for with trailer hitches and winches in the front.
Think it would hit or might rubb ....

......... two guns

Attachments

• Mona Lisa Smile.jpg
    Mona Lisa Smile.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 132

pop58

Got one for hauling the RTV pepr so only need it for wood hauling.

Them ATV Wagons are real nice Baijiu but the price is way up there. But you never know.

I don't really need it to dump.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Got one for hauling the RTV pepr so only need it for wood hauling.

Them ATV Wagons are real nice Baijiu but the price is way up there. But you never know.

I don't really need it to dump.

Have you got access to welding machine and torches ?
Trailer Axles from trailer dealers run in the our area of 60.00
with tires. That's a start !!!!
Little Iron
Little Cut here and there
Little Welding .....
Add coupling from Harbor Frieght .....
............................... and
WHOOSH

Got Wood Trailer !!!

Attachments

• buzzard spooked.gif
    buzzard spooked.gif
    16.1 KB · Views: 123

pop58

I have a wire welder and a set of torches so that's always a possibility.

How much do you think these RTV's can handle? I know what the book says but do we really follow that.lol

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How much do you think these RTV's can handle? I know what the book says but do we really follow that.lol
I haven't found the limit but I don't go looking for it. I'm in hilly terrain so safety is my concern. A trailer in tow coming down a hill can get hairy if/when you hit some loose ground. The trailer will start pushing you.

Another thought on a trailer for hauling wood. IMHO, the best ones have nothing protruding out beyond the sides of the bed. Basically tires go underneath. Anything that sticks out is seen by trees and your shins and both will whack into the protrusion. If you do get something with fenders or lights out the sides, I'd unbolt/remove them.