Im in full beg mode

Mark.Sibole

Been here for ages and always helped where i can.Now im in full beg mode.
Im in northern michigan and am in need of a set of used tire chains for a DB 990 tire size 16.9 x 30.
Christams is here and kids bankrupt me along with a severe rash of things breaking .
If anyone close has a set of chains they would like to part with that wont cost me an arm,leg or kids please let me know.
Id really appreciate any help i can get.The tractor dosnt do me no good this time of year when it just sits and spins tires.
Have a Merry Christmas and a great holiday season.

Mark

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sorry can't help with the chains. But I think a thread title of:

Wanted - tire chains for 16.9 x 30 tractor tire.

might be picked up by more search engines and seen by more people.

Good luck with this, and Merry Christmas!

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
Years ago I was in your shoes....I took some 3/8 chain and looped it around the tire and through the holes in the inter wheel and tied it with bailing wire...

did that on each rear tire on a m farmall and it worked right well....just try not to go to fast.....it worked for the two weeks it took for the county to clear the roads..... any chance you can do something like that?

Mark.Sibole

I Thought oif that as a last resort.I came across a craigs list link for 2 complete sets of semi chains for 100.With the 2 sets I may be able to come up with 1 set for the tractor and some repair material if I break one.
I know ill have the needed length but the width im concerned about.My tires ar 14 inches wide and the chains are only 16 inches wide.
Im wondering if I can get away with just 1 inch of over hang?
Maybe if I added a few chain cross links to hold each side down in place ?
Im going to go ahead and at least make the 40 mile drive to go look at them.Hopefully with any luck they will be something i can work with.
100 for the 2 sets or at least 1.77 to 2.50 per foot for 3/8 chain around here.I may need about 40 to 50 feet per wheel.Ill have to measure it out and see what can be done.

Mark

Mark.Sibole

Update on chains.I looked high and low and even begged like a liberal for chains lol.
I couldnt touch a set for under 600 around here.I went on craigs list and found 2 new sets of chains for a semi for 100.I took a chance on them but they were just to small.So me being who i am I took the 2 sets and cut the dise chains off each set.Split 50 links and spliced the sets together.After re welding the links back in i ended up with 1 set total at 32 inches wide to cover the wheel.I then had to add 2 feet in length to the total chain length to get them to about 12 feet long.Added 2 more ladder or cross links to the set.Now I have 1 complete set at 32 inches wide and 12 feet long.All welded up I drug them over to the tractor and walaaaaaaaaaaa got them on and they work great.I can now play in the ice and snow with no problems.Total cost was 110.00 and about 5 hours labor.

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
There ya go.....when there is a will....there is a way!!!!:17875:

and look at the :gotsmoney: ya saved and lessons ya learned!!!!GOOD SHOW :respect:

OrangeBuggy

Well that worked out well for you. For just a few bucks and some time you got what you needed and saved a few dollars in the process. Now go play, you can tell the wife they need to be tested.

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Glad you got those going Mark. Looked and asked around here and they only ones I could find were big ones that fit a large skidder and they wanted a lot for them. Great that you can hit the snow and ice running now! :clap:

Mark.Sibole

Thanks all. I had funt today.Ive been down since Christmas Eve with an MS attack and didnt get a lot done.Now the chains are done and installed it got to about 35 today so I had the ambitition to go out and play.I fired up the ol DB 990 to test the chains out in the field.We had about 18 inches of snow on the grond.
I pulled in the field and before you knew it I have about 4 acres of grass showing and 1 big snow pile lol.
They work well and im happy I saved the money and was persistant enough to make these work so i didnt feel I lost 100 on a hope and pray project.