Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you California. I sure wish I could send some of it your way. :) . I could never smoke brisket until I did it this like this.
I should clarify that the cooler it was put in was only to trap the heat and provide a slow way to cool down and did not have any ice in it. - The brisket was almost too hot to touch after nearly 2 hrs in it. A old towel helps keep the heat loss slowed down and use a pan underneath to save work when it was time to clean the cooler. This slow cool down is really important to tenderizing the meat they say.

tfdr1

Looks good! I did a 10lb one last week at 225 for about 18ish hours. I don't wrap mine at the stall, I just wait it out. Mine started to fall apart when I took it off the smoker.

Dave

Attachments

• 20190528_104719.jpg
    20190528_104719.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190528_061429.jpg
    20190528_061429.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 108

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That looks fantastic tfdr1 . :) Did you use a pellet grill and if so, what pellets are your favorite? Now , after seeing your picture , My stomach has started growling. :)
I think nothing beats a stick burner for flavor , but for convenience with still good flavor, a pellet smoker is great. That's me saying that just because I can remember back when I was young, going to a "coushon de lait" in Marksville LA . There were fire pits everywhere all over the town with pigs in wire mesh hung over them, being flipped over every so often. I'll never forget that delicious smell and merriment. .

tfdr1

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain which burns charcoal and you use wood chunks for smoke. I think I used hickory and cherry on this brisket.

Attachments

• 20190413_125720.jpg
    20190413_125720.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 107

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Those are great smokers!
My nephew in law ( in air force in Kansas) came home to Ms for Thanksgiving and I offered my WSM to him and my niece.( It was almost new) His eyes got big and you should have seen that little Honda Accord Coupe packed with a fat cat, litter box, a golden retriever all their clothes and the Webber Smokey Mtn. I don't think it was an inch of room left. :)
I didn't have the controller like I see on yours. those are also great from what I hear. Thank you for your post !

tfdr1

The controller is great, it allows me to actually sleep on overnight cooks instead of obsessing over temps. It's a Flame Boss 300 and worth every penny.

Dave

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you BobK . I'll be sure to try them next time I order pellets. I love bbq so sure go thru pellets !
That controller is awesome TFDR1- but the nephew in law may have to buy that gem himself- with a little help from me . :) collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Unusual Weather- Cloud Picture

This is the second storm in as many days. I was working on the fence and heard it coming. - Blinding rain and a fast mover that produced a tornado 30 miles from here.

Attachments

• KIMG0161.jpg
    KIMG0161.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 87

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you California. :) It's what we call the back pasture. The cows are resting under trees to the left of the picture but out of view. My Bil has put much of the land into a program so that it can never be sold for other than agricultural purposes. His intent is to keep it in the family and safe from development or future in-laws wanting to split it up..
To the extreme left 2000 ft or more, it is very amazonian. with all sorts of small birds and hoot owls sounding out all during the day and tall trees casting shadows at all points. Water movement can also be heard coming from the canal that is eating away at the land there. but it is very peaceful and soulful- Definitely you can feel God and for sure see His work as it was supposed to be. collie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful country indeed.
I've been to the majority of the US and find beauty in every single state. Awesome views. Sights that make you realize this is not just random happenings, there has to be a God creating this fantastic beautiful awesome world. It gives me chills.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Beautiful country indeed.
I've been to the majority of the US and find beauty in every single state. Awesome views. Sights that make you realize this is not just random happenings, there has to be a God creating this fantastic beautiful awesome world. It gives me chills.

i don't want to get all Bible on you but i was taught that this is why God chose Abram. even though his father was an idol maker when Abram looked about he recognized that there can only be ONE creator God.

delmore

New to Hydrostatic Transmission

I just got a new 1140 and really like it. Any advice on using it to pull heavy loads and how to not the host like a regular gas pedal?

it takes some getting used to but i think i will like it

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I just got a new 1140 and really like it. Any advice on using it to pull heavy loads and how to not the host like a regular gas pedal?

it takes some getting used to but i think i will like it

when i pull heavy stuff i usually use low range and sometimes 4wd so the load is spread out over all axles. another useful trick is to use the hand throttle to rev the engine all the way and just control the transmission with the peddle.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Storm Preparation

It looks like Barry will affect a lot of members - either with rain or wind so everyone in the path get ready for power outages and flooding.No telling what ,where or how far the destruction will go as it moves north/northeast.
The weather is truly strange this year , with the sun so intense it seems to burn the skin as heat from an oven door. -- If power goes out have plenty of drinking water because it will be hot and sultry afterwards.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good thoughts Collie. May God protect you and all our members in the path of this storm. With the warm Gulf waters it has the makings for being a monster. I suspect it will have far reaching impacts even here in Ohio but y'all down south will bear the worst brunt of this one. Take heed and be prepared like Collie suggested. God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.