pictures

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those blades are handy.

4-5's going to 10's, with a surge, you may not have a beach left.

We had beachfront 6 bays north of you (just south of Sturgeon Point) when I was a kid. Our beach was about the same depth as yours. We had storms that put 6-12' of water completely over our beach and started into the bank. It tore out 10-20' deep by 10-20' high. I remember it well as we were trying to sandbag the neighbors house during that storm so he didn't loose it. Did you know it's a PITA to get sand when your beach is 10' under water???

fla45fan

We have quite a rise on the beach to the middle where most of the debris collects - I'm guessing 8-10 feet minimum. See in the pix where the firewood stack is? Do you remember November 10, 1975 by any chance? Gordon Lightfoot sings about it - the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. A huge storm along the Great Lakes that pushed 5-10 foot waves all the way up to the bottom of the stairs of the deck.

Attachments

• DSC02132.JPG
    DSC02132.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 35

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another good pic!!! :thumb:
I remember the Gordon Lightfoot song. :D

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I do recall the Edmund Fitzgerald. I was 12 at the time which would have been about right for that storm I was talking about.

fla45fan

The waves out in the bay were over 25 feet high - after theybroke on the beach they were still 5-10 at the bottom of those stairs under the deck. They took out three houses at the Sunset side of Hanford Bay. I was 16 at the time.

That beach in the picture is somewhere between 150-175 feet deep to the waters edge. During major storms the water rises upto 75 feet up the beach. Today we were up 40-50 feet