Using ym240 stop valve

jbrd

To move my ym240 with my bearcat 554 chipper attatched I've been closing the stop valve to keep it from drifting down while driving. Am I doing damage to the tractor doing this? The book says not to move implements with the valve closed. I'm going to try adjusting the spring on the control handle again today, but previous attempts didn't hold for long. This is an old 240 #00202 & I haven't taken the valve assembly apart, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks, jbrd

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I doubt you hurt anything, if everything seems to work properly.

I was advised when I bought a heavy 3-point backhoe that keeping that 'service valve' open protects against ripping the back out of the transmission (or even breaking the tractor in half) when driving too fast on rough ground, since on a bad bump the hydraulic pressure surge would be dissipated through the pressure relief valve.

I've made every dumb-beginner mistake on my elderly YM240 over the past seven years. The only thing that ever broke was the 75 cent rollpin that prevents the gearshift lever from revolving. That particular model of tractor is near indestructible.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I would like to know more about that chipper. Could you start a thread describing it and maybe include some photos?

jbrd

Thanks California, Here are some pictures. The weight for the front end is a section of an old dock bumper with the4" channel boxed in with concrete inside, plus the two blocks filled, that is the right weight to keep the front end on the ground with the chipper on it. The picture with the chipper elevated is the height I feel comfortable with when moving it. The Kubota b7800 was my retirement gift to myself. These two have saved me alot of work.

jbrd

I thought I knew how to send the pictures, but I don't have a handle on it. I'll keep working on it. Any Hints? Thanks

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's a recent thread on uploading pictures. Search on 'upload' for more threads with broader explanations, if needed.

In summary: When writing a post, click on the paperclip icon above the text box to get the photo upload screen.

Use the Browse you see there, to identify pix on your pc that you wish to post. Note maximum filesizes allowed. (listed in that upload screen).

To reference and include photos that are hosted elsewhere, use the Insert Image (yellow mountain) icon above the text box.

shvl73

I believe that is the same as my Woods chipper. I'd also be interested to see pics. Do you have the discharge chute? I wish I did. Still, it is a nice upgrade from my old W.W. Grinder Super Apache.

jbrd

using ym240 stop valve

No I don't have the discharge chute, it's a little inconvenient, but it does a good job for me. I have taken some pictures, and I'm having difficulty posting them. Every time I try to upload a picture it comes back that it failed. I emailed the administrator about this, but haven't heard back. I envy you guys that are good at computer stuff, any help would be greatly appreciated.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Make sure they are small enough to post. The limit (I think) is about 200 kb or 600X800

jbrd

Thanks for the reply. One of the times the file failed it mentioned a security problem. The other times the file failed regardless of how many pictures I tried to upload. The pictures went through okay on Tractor by net. It's operator error I'm sure.