Cracked Casting/Cover

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hey.....Attached are a couple of pictures that show a hairline crack in the Casting/Cover at the rear of the transmission on my 05 RTV. The crack runs from the bolt at 9, down to 7, and then across and up to 5 and 3 OClocks………...It is a very fine hairline but leaks enough fluid in a few days to be a real problem with running the trans dry and the expense of replacement fluid or trans...……..
I am going to try some JB Weld on the crack externally, a coating; but doubt if that will actually work.
What is behind that cover so if and when I pull the 6 bolts is something gonna fly out or go out of adjustment or the like????????……….Thanks for the thoughts...…….

Am trying to load some pics but having a hard time. A quick description so I can get some, hopefully thoughts...…..The cover is at the very rear of the transmission, immediately to the left of the oil filter. It has 6 bolts holding it, has a webbed indention that comes out with an allen wrench hex head something in the middle of it...…...

Attachments

• rtv jpg 1.jpg
    rtv jpg 1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 115
  • rtv jpg 2.jpg
    rtv jpg 2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Dennis, Have you priced the cover? It may not be like I remember but will take a look at the Messick's site and see if I can find it on their diagram page. I-ve heard good things about JB weld but never used it.
Since I use the phone to take pictures, I send those pictures to my computer email and then download them . I write down the picture number that shows on the download bar of it and type that number in the picture download button - They usually , but not always show up that way. This is after I first click on the Advanced button and then the find pictures column from the forum.

edit: If its part K , that looks expensive !!
Edit 2 :
Another page at their site Link follows in another post, shows another possibility .

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
is this a RTV 900? need pics to be sure but i think the pump swash plates are under that cover. should be an easy replacement. i doubt that JB is going to help because of the case pressure when running will probably just force oil out. look on ebay for salvage parts.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You are right about the pump pressure blowing it out but worth the try perhaps...…..Arthuritis……

Judy, thanks for the thoughts and I finally got the pics to post but yes, they need rotating...…….

What I wonder is when I pull those 6 bolts, is something gonna move, flyout, or get out of adjustment as I remove the cover????……….Or, get the new cover, put some sealer on the new gasket with it, replace the bolts and get on with life...….???

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Judy, I had been studying that drawing and it is part "k"...…..nothing on the parts list to show what it is called and I opened the other drawings, like 10 or so, and nothing there...……..Will call them I guessssss

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Messicks only sells the WHOLE OUTSIDE CASE, not parts, covers or whatever...…..Looks like a salvage yard or whatever...…….the question is...….What is inside of that cover and is it gonna fly apart or something

Got a SUPER TECH....Doug who gave me the part number K 7561-14722.....now lets see.....In addition Doug is emailing instructions as to how to install the cover so that should give some answer as to the "how"...…….

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Talking about part number 070 in the drawing below:

D01800 HST 3 [COMPONENT PARTS

The only way I can get that on here is to go to the list of schematics and put in the D01800 hst 3...…….then it shows the cover as part 070 ……….by the way it's ,,,,,,,,,,,,$147

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
shouldn't be any surprises. but i wouldn't take it down until i found a replacement. you might be able to have it tig welded but i would be afraid of warp.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The replacement is on the way. It's called a "motor cover" and a gasket. When I remove that. COULD SOMEONE ADVISE ME PLEASE...…...What will happen with that device that is attached to the cover????????? Does it SPRING apart or anything else inside there going to fall out????……...

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
in the center raised part there should be a roller bearing. under the long off centered raised tower is a captive spring and plunger that push against the swash plate. on the inside are the swash plate cradle bearings. just take it loose and pull straight out slow and careful. remember to use some white assembly grease on the cradle bearings and other control surfaces when you reassemble. be very clean note the location of the long bolts and replace them into their original location.

Last edited:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So when I pull it off, do yuu think that the roller bearing will fall apart?>>>with balls going everywhere or is it a caged bearing???

So actually, NOTHING is gonna go SPROING, KABOING, PLOP, or fly????

All I hope to do is to take it off, identify each of the LONG bolts for replacing exactly, and then the plunger with spring will come out. I have ordered a new "O" ring for that shaft.....I guess I will just have to see what happens..….Thanks BUD FOR THE HELP and advice...…….

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i haven't personally been in to an rtv 900 transmission so take what i say with that in mind. i would remove the large hex plug first and take out the spring and plunger. then remove the cover. i think the needle bearing has a cage but be careful anyway. i would say there is a chance you may meed a new bearing anyway and also the cradle bearings will probably be damaged from the cover warping. just won't know till you get in there. remember that you arent removing the valve plate just the cover. inside you should find a big heavy swash plate with a shaft running through it and into the cover and needle bearing. there is a good chance that you will have problems getting the needle bearing out of the old cover anyway. i would order a new one before i proceed. and if the cradle bearings aren't expensive i would get those too. your call. don't forget to drain the oil first.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I would also put out a big light colored sheet to work on top of incase things fall out. This has helped me many times. That's wise to mark the bolts- I don't know how many times that I've discovered different length bolts. I also take a bunch of pictures.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Judy, the blanket or sheet also tends to "absorb" some of the bounce when springs, ball bearings, or my attitude when things go SPROING……..

Yes, have drained that gold colored liquid that they call lubricant and I call overpriced....So if I go ahead and remove hex plug and attached pieces......Yes, good idea as when I remove the cover it could easily knock something out of alignment or sitting there loose waiting for a chance to fall...……

This will, I hope, come to a conclusion on Friday because the cover and parts will be delivered tomorrow...….Thanks for allll the help FOLKS!!!!

shinnery

By my count from your pictures there are seven bolts not six. Not a big point you will have to remove all of them to get that cover off. Hope everything is as planned and no suprizes.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You are right Shinnery......7 bolts to mark, take pictures of, and lay out according to where they were removed and then of course to install again...…

To remove that hex head plug, I need to find a 17mm Allen wrench or scrounge through my bolt bucket for a bolt and a couple of nuts. Back up the second nut tight against the first and then use it for the loosening device along with the correct wrench of course...…

What kind of gasket "stick em" would you use. The shop manual says to use "white" grease on stuff to hold it in place.....Is there a name for this when I go to Auto Zone....

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
By the way, I cleaned up the crack really well. Each time I cleaned it though, fluid began to weep through in a minute or so. Tried to drain everything for a couple of days now but the stuff still keeps seeping. I put JB Weld last night. Perhaps 1/2 of the crack is stopped but the rest is just as bad as without...……….OH well, after it's off will put it over in the bin with all the other, "someday salvage scrap"......

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
that cover holds the swash plate against the pumps so there is quite a lot of force put against it when the swash is tilted to start things going. i don't think JB will hold up under the constant flexing. but if all that cover did was to just hold fluid in then i think that JB would probably stop the leak. has the High Pressure relief been adjusted on this machine? or has the servo been tampered with? just curious???