RTV900 Strange Headlight Issue

quid_non

Greetings All!
Got a 2007 RTV900 that has slowly developed an annoying problem with the headlights. When you turn on the lights from the dash switch, sometimes they come on immediately - other times it literally take minutes for the lights to come on. Sometimes they do not come on at all. Fuses in good shape, bulbs are fine - switch seems to "ohm out" ok with VOM (that is - closed circuit when in off (no resistance) and open when turned on.

Any suggestions - perhaps ground wire? In addition, my LED lightbar does the same thing.

Appreciate any feedback!
Thanks!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I had that happen once and it a bad ground. At times they would also be dimmer. Once there was also a break in the ground wire causing it on my homemade console.
Maybe check the ground to the frame too. I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions. good luck :) . bordercollie

quid_non

Thanks for the prompt reply Collie!
Indeed - I solved the problem by removing the two ground cables(battery to body and main ground to body located right next to battery ground) cleaning them, coating with dielectric grease and reattaching. Did the same thing to battery posts - both pos/neg.
In addition - the switches were partially at fault - once I took the rocker switch apart I could see substantial amount of arcing across the contacts. Cleaned them up and they work, but will order new ones as this likely was a temporary fix.
Appreciate your help and suggestions!

Lee1935

Thanks for the prompt reply Collie!
Indeed - I solved the problem by removing the two ground cables(battery to body and main ground to body located right next to battery ground) cleaning them, coating with dielectric grease and reattaching. Did the same thing to battery posts - both pos/neg.
In addition - the switches were partially at fault - once I took the rocker switch apart I could see substantial amount of arcing across the contacts. Cleaned them up and they work, but will order new ones as this likely was a temporary fix.
Appreciate your help and suggestions!

Sounds like you should buy a little heavier (More amps) rocker switch