Trouble in keeping running in cold

JP1100

My 2011 1100 had trouble keeping it started in the cold. It starts, but after about a minute, it stalls, I can start it up again, but it only stalls again. I keep it in the barn in upstate NY, the temps have been -10 to -15 the past few days. I did not have it plugged in, but have additive (power services) in the diesel. It did this last year as we'll. the fuel seems fine, but I did not change the filter, any thoughts would be appreciated. I did plug it in for about 15 minutes today when this happened to try to get it back in the barn, but it did not help, I didn't have time to keep it plugged in longer.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I would change the air filter inner element and the outer then change the fuel filter. then i would try a different anti gel agent. when you change the fuel filter put some anti gel in the filter before you install.

JP1100

Thanks for the suggestions, I did plan on changing the fuel filer this time, any recommendations on better additive?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
actually power service is pretty good stuff. is the additive you are using a fresh container or left over from last year? on the label of power service there is directions for clearing the filter with 9 1 1. you might need more additive in your climate to make it work.

rapracing

If it's jelling I'd try power services 911. Worked for me in my truck last year. Took about an hour but then all was fine

Mark.Sibole

power ervices is real good and have had no issues here in 20 below temps.Check your air filter.Also idle may be turned down a bit to far.Someplace on here is a thread on idle.Check the search feature ans search for idle.

htr4

Personally, I run Stanadyne. Recently they started selling the stuff in Autozone but I buy it online. I like it as a treatment because it's a Demulsifier, which means it separates the water particles from the fuel so the water fuel separator can do it's job. Power service, which took me a year to get a straight answer from is an Emulsifier, which basically breaks up the water into tiny particles so they can be run through with the fuel. Both work ok, but for me...I'd rather have the water actually taken out of my fuel and not run through my injectors. I did a bunch of research on the stuff when I lived up north and was getting crappy fuel in my Duramax and having problems. Stanadyne gave me a big help with my problems and worked 10x better than any of the other ones.

I don't want to start an additive war here - just letting you know my experiences. Power Service has been around a long, long time and I have nothing but respect for that...it just didn't work for me. :)

With that said...if you're gelled up already, Power Service 911 works great. Don't use it all of the time though, it's loaded with a TON of alcohol that can eat seals in your injection pump. It's great in a pinch, and does work...but is not to be used as a permanent treatment.

Just my .02. :)

htr4

Also...plugging your unit in will not help with frozen, gelled, or waxed fuel. That just keeps the coolant, block, and oil warm. There isn't a fuel heater in these. Quality of fuel is very important, and we keep getting the short end of the stick from distributors. If you're freezing up at -10, it's time to start looking into another gas station and getting a good quality additive.

I would start looking at the fuel filter that you said you didn't change. They can form wax crystals that are easy to miss at first and basically block off fuel flow to your pump...Not a big deal, but it will drive you crazy trying to figure out what's going on! Take it out, replace with new and run it. Or find a garage and let it thaw out a little. -10 to -20 is pretty chilly!!

dan900

How old is your fuel? It's my understanding that the blends sold in the winter are different than those sold in the hotter months. The summer blends can cause what you are describing when used in the colder temps. It will form a wax or gel and will plug filters and not flow through the fuel system. Those additives noted above can help resolve this.

With diesel, buy clean fuel and keep it clean. I filter mine every time I transfer it. I too use an additive--especially in the winter.

Just MHO.

Kanook

Waxing...Geling...or Icing..odds are one of the three has clogged up your fuel filter...I've had experience in the past of water trapped in the filter and freezing and choking off the flow of fuel flow and it wasn't very cold (like +25f). HTR4, mark,dan and all has some good info above..Swap out the fuel filter.

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
another alternative we have not discussed is to simply warm up the fuel. maybe put a heat lamp under the fuel tank for a few hours to raise the temp enough for the wax to go back into suspension. it has been my experience at much lower temps than yours that once diesel gels it won't completely un gel until the temp of the fuel gets warm

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Good heater to warm the fuel and filter. Dump some kerosene in it to lower the gel point. I dump kero in all my diesels every winter and my fuel is already winter blend which has kero mixed from the dealer. Never had a gel problem on my own stuff but have thawed out a ton of others.

Mark.Sibole

if you try the heater by the tank just make sure you use a low heat and a slow heat of condensation will get you later.I put mine in the garage the past few nights as its been getting well below zero.For me at least the garage is a lot warmer than a barn as mine is below the house more like a basement.It only gets down to 15 or 20 degrees being below ground.Winter is tough on diesels there is no bout about that.But you cant beat the power of a diesel or the dependability od a diesel.

JP1100

Thanks all for the reply and great suggestions, I have a bulk diesel tank with 250 gallons of farm diesel, my other equipment is all running without any problems and I have not done anything different. Just got back from the Kubota dealer with new filters, I plan on changing it tonight.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry, fingers frozen to keyboard. BRRRRRRRR ! minus 20 degrees here this evening. And thats without adding in any wind chill factor. Stay warm my friends.
Keifer

JP1100

Changed the fuel filter last night and it worked great, after a few minutes of cranking it turned over and ran great, was able to plow for hours without any problems, Thanks again to everyone!

htr4

Congrats! Glad it worked. Amazing how a plugged filter can goof everything up. Glad you're back up and running. Plow on! :)