Don't Shoot!!! I've gone to the dark side.

htr4

Someone offered me some decent money for my trusty old RTV and I took it. :bonk: I started searching and wound up with a newer gator diesel. I had an old 6x4 before the RTV and it was a great machine, so I figured I'd try it again. I wouldn't have bought it if the deal wasn't right...but I wound up with a machine that looks and runs great with extra money in my pocket in the end. I'm still here for my .02, so don't count me out yet. I still buy and sell the orange ones when I can find them, just don't have one in my own stable. I'll still help when I can! Here's my new machine. 850d, winch, cab, plow, electric bed, 400hrs etc.... I very much appreciate all of the help everyone here is, you all have no idea how much it helps! Keep up the good work!

image3.jpg
image5.jpg
IMG_1530.JPG
:letitsnow:

shinnery

Looks pretty good. I've got a couple of Deere projects also, but mine are yellar and got Detroit Diesel 2-53s in them (440ICD/821 loader).
Bryce

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
htr4

We won't kick you to the curb. lol You can be a field tester for the J-D and do a side by side (sorry for the pun) of your past experience with the RTV. Give us the good, bad and ugly of both machines.

Is the J-D a hydo drive or a belt drive?

What year J-D do you have now? It looks in great shape.

How do you shift from forward to reverse on the J-D. Foot shift pedals or a dash mounted shift handle?

Top speed on the J-D?

What is the capacity (pounds) of the bed?

Good luck with your new machine.

cpsseals

Nice buggy, I like it but I'm not "green with envy" yet. I, like Shinnery, have my JD product in construction yellow.
Interested to know how the JD diesel compares in fuel consumption, dependability, speed and all around usefulness. I seriously considered this same model but after comparing standard options on the RTV 1100 and the cost of adding similar items to the JD, the Kubota was the clear better bang for the buck.
Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ditto what cpsseals and Keifer said. Please give us the gory details. Sure don't blame ya for the switch. If the deal was right many would do the same. Congrats. Nice looking machine.

htr4

Thank you all for the responses, I'll try to get a down and dirty together on it as soon as I get to rack up some hours. So far, I'm liking it. Here's what I see so far.

The ride is 10x better than the kubota through the fields, without a doubt. You barely feel anything with the IFS and IRS on it. I am going to miss the power steering, without a doubt, but it just takes some getting used to. It's not like driving a truck without power steering, it's still relatively easy.

The JD is a belt CVT system, which has it's ups and downs. The machine is noticeably faster and requires re-learning how to drive after having the kubota. There is no feathering the go pedal to make things smooth...it's "mat it and go." I was surprised to see how big the frame is on these, much larger than my 6x4 and looks to rival the 900 as well. I'll try and get some pics under it later today.

Forward H&L, and reverse is a shifter sticking out of the center console, next to your right leg. There's also a diff lock lever there as well. Very easy to get to, no difficult shifting at all. They claim top speed is 30, but I GPS'd mine at 32 and would assume some 28" tires would put you in the mid 30's range. It's got stock 25's on it now. It FEELS much faster than the RTV even thought it's only a few MPH. Take off is fast and will spin the tires in HI and Low. If I hook it to a good heavy trailer, it will turn all 4 tires over if I try.

Turning is MUCH tighter than the RTV...no 3 pt turns anymore. Turns like an old 3 wheel ezgo golf cart.

It's got a 1400# Payload capacity on it. I loaded up a bed full of gravel and it had no problems bounding through the yard. The electric/hydro bed setup is nice, but the Kubota hydro bed was faster. It doesn't struggle dumping anything you can throw at it. I think the bed may be a hair smaller than the RTV, but I'm not positive. Seems not as deep.

The engine fires right up when it's cold. There's a wait to start light as opposed to turning the key a little to heat up the glow plugs...kinda nice, but doesn't make much difference either way. Same setup as my truck.

I like the bucket seats, very comfortable...but not handy for people that want to cram 3 people in. The interior is very well laid out, looks good, and everything seems to be in a place where you can reach it - much the same as the kubota. What I don't like about the interior is it's riddled with idiot lights instead of actual gauges...which will be fixed. I like knowing what my engine is doing before it decides to blow up!

The 4x4 setup is really nice with the switch on the dash, but time will tell if it'll hold up. Never had problems with deere's before, shouldn't with this one.

The little Yanmar 3TNE70 25hp diesel seems to be a great little engine, my last gator had 6800HRS on it when I sold it, this one should be the same. It doesn't have any blow-by or goofy noises and starts right off. I think it may be a little noisier than the RTV...but some of that could be that I'm sitting inside the reverberation box called a cab. I didn't have one on my RTV, so I can't really tell the difference. The machine doesn't rattle or pop anywhere, which is very nice...seems like a well built little tank.

All in all, I like it.. I was looking for something that had some "play" in it but could still be used as a workhorse around the house. It seems to fit the bill. I'll keep you all updated as we go. I loved my Kubota, but the deal was right...

htr4

Oh, and I forgot it's a 2008.

CPSSEALS: I agree, the 1100 is the stronger machine, but would you pass on this at under 6k? I looked for an 1100, hard to find one under 10k. That's a tough one to convince the other half of. Lol

htr4

Some more things I've noticed:

Being used to the RTV, the first few times I drove this I about ran into things, because you HAVE to use the brakes. LOL. I still find myself waiting until the last minute. One of these days the winch will be buried in the truck or something. I love the storage, one thing I missed in the 900. It's got an open glovebox with plenty of space and a tray with cubbies under the hood. I wish it had some under the seats, but we can't win em all!

Also, The air cleaner is low on this one too - under the passenger seat, which I suspect is making my cab somewhat louder...some PVC will fix that problem. At least it's not in front of the wheel where the Bota's was...damn thing was always dirty.

The cupholders are just OK. The RTV had my "pop" right up front where it belonged...this one is in the floor. They work great, just not the right spot.

Another thoughtful thing they did was the flip over windshield, which is only at the bottom. If it's too hot, flip it up - too cold, back down. Some rubber grommets and metal nubs hold it in place either way. Similar to the RTV flip out setup, but gives you more air.

Ok, some pics of controls, frame, etc...

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7-1.jpeg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like you got a good deal on the Deere. Thanks for the comparison. Great to know what the RTV competition has to offer.