How big is yours?

Junk - Ask him about his modem at the house! :yum: :yum: :yum:

Dougster :starbucks:

Well, Dougster, You have to realize, I just recently gave up on my Windows 95 when it became incompatable with my ISP/DSL service. I almost cried that night. Almost as hard to take as when I had to forsake my dial up service. :yum:

XP Pro now.

All this newfangled stuff is not easy for some of us to absorb. :rolleyes:

Dougster

Old Member
Well, Dougster, You have to realize, I just recently gave up on my Windows 95 when it became incompatable with my ISP/DSL service. I almost cried that night. Almost as hard to take as when I had to forsake my dial up service. :yum:

XP Pro now.

All this newfangled stuff is not easy for some of us to absorb. :rolleyes:
Oh please Junk!!! You are a rich, intelligent man. While it may be fun to live in the past with your classic® and antique® tractors, the same does not apply to computer operating systems! :D XP is a fine operating system. Vista too as long as you buy the right computer and don't mind a few bugs & incompatibilities with an existing XP network. Say what you will about old Bill Gates and Microsoft... Windows might not be perfect, but it is still the de facto standard of the world for PC's.

Oh please Junk!!! You are a rich, intelligent man. While it may be fun to live in the past with your classic® and antique® tractors, the same does not apply to computer operating systems! :D XP is a fine operating system. Vista too as long as you buy the right computer and don't mind a few bugs & incompatibilities with an existing XP network. Say what you will about old Bill Gates and Microsoft... Windows might not be perfect, but it is still the de facto standard of the world for PC's.

Uh, Dear Dougster,:pat:

I do believe I'm going to soon install an automatic SARCASM Indicator for ya.:wave:

Dougster

Old Member
Uh, Dear Dougster,:pat: I do believe I'm going to soon install an automatic SARCASM Indicator for ya.:wave:
The old Dougster was making a perfectly valid point: Classics® and antiques® are perfectly fine in some areas and endeavors (as you have proven with your tractors), but not in computing. In computing, bigger, faster, newer and more powerful will generally win the day! Yes, there will always be a few bugs in a brand new operating system, but that is no excuse for a wealthy man like the Junk to be using Windows 95 in the 21st century!!! :)

The old Dougster was making a perfectly valid point: Classics® and antiques® are perfectly fine in some areas and endeavors (as you have proven with your tractors), but not in computing. In computing, bigger, faster, newer and more powerful will generally win the day! Yes, there will always be a few bugs in a brand new operating system, but that is no excuse for a wealthy man like the Junk to be using Windows 95 in the 21st century!!! :)

I believe you completely MISSED my "perfectly valid point". (ie, SARCASM indicator)

Dougster

Old Member
I believe you completely MISSED my "perfectly valid point". (ie, SARCASM indicator)
Opps! :sorry: In other words, you weren't still using Windows 95. :rolleyes: Okay...

You need to realize Junk that as part of the Dougster International Industries Empire, I repair computers for part of my living, such as it is. Been doing it for 14 years now and am very good at it. I have seen and heard every conceivable computer situation in the book... including folks still trying to run antique operating systems on old computers stretched to (and beyond) the absolute max. Some folks... often wealthy, intelligent folks... simply will not replace a computer that still starts up and runs no matter the logic of replacing it with a superior machine.

So I apologize for taking you seriously, but if I assumed it was a joke and laughed out loud at every person calling me who tells me they are still running Windows 95, 98, 98SE or ME... I'd be insulting an awful lot of very nice people... and potential future customers too. :eek:

And just remember Junk... you ARE the undisputed King of employing classic® and antique® machinery. ;)

Opps! :sorry: In other words, you weren't still using Windows 95. :rolleyes: Okay...

You need to realize Junk that as part of the Dougster International Industries Empire, I repair computers for part of my living, such as it is. Been doing it for 14 years now and am very good at it. I have seen and heard every conceivable computer situation in the book... including folks still trying to run antique operating systems on old computers stretched to (and beyond) the absolute max. Some folks... often wealthy, intelligent folks... simply will not replace a computer that still starts up and runs no matter the logic of replacing it with a superior machine.

So I apologize for taking you seriously, but if I assumed it was a joke and laughed out loud at every person calling me who tells me they are still running Windows 95, 98, 98SE or ME... I'd be insulting an awful lot of very nice people... and potential future customers too. :eek:

And just remember Junk... you ARE the undisputed King of employing classic® and antique® machinery. ;)

:pat: , OK, One more time from the top.

I WAS using 95 on an old computer at home. (Actually in my shop) It was so old/so small, anything newer than 95 bogged it down. It was fine for strictly internet cruising, even on the dial up connection I did have. But all in all, it wasn't quite what I was used to. I HAD 2000 at work until we got XP PRO a while back. Then, 2 years ago, we were FINALLY able to get DSL service here. When I had the time, I bought (A) a new computer and (B) had XP Pro installed.

NOW I have MUCH better computer, DSL service, and XP Pro.

The SARCASTIC remarks about Windows95/dial up were in reference to the fact I was about 3 or 4 operating systems behind the times BEFORE I made the switch at home.

Strange as it may sound, there are features of the old 95 I actually missed for a while. :respect:

For use primarily as a web surfer, any computer you're used to is often "good enough".

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Mine is a Dell laptop, 17 inch, at home - and a Lenovo 14 incher for work. Actually, though, I still miss the Apple IIGS and before that all the Burroughs Mediums I used to work on.

Fred

Home is where the bus is....

Oh and by the way - I might be a Junior member, but like FWJ am still older 'n the Old Member!!

Dougster

Old Member
The SARCASTIC remarks about Windows95/dial up were in reference to the fact I was about 3 or 4 operating systems behind the times BEFORE I made the switch at home.
When you are old, cold, malnourished and half-senile like the poor old Dougster, sometimes you've got to explain something 5 or 6 times before the sarcasm becomes readily apparent. :( You did really well with a mere 3 tries. :eek:

Seems it may be time for a late afternoon Starbucks :starbucks: Coffee run. :rolleyes:

Dougster

Old Member
Oh and by the way - I might be a Junior member, but like FWJ am still older 'n the Old Member!!
Now let's be clear here Fred: You are a nice guy for sure... but you are still a mere JUNIOR MEMBER. That's kinda like being a child... a youngster... a young upstart. On the other hand, I (and only I) am NTT's one and only official OLD MEMBER... a mark of great dignity, wisdom, knowledge and importance... and dare I say even REVERENCE!!! :cool:

Actual chronological age matters little in this regard. So I will thank you to stop pointing out that others (including yourself and the Junk) may have a few days, weeks or even months on me. In the end, there can be only one official OLD MEMBER... a man of great depth, experience, worldliness, complexity, judgement, insight, truth and inner peace gathered and nurtured throughout his many years on this earth... and that crazy old man is MOI!!! :D

And don't you (or Junk) ever forget it!!! :yum:

Now let's be clear here Fred: You are a nice guy for sure... but you are still a mere JUNIOR MEMBER. That's kinda like being a child... a youngster... a young upstart. On the other hand, I (and only I) am NTT's one and only official OLD MEMBER... a mark of great dignity, wisdom, knowledge and importance... and dare I say even REVERENCE!!! :cool:

Actual chronological age matters little in this regard. So I will thank you to stop pointing out that others (including yourself and the Junk) may have a few days, weeks or even months on me. In the end, there can be only one official OLD MEMBER... a man of great depth, experience, worldliness, complexity, judgement, insight, truth and inner peace gathered and nurtured throughout his many years on this earth... and that crazy old man is MOI!!! :D

Oh my this thread is gettin really deep. I think I had better go grab my waders. :yum: :yum:

Ed

irwin

Oh my this thread is gettin really deep. I think I had better go grab my waders. :yum: :yum:

Ed

Yeah Ed, my hyperbole alarm is so strong it hurts.:bangin: :lam:

Hyperbole is a figure of speech that uses an exaggerated or extravagant statement to create a strong emotional response. As a figure of speech it is not intended to be taken literally. Hyperbole is frequently used for humour. Examples of hyperbole are:
  • They ran like greased lightning.
  • He's got tons of money.
  • Her brain is the size of a pea.
  • He is older than the hills.
  • I will die if she asks me to dance.
  • She is as big as an elephant!
  • I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.
  • I have told you a million times not to lie!
And last but never least....
I (and only I) am NTT's one and only official OLD MEMBER... a mark of great dignity, wisdom, knowledge and importance... and dare I say even REVERENCE!!! :cool:

Hyperbole is a figure of speech that uses an exaggerated or extravagant statement to create a strong emotional response. As a figure of speech it is not intended to be taken literally. Hyperbole is frequently used for humour. Examples of hyperbole are:
  • They ran like greased lightning.
  • He's got tons of money.
  • Her brain is the size of a pea.
  • He is older than the hills.
  • I will die if she asks me to dance.
  • She is as big as an elephant!
  • I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.
  • I have told you a million times not to lie!
And last but never least....

Tim
You have hit the nail on the head. :yum: :yum:

Forget what? I'm OLD. Memory is the first thing to go. I can't recall what is second:pat:

Dougster

Old Member
Oh my this thread is gettin really deep. I think I had better go grab my waders. :yum:

Hyperbole is a figure of speech that uses an exaggerated or extravagant statement to create a strong emotional response. As a figure of speech it is not intended to be taken literally. Hyperbole is frequently used for humour.
Tim You have hit the nail on the head. :yum:
Nobody has hit anything on the head! ;) You guys are simply envious! :yum:

Envy is a [SIZE=-1]feeling of grudging admiration and desire to have something that is possessed by another; feel envious towards; admire enviously; spite and resentment at seeing the success of another (personified as one of the deadly sins) be envious of; set one's heart on.[/SIZE]

I rest my case! :thumb:

Envy is a [SIZE=-1]feeling of grudging admiration and desire to have something that is possessed by another; feel envious towards; admire enviously; spite and resentment at seeing the success of another (personified as one of the deadly sins) be envious of; set one's heart on.[/SIZE]

Oh please this is starting to sound like self gratification to me. I don't think I need Daniel Webster to explain this to ya do I. :yum: :starbucks:

Ed

Dougster

Old Member
Forget what? I'm OLD. Memory is the first thing to go. I can't recall what is second :pat:
Oh please this is starting to sound like self gratification to me. I don't think I need Daniel Webster to explain this to ya do I. :yum: :starbucks:
It must be tough deep down inside realizing that neither of you guys will ever hold that very special status of being NTT's one and only official OLD MEMBER. :D Sorry guys... but there can only be one! :thumb:

It must be tough deep down inside realizing that neither of you guys will ever hold that very special status of being NTT's one and only official OLD MEMBER. :D Sorry guys... but there can only be one! :thumb:

You arre going to make me go back and find that post where you whined to Doc about being the new guy again. Remember that's wher Doc felt sorry for you and bestowed the title of Old Member. It had nothing to do with knowledge or any of that other stuff. Doc just wanted to shut you up, instead he created a monster. :bangin::poke:

Oh yea shouldn't the Old guy be getting a little sleep. It is snowing out and you want to be fresh when you have to go out and push some snow around. :starbucks:

Ed

irwin

I rest my case! :thumb:

I'll admit to being a little envious of anyone able to get out of bed tomorrow and go outside in a teeshirt, then get on their tractor and dig in ground that isn't frozen or muddy.......as far as envy as it relates to you Doug, well let's see how well you make a go of these two entrepreneurial businesses. :bb: :poke:

I can admit I'm rooting for ya.:wave:

Dougster

Old Member
You arre going to make me go back and find that post where you whined to Doc about being the new guy again. Remember that's wher Doc felt sorry for you and bestowed the title of Old Member. It had nothing to do with knowledge or any of that other stuff. Doc just wanted to shut you up, instead he created a monster. :bangin::poke:
I don't remember any of that stuff. In fact, didn't we recently prove that entire story of yours is a myth and you made it all up! :thumb:
Oh yea shouldn't the Old guy be getting a little sleep. It is snowing out and you want to be fresh when you have to go out and push some snow around. :starbucks:
Oh, I'll be ready. You can bet your life on that! If there is an honest dollar to be made tonight or tomorrow morning, while you sleep, the old Dougster will be out there plowing his little heart out! :thumb:
I'll admit to being a little envious of anyone able to get out of bed tomorrow and go outside in a teeshirt, then get on their tractor and dig in ground that isn't frozen or muddy.......as far as envy as it relates to you Doug, well let's see how well you make a go of these two entrepreneurial businesses. :bb: :poke: I can admit I'm rooting for ya.:wave:
Well, thank you Tim! At least someone is behind the old Dougster's early retirement survival plan! :tiphat: