Warm, work gloves. ???

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
Can anyone recommend some work gloves that actually keep your hands warm? I have plenty that seem to hold in the cold but none that retain any heat. TIA

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You're in NC. It doesn't get cold there. ;)

What kind of work are you doing and is it going to be wet or dry. e.g. I won't recommend synthetic materials if you're dealing with heat (stick with leather outers) and won't recommend anything with anything like cotton if it's wet conditions.

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
You're in NC. It doesn't get cold there. ;)

What kind of work are you doing and is it going to be wet or dry. e.g. I won't recommend synthetic materials if you're dealing with heat (stick with leather outers) and won't recommend anything with anything like cotton if it's wet conditions.

lol, it gets -3 during the Winter, that's cold enough! I'm looking for something flexible enough that I can pick up tools, like a wrench. They need to be waterproof and I want them to be WARM. I've got as many gloves in the drawer as I do holsters, seems the same rules apply for both. Buy, try, put in drawer and continue looking.

I found these on Amazon but before I drop $45 bucks I figured I'd ask around. You know, from you guys that live where it actually gets cold. :wink:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First, when it gets to -3°, most of us say screw it, no need to pick up a wrench. ;)

In general, you're asking for too much out of a single pair of gloves unless you want to spend a lot of money. I have mitts that are good to -50° but no good for working with tools. They are made to have another pair of gloves underneath and you peal them off if you need to do anything.

IMHO, your best bet is to stuff your pockets with a variety of gloves. I use simple cotton gloves if I don't have to touch anything until it gets down to about 20°. After that, it's pull out some North Face for insulation/warmth but they're no good for working. For working, I switch to something like you linked to. I then switch back and forth based on what I'm doing. Once you get started, stuff the gloves inside your coat, under your arms instead of putting them back in the pocket. They're warm when you pull them out. No matter what, if moisture reaches your hand, DO NOT put those gloves back on.

It hasn't been cold enough to pull out the winter gear yet but I'll keep my eyes on my favorites.

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
First, when it gets to -3°, most of us say screw it, no need to pick up a wrench. ;)
Agreed, on these days I'm only going outside to load the dragon with firewood. But there always seems to be plenty to do on days when it's a warm, toasty 20*, and it's those days that I'm looking for something to keep my fingers warm. :wink: Thanks BC.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When it's 20° or above, most people I know (myself and my family included) wear cheap cotton knit gloves like these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-DOZEN-30...239936?hash=item1c31d6b900:g:hE4AAMXQhpdRuk8A
That's a bulk package/order but e-bay has them in smaller quantities.

They'll keep your hands warm enough for doing general things (including driving) or just standing around. They're thin enough to be a liner under heavier gloves on really cold days. That way, when you take your heavy gloves off to do something, your hands aren't bare.

If/when they become wet while wearing, they're no longer any good for warmth, set them aside and grab a dry pair (that's why I buy in bulk). I don't care for the white so when I order them, I also pick up some Rit clothing dye (available most anywhere)
https://www.amazon.com/Rit-Dye-Liqu...2G9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480945985&sr=8-1
I use black and after dyeing, they come out gray.

OK, if you don't like those and along the lines of what you linked to.
A friend of mine owns a commercial/industrial safety consulting company. As part of his business, he makes sure his clients are using appropriate gear for their employees. In the past few years, be it summer or winter, the gloves I see him wearing and testing all have rubber palms instead of leather. The rubber provides better grip and are more nimble.
I don't know what brands he's using or recommending (I can find out for you) but here's an example of cold-weather rubber palmed gloves.
https://www.amazon.com/Wells-Lamont...YK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1480946074&sr=8-13

As for really warm gloves, as mentioned, go with a quality brand like North Face. Be advised that their synthetic materials aren't good for working in heat or handling firewood.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Man you guys are tougher than I am. I spent the day outside backhoeing out the stumps of fallen orchard trees. 50 degrees, overcast, light wind. I never got chilled but I did feel like a few more degrees cooler and I might say 'maybe tomorrow'.

I used to work construction in weather down to about 40 but never cared much for that either.

Aside from maintaining livestock what's going on outside that cant wait?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Aside from maintaining livestock what's going on outside that cant wait?
Where I live, temps below 50 make up about 5-6 months of the year. All work efforts and activities go as usual until it goes down to the teens or lower. Then you need to make a call on whether it can wait. If it's sunny and little or no wind, teens aren't bad and the kids will even come outside to play.

ETA: Right now it's in the 20's. Family members are leaving the house to go to work or school. They're wearing sweatshirts. That's all that is needed when your body is used to it (and you're not staying outside for long durations).